The Wire Appreciation/Discussion Post

Episode 7 of the final season is done.
Clay Davis is the ultimate finesser. Can't even be mad. *Kanye shrug*
Omar is FIENDING for Marlo.
I'm disappointed with McNulty's actions. I thought his scumbag days were behind him. Doing Beadie wrong. :smh:
This serial killer/newspaper **** has gotten out of hand. :lol: :smh:

3 more episodes. :nerd:

one time for slim charles for being the last man standing.

This is one of my favorite quotes from Slim. He always had wise words.

One of my favorite things about this show is how they are able to express profound things very simply.

Series done.
Michael da new Omar. :pimp:
Snoop went out like a G.
Omar getting offed by a kid :smh:
Shardene is bae.
Marlo >>>> *

This show is extremely entertaining but what makes it even more amazing is how it sheds light on the corrupt/greedy ways of many institutions and how humans are naturally selfish.

BPD juking stats, their usage of unethical/illegal methods to solve cases, etc...
Political figures not interested in the welfare of Baltimore... At first, I thought Carcetti really cared about the citizens, but the motive of his actions was to become governor.
The school system's concern with funding (the attendance of truants for example) and performance in state assessments instead of teaching the students useful skills.
The Baltimore Sun's interest with prestige/profit rather than reporting on news that's actually relevant. Making up stories n ****.
Stringer going behind Avon's back, Marlo's obsession with his reputation, Prop Joe's deceitfulness.
Blackmailing, cheating, stealing, lying, etc... no one is perfect. We're all humans and we all do dirt; some more than others.
Dog-eat-dog world.

The epigraphs of each episode :pimp:
Two rap lyrics that can be used as an epigraph for the show:
"Show them how to move in a room full of vultures." - Jay-Z
"Real bosses don't talk, we just sit back and listen." - Young Dolph

Forever standing tall... regardless of my circumstances. :pimp:

Series done.
Michael da new Omar. :pimp:
Snoop went out like a G.
Omar getting offed by a kid :smh:
Shardene is bae.
Marlo >>>> *

This show is extremely entertaining but what makes it even more amazing is how it sheds light on the corrupt/greedy ways of many institutions and how humans are naturally selfish.

BPD juking stats, their usage of unethical/illegal methods to solve cases, etc...
Political figures not interested in the welfare of Baltimore... At first, I thought Carcetti really cared about the citizens, but the motive of his actions was to become governor.
The school system's concern with funding (the attendance of truants for example) and performance in state assessments instead of teaching the students useful skills.
The Baltimore Sun's interest with prestige/profit rather than reporting on news that's actually relevant. Making up stories n ****.
Stringer going behind Avon's back, Marlo's obsession with his reputation, Prop Joe's deceitfulness.
Blackmailing, cheating, stealing, lying, etc... no one is perfect. We're all humans and we all do dirt; some more than others.
Dog-eat-dog world.

The epigraphs of each episode :pimp:
Two rap lyrics that can be used as an epigraph for the show:
"Show them how to move in a room full of vultures." - Jay-Z
"Real bosses don't talk, we just sit back and listen." - Young Dolph

Forever standing tall... regardless of my circumstances. :pimp:
Man show is the ****
so in know a lot of folks didn't like season 2
I did
Wasn't the best season
But I appreciated it in the overall story of the series
How u feel about it

I hated Marlo at first man. His demeanor and the way he handled **** bothered me so much. Something I found interesting about season 4, the whole season we see Marlo ordering hits for the dumbest of reasons, but when it came to Bodie and the reason why he was killed it made you understand just why he was like that. Like he said to Chris "you wanna risk it? Take a chance?" You're basically forced to sit there and agree with him because we already knew what Bodie was up to during his talk with McNulty. That **** sucks, but it was just another little tidbit that made me think about his character and why they made him the way they did.

Stringer is a different story, though. I loved Stringer and could relate to everything he did when it came to how he handled the streets. The problem was he thought he was smarter than everybody else, all that maneuvering he did behind Avon's back rightly came back to bite him. He was a just an extremely street smarts dude who got to be way in over his head when it was all said and done.

I hated Marlo at first man. His demeanor and the way he handled **** bothered me so much. Something I found interesting about season 4, the whole season we see Marlo ordering hits for the dumbest of reasons, but when it came to Bodie and the reason why he was killed it made you understand just why he was like that. Like he said to Chris "you wanna risk it? Take a chance?" You're basically forced to sit there and agree with him because we already knew what Bodie was up to during his talk with McNulty. That **** sucks, but it was just another little tidbit that made me think about his character and why they made him the way they did.

Stringer is a different story, though. I loved Stringer and could relate to everything he did when it came to how he handled the streets. The problem was he thought he was smarter than everybody else, all that maneuvering he did behind Avon's back rightly came back to bite him. He was a just an extremely street smarts dude who got to be way in over his head when it was all said and done.
Interesting take on things, but I think it would make more sense if you switched your perspective between them. I've always admired Marlo, he's the most honest one, actually he's the black man that everyone fears. That Ferguson officer, Darren Wilson wouldn't have pulled that with Marlo. I've been to Baltimore, recently, and they have law enforcement SHOOK. What the producers were trying to explain with the interaction between the key black men is that they have what it takes to build an enterprise if America just kept its boot off our necks. McNulty came to that realization when he saw Stringer's apartment after he was killed, he didn't realize how small on the food chain he actually was to Stringer and how easily Stringer could have took him out, or telegraph his moves.

It's sad because both Marlo and Stringer together? That would've been beautiful. Marlo, Jamie Hector, was chosen for the character the same reason he was chosen for Heroes, "big cat eyes", predatory killing machine. He was "king of the jungle", we saw that when he left the party after earning his freedom and broke apart them corner boys with no hesitation. Chris wasn't built like that, Chris followed orders with cold blooded compassion, he was a broken war veteran returning from the Middle-East. 

Stringer on the other hand was someone I hated, but because everyone thought he was good looking and I was jealous. But that's how good the producers were, they even wrote lines into script that suggested that's how he was able to manuver the way he did. DeAngelo's mom said something about it after she knew he was sleeping with Donnette. But as an adult, I understand now that Stringer wasn't heartless, his environment broke his heart and he hated it. They explained that too, from him and Avon's argument and scuffle, and also the rootop farewell. After Stringer died, Avon admitted that Stringer's mentality was right all along and truthfully Stringer died protecting Avon from himself. Stringer did what was necessary to keep Avon's family safe. DeAngelo and "pit boys", called Stringer the "Queen" piece on the chessboard in one episode, and that's how he felt. They wrote his character as a self-emasculated black male that is a true victim of his environment, he was like Namond Brice, without a rescuer like Bunny. He's smart and could have did anything in life if he was given half of a chance. But people from his environment only respect money and power, which is why when he pleaded for his life he couldn't understand "respect" because he was most likely driven mad with pursuance of what everyone respected which was "gangsta ********", as he put it. Avon hinted at that when he says "you were never built for this".

Last edited:
[Video]

I just watched this video and was curious what the song was so I looked it up and it's, "Bossman (BMore rapper)- AYO."

Omar refers to Marlo as "Bossman" in this scene. The little details make The Wire that much more awesome. :pimp:[/Video]

i think it's cause it was filmed to look "gritty" so the hd takes away from that

Last edited:
Watching now on HBO, and to be filmed 12-13 years ago, it's actually cutting edge. ...I agree, it's meant to be gritty and hardcore.

Back
Top Bottom