Thoughts on the Johnathon Martin - Ritchie Incognito situation?

The culture isn't effed up, it's called evolving. Times have changed. Stuff that was acceptable 20 years ago don't fly no more, learn to adapt. **** can't be the same forever.

This is basically like some elementary school bullying. A dude picks out the weakest guy and ****'s with him until something happens. Martin shoulda stood up and told Incognito get outta here with that BS and kept it moving and if that means they had to throw hands then so be it. But like I said in the WIR thread it's a different story if he has some mental issues or whatever.
this.

i was reading reports that martin participated in some pranks towards other teammates as well though,

The same prank he snapped on was the same prank he was part of against another teammate, so he doesnt seem as sensitive and he could take a joke...speculating of course.

That part just makes this feel like its an isolated situation between him and Incognito going too far

Last edited:
Obviously Incognito is an idiot and deserves to be suspended for a long time, but Martin needs to stand up for himself at his job.

Isn't that what he did?

I don't understand why people keep playing this angle as if Martin was in the wrong for not physically handling the situation.

Martin is a smart dude, Stanford, so he played his cards right. He's probably thinking of it as an employee/employer relationship and he took the proper steps to protect his livelihood.

We think of these guys as football players, but this is their job. The Dolphins are an employer, fans/analyst/experts fail to draw that line, time and time again.

This isn't a rec team, where people play on weekends, these guys aren't weekend warriors.

So most of you are saying if a fellow employee is bad mouthing you, your first step is to physically assault him? :lol:

If you don't have a career, don't answer the question. We know you don't really care about that part time job at Foot Locker.

Yeah compare your job where your probably easily replaced to a pro athletes where we know that fights happen all the time.

Flawed logic all over the place.

Last edited:
Isn't that what he did?

I don't understand why people keep playing this angle as if Martin was in the wrong for not physically handling the situation.

Martin is a smart dude, Stanford, so he played his cards right. He's probably thinking of it as an employee/employer relationship and he took the proper steps to protect his livelihood.

We think of these guys as football players, but this is their job. The Dolphins are an employer, fans/analyst/experts fail to draw that line, time and time again.

This isn't a rec team, where people play on weekends, these guys aren't weekend warriors.

So most of you are saying if a fellow employee is bad mouthing you, your first step is to physically assault him? :lol:

If you don't have a career, don't answer the question. We know you don't really care about that part time job at Foot Locker.

Exactly. "Football is a alpha male, violent sport." OK, let me know how many teams are gonna want to pick up someone who beats up his teammates after feeling insulted :lol: NT has no common sense

Last edited:
not sure why 9 to 5 jobs and professional sports are being compared here.

workplace conduct in the office or where have you is a whole different atmosphere.

teammates go at it in practice, training camp etc all the time.  does it make it right? no, but it's more of a norm in professional sports as opposed to a professional work atmosphere.

i want more details to come out though because its a bad look on his part that he participated in the same type of pranks that he got mad over.  

also while incognito may be a jerk and a scumbag, im curious as to why the majority of his teammates have his back, especially when you consider there might of been racially motivated stuff said. i find that odd when you consider the negative deserved backlash riley cooper got which some of it came from his own teammates and it was understandable.

i don't want to jump to conclusions and paint martin out as this helpless innocent victim until everything comes out.

Exactly. "Football is a alpha male, violent sport." OK, let me know how many teams are gonna want to pick up someone who beats up his teammates after feeling insulted :lol: NT has no common sense

Guess you never heard of Bill Romanowski, huh? Guy always had a spot on a team regardless of how many teammates he knocked out. Just 1 example.

Last edited:
Obviously Incognito is an idiot and deserves to be suspended for a long time, but Martin needs to stand up for himself at his job.

Isn't that what he did?

Yeah compare your job where your probably easily replaced to a pro athletes where we know that fights happen all the time.

Flawed logic all over the place.
If you are going to quote me spare the extra lecture stuff. What makes my comment so "flawed" besides you disagree with it? In comparison to the person I quoted it makes sense. Of course at a normal 9 to 5 you can't do what you can do on a sports team and get away with it. That's all I was saying so if you wanted to fight that person you have a lower chance of getting fired than if this happened at your job. Don't know why that's so "flawed" Like I said before when we have discussions folks get so in their feeling on both sides they act like even though we disagree both sides could have points.

The same prank he snapped on was the same prank he was part of against another teammate, so he doesnt seem as sensitive and he could take a joke...speculating of course.

That part just makes this feel like its an isolated situation between him and Incognito going too far

Yeah, it seems like he thought Martin was weak and he wanted to see how far he could take it. Then the racist stuff is a whole other issue and the team knew nothing? Somebody on that team shoulda called Incognito in a room, locked the door and whooped his ***.

Hopefully Martin can come back, perform on the field and put this behind him.

So now Brent Grimes has stated that Richie was cool and no one had any issues with him. Cam Wake is cool and saw no harm.

Remember, Richie is the horrible, racist, bigot etc, and all the black players on the Dolphins got no qualms? That sound reasonable to anybody?

And by the way, the only Dolphin that has come out and said anything positive on Martin's end is Jared Odrick. (that I know of as of now)

Also have someone reporting that 3 GM's they spoke to said this was a non issue and all locker rooms have their jokes, pranks, etc. They don't see the issue here.

