this is the best advice i read on sprained ankles. vol. walk on it

I sprained my ankle pretty bad about 1 1/2 years ago. Stayed off it for a couple days. Never saw a PT for it. I pretty much run everyday. I still get tweaks from it every so often. So probably not the best advice from op, but i can say that I'm still functional.

There is a reason why routine sports medicine revolves around the protocol of RICE, it is the best way to deal with a sprain on any part of your body.

The only exception to this and the morsel of truth in this post is that, heat and motion are good for very mild sprains. If the sprain is very mild, you can just walk it off, keep playing ball and ice it later that night. If the sprain is just bad enough that you cannot just walk the thing off, ice it 90% of your waking hours (serious, during the summer of '03, I had a half dozen mild rolled ankles and one moderate to severe sprain and beat Zelda: Wind Waker, with my foot plunged in a bucket of ice water) and the rest of the time put it in a jacuzzi or a tub of warm water (even better if you dissolved in a lot of epsom salts) and moved my foot around in every direction. Do not just wiggle the foot around, smoothly and as quickly as is comfortable rotate clockwise and counter clockwise a few dozen times every time you plunge your foot in heat.

BTW, as a basketball fan it is always said right after the NBA Finals are finished but as a basketball player, Summer is the best time of the year because people are honed and eager to play, it is the campaign season for pickup games. You have teenagers, trying to improve so they can make the Varsity squad next fall and older guys like me, who start to assemble several nights per week and/or weekends. Just talking about something prosaic as how to deal with this season's routine injuries, has me excited. Every summer will always involve some great basketball related movements.

Back
Top Bottom