The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
laugh.gif
^

I envy that lifestyle man, it seems so dope, but im too uptight. I live vicariously through Abel and y'all.

Lmao, that lifestyle is cool and all for like 2 or 3 years until you realize that there's not much room for progression bro! None the less Even after I'm done with all dat I still dig the music

Weeknd infiltrating the mainstream, I knew it was only a matter of time.

Idk how guys like Chris Brown/Trey didn't hit him up to write the whole album, don't let that ego get in the way.

I never said that I'd be sober in the first place :smh: :smh: :smh:

**** your new man, I'mma break it up :smh: :smh: :smh:

TOO MUCH REAL LIFE

#ALLADEMSWALLOW

Tellin you track is a legit banger, didn't think so initially but I feel a lot different now. So much confidence, dude skated. Like how he shouted out Drake not really by name though. We need more collabs. He's brimming with pride right now.

This my sound ***** **** your sound did it from the ground ask around ***** when I touch down I'ma shake **** up

**** your new man I'ma break it up

He can come back when I go on the road

But that ***** mine for the next three months

Skated

I'll backtrack a little bit. After listening to KOTF a few more times in passing, I don't believe it's wack anymore. Still could've been better with such a dope title IMO.

Weeknd infiltrating the mainstream, I knew it was only a matter of time.

Idk how guys like Chris Brown/Trey didn't hit him up to write the whole album, don't let that ego get in the way.
nah man, that ghostwriting will pigeon hole a lot off ppl. 

i dont doubt dudes might have asked for a song or two, but as an artist you gotta draw the line and just do you for you. 

Drake probably tried to milk him for songs but dude wasnt having it and went his own way to get a deal. i dont know this for sure but the industry be like that. 

Speaking of writing for Drake - Shot For Me - if that verse first doesn't just scream Abel louder and louder with each successive line 
mean.gif

I can see it in your eyes, you're angry

Regret got **** on what you're feelin' now

Mad cause he ain't like me

Oh you mad cause nobody ever did it like me

All the care I would take

All the love that we made

Now you're trying to find somebody to replace what I gave to you

It's a shame you didn't keep it Alisha, Catya,

I know that you gon' hear this

I'm the man, yeah I said it

*****, I'm the man, don't you forget it

The way you walk, that's me

The way you talk, that's me

The way you've got your hair up, did you forget that's me?

And the voice in your speaker right now that's me that's me, 

and the voice in your ear right now, that's me, 

can't you see that I made it? Yeah, I made it

First I made you who you are and then I made it

Last edited:
Can we confirm that Weekmd wrote that? :nerd:

Never realized it but "First I made you who you are then I made it" does sound like some stuff he'd come up with. Not discrediting Aubrey, just saying.

He is credited with writing credits for that particularly song, don't know how we'd confirm if he wrote that specific verse but there hasn't been a doubt in my mind since the very first time I heard it. 

Can we confirm that Weekmd wrote that?
nerd.gif

Never realized it but "First I made you who you are then I made it" does sound like some stuff he'd come up with. Not discrediting Aubrey, just saying.
I don't know about that particular verse, but Weeknd said it was supposed to be on HOB and Drake said Weeknd wrote it and he "re-worked" it.
STEREOGUM: How have you written the songs? I understand you write with Abel Tesfaye (the Weeknd).

DRAKE: The only person I really write with is Abel and that’s mostly for melodical stuff. I usually put the melodies to it, actually, to be honest with you, aside from Abel performed “Shot For Me” a record called “Shot For Me” which Abel wrote and I re-worked.

Source: http://www.stereogum.com/871972/stereogum-qa-drake/franchises/interview/
House of Balloons was actually supposed to have more songs than it does. I had so many records left, and then Take Care came through. “Crew Love,” “Shot for Me,” and “The Ride” were supposed to be on House of Balloons. I wanted to come out with like 14 records. I felt like “The Ride” was the last one, and it wasn’t done yet. [Drake] heard it and he was like, “This ****’s crazy.”

Source: http://www.complex.com/music/2013/07/weeknd-interview-cover-story/page/1
Side note:
In your mind, what was “The Ride” supposed to be?

There are two ways of making music for me. There’s a calculated route—like, I know exactly what I’m going to do with this song. And then there’s the free mind. That was one of the free-minded records. It was all subconscious. I’ll make the music first and loop it, and then I’ll go into the booth and start singing almost 45 minutes straight. And these are not words; this is gibberish. It’s a songwriter language. There are lyrics on Thursday, I don’t even know what the **** I said. “Gone” was a complete freestyle.

Source: http://www.complex.com/music/2013/07/weeknd-interview-cover-story/page/2
I kinda got that vibe from Gone
laugh.gif

Yea that's always been part of the greatness of Gone. I remember before a lot of us knew it was actually a freestyle we were already definitely getting that vibe.

House of Balloons is a masterpiece, end of story...if we're all around by 2020, I legitimately think that we're talking about that as one of the best albums of the decade (even tho it's a mixtape)

Back
Top Bottom