So I'm confused. Incognito's dad looks like a dumb ***, but one of the first things Richie did was attack ESPN and claim he was bein railroaded for this. Clearly, CLEARLY the NFL had "something" on him for the Dolphins to suspend him asap, but why aren't the players killin him? He's the racist, evil dude in this, why aren't they throwing gas on him right now? The hell are they defending him for?

There's more coming in this story. Gotta be. :smh:

D. Shelby, just quoted, he thinks Richie is fine and never saw any problems at all. Yet another player backing him.

Last edited:
Players could just be trying to protect their locker room.

Keep everything in house. They could just have an issue with this all being leaked to the public.

it's more to this story then what meets the eye for sure. 

all these teammates backing him says something to me.   i'm sure their aware that by backing him their risking negative publicity.  its not just one teammate backing him but rather quite a few.

if martin really was bullied to a point where it was over the line then that's one thing.

however if he partook and hazing and pranks as well and had a boy that cried wolf mentality when he felt people went to far with him then he's a selfish individual that should and most likely will be blackballed from the league.

i say this because if he exaggerated his claims, he's doing a disservice to any future player who very well be the victim of legit bullying and might be scare to come forward because of how jonathan martin went about things exaggerating.

if his claims are legit and he does have some type of mental problem then obviously i retract that last part but if he were to be exaggerating the claims, he's just doing a huge disservice for anyone who may really be the victim of locker room bullying in the future.  

Honestly, I've been thinking about this all day. Yeah, it's easy to say suck it up and get over it. You're a tough NFL player and you can't be no punk. But the man is human. Yeah there is hazing, but that voice mail clearly isn't hazing. There's something more there. It bothered Martin so much so that he quit the team. Who does that? Just up and quit an NFL team? That's really unusual. I don't see Incognito working for a long time, and I'm not sure if Martin will be back. For Incognito, stuff like this is a red flag and won't be tolerated in any locker room, so he might be out of football because of this. I agree that the other offensive lineman and QB should have known. I mean, you have to be close with the O line if you're the QB, how could Tannehill not have known? However this turns out, I hope that this incident shows people that bullying doesn't only occur in school on a playground.

Players could just be trying to protect their locker room.

Keep everything in house. They could just have an issue with this all being leaked to the public.
i think they would be reluctant to risk negative publicity though and to be labeled as the guy who cosigned the bully.  that's a bad look for them.

this situation should've been handled in house though and the fact that it wasn't falls on coaching for not doing anything about it when he made his inital complaint before.  

Exactly. "Football is a alpha male, violent sport." OK, let me know how many teams are gonna want to pick up someone who beats up his teammates after feeling insulted
laugh.gif
NT has no common sense
Guess you never heard of Bill Romanowski, huh? Guy always had a spot on a team regardless of how many teammates he knocked out. Just 1 example.
Steve Smith also broke a teammates jaw in training camp

Yeah. How about Ahmad Brooks? He busted his teammate over the head with a henny bottle. He's still out there every sunday. Why? Because he can set the edge, drop into coverage and get to the qb.

Scuffles with teammates or opponents aint new in football. Football players like to police themselves and keep everything in the locker room.

Ritchie Incognito needs an *** whoopin. Wasn't he voted dirtiest player in the league a couple years back by his peers?

Last edited:
Dude is a punk.

yup, no need to go that hard at a friend/team mate AT ALL :smh:

light joking around but seems like this dude and who ever else was doing it purely to get off and its sick.

it happens more than we think but some just dont get bothered by it as much as this guy did.

I like what they're preaching on ESPN right now. Keyshawn and Cris Carter speaking truths.

I like what they're preaching on ESPN right now. Keyshawn and Cris Carter speaking truths.
Totally.  Very on point and you can tell they feel strongly about it.

Pointing out that veteran leaders, coach, and GM all deserve some blame for letting this go on.

None of the tough-guy crap, "Jonathan Martin is weak" blah blah.  Cris Carter saying:  this is the NFL, we have a guy now on trial for multiple murders, if someone told me they were going to kill me I would be legitimately scared too.

Personally I genuinely have no problem with standard hazing stuff, but this is way, way too far.  Don't blame Martin for how he reacted, either- he doesn't know any better as to how things run in this organization.  Even if he doesn't have mental health issues (which it sounds like he may), if the Dolphins let this kind of thing go on he may have felt like it was endorsed by management and he just had to go along with it.  Young dude trying to learn the way and get ahead.

Last edited:
Exactly. "Football is a alpha male, violent sport." OK, let me know how many teams are gonna want to pick up someone who beats up his teammates after feeling insulted
laugh.gif
NT has no common sense
For real.  Martin is not a star player- he's probably nervous about keeping his job already.  Dude does NOT want to make waves.

For the dude who said Romanowski, some guys are comfortable enough with their position to feel they can get away with anything.  That doesn't necessarily apply to the guys on the margins.

Deadspin has a vid (courtesy of TMZ) of this ape, Igcognito, going HAM in a bar yelling "Mike Pouncey, N'..." :smh:

TMZ putting way too much sauce on that video. He says "Mike Pouncey, ni6 6a. MIKE-MOFO-POUNCEY" while Mike Pouncey is standing right there. He didn't say anything racist and sounds like he was having one of those drunken moments where he was hyping up his boy while his inner b-rad came out.

Dude was beyond wasted doe :rofl:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom