The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
I wouldn't go as far as saying alienating. He still gave us OG fans tastes of the old music. Just most didn't receive it well. He's going to be riding this pop wave for awhile though.

And to think, at the time I thought that was the most mainstreamish sounding song ever coming from him 
laugh.gif
 I ended up rockin with it though

Last edited:
Speak for yourselves you heathens, BBTM is still in my rotation. Heavily.
nthat.gif

Real Life

Tell Your Friends

The Hills

Acquainted/GBIT90s

Can't Feel My Face

Dark Times

Prisoner

As You Are

Depending how long my earphones are in, those songs have been played ever since it came out.
nthat.gif

Cats was in here stoning me b/c I couldn't get into it. Mess was very bland and lacked passion. Like they made son record the project sober with his parents in the room or something.

Same. I had to take a break from the thread. It's the beginning of the end :smh:

I'm just glad other random singers are coming up on a different wave. Still rock with BBTM but I'm praying he isn't gone forever. Folks can say XO is still sprinkled in but that's just it, I don't want sprinkles

I'm just glad other random singers are coming up on a different wave. Still rock with BBTM but I'm praying he isn't gone forever. Folks can say XO is still sprinkled in but that's just it, I don't want sprinkles

None of us do fam. I just don't agree that he alienated his OG fans. He tried something new. It is what it is. With that said though every time I hear the end of As You Are, I can't help but imagine what this album could've been.

He hasn't alienated me yet but honestly it's such a different feeling these days. To see him become this mainstream and exposed, a whole different type aura he got. Person to person happy for the dude, make that $$$ it's just different as a fan of the music

Should he release BBTM 2.0 for his next project... that would be interesting 

Last edited:
He could only do so much with his trilogy style before it would've grown stale to most listeners. As long as he blesses us occasionally I think it could be a good balance. If he goes full bubblegum pop though I'm out.

KL was nothing like Trilogy and it was amazing music to me so I don't buy the "he didn't have anywhere else to go". He clearly wanted to cash out which anyone can hardly blame him

BBTM was a good album though don't get me wrong

I'm saying most ppl only want that trilogy sound from him. KL honestly wasn't too far off from it imo. It was different but still in the same lane I think. He wants to be a big star and in order to live that dream he has to make music that resonates with the masses. Not saying he can't accomplish that with his previous sound but if he were to only make music from the trilogy era he'd fizz out sooner than later imo. We'd probably all love it but we're only a small percentage.

Yeah he definitely could have continued to evolve his sound while maintaining the same themes and overall style

He didn't choose that path tho

Kiss Land was Dexter season 4 and BBTM is Dexter season 5

I'm saying most ppl only want that trilogy sound from him. KL honestly wasn't too far off from it imo. It was different but still in the same lane I think. He wants to be a big star and in order to live that dream he has to make music that resonates with the masses. Not saying he can't accomplish that with his previous sound but if he were to only make music from the trilogy era he'd fizz out sooner than later imo. We'd probably all love it but we're only a small percentage.
KL had completely different production and was like a concept album, one long story

I don't think it was similar to Trilogy at all

But yeah like I already said, he was going for the mass appeal with BBTM

Last edited:
KL had completely different production and was like a concept album, one long story

I don't think it was similar to Trilogy at all

But yeah like I already said, he was going for the mass appeal with BBTM

The mixtapes sort of played out one big story as well. I think all of his albums paint a story. BBTM just wasn't as cohesive. You're right that KL doesn't sound like the trilogy but it's very trilogy based.

I think his next album will sound completely different. I even expect the subject material to eventually change as well.

Yeah he definitely could have continued to evolve his sound while maintaining the same themes and overall style

damnit I know exactly what you mean
mean.gif
laugh.gif

Spot on, said something similar around when it dropped.

Back
Top Bottom