Tian Sheng Yu Slaying

Well, considering that this thread was locked because folks just go too rowdy with the racism, I hope those people refrain from posting on this thread.

Just a quick update: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/23/BA9N1D2RC1.DTL&type=printable

[h1]Rum, anger fueled slaying suspects, D.A. says[/h1]
(04-22) 17:21 PDT OAKLAND --Two young men were drinking rum on a downtown Oakland street, angry at life and looking for someone to punch, before they happened on a San Francisco man who had come to town with his father to shop, prosecutors said Thursday.

Lavonte Drummer and Dominic Davis, both 18 and Oakland residents, were charged with murder in connection with what authorities called a random, unprovoked attack on the son on April 16 and the subsequent fatal beating of his father, Tian Sheng Yu, 59, of San Francisco.

Although there has been speculation that the attack was motivated in part by race - Drummer and Davis are African American, and the elder Yu was a Chinese immigrant - Chief Deputy District Attorney Tom Rogers said the suspects could have sucker-punched anyone who crossed their path on Telegraph Avenue near the Fox Theater. He said there was no evidence the attack was a hate crime.

Rogers painted a picture of the defendants as thugs with juvenile arrest records who were killing time on a Friday afternoon by sharing a bottle of Bacardi rum and grousing about their lives.

Drummer in particular, he said, was "frustrated by personal circumstances."

"Drummer stated that he had anger and frustration over his life and planned on hitting someone," police wrote in a statement that outlined grounds for the arrests.
[h3]Shopping for coins[/h3]
It was random bad luck, Rogers said, that brought Yu and his son, Jin Cheng Yu, 27, into contact with the two as they were on their way to shop for coins at a jewelry store.

The son was the first victim, being sucker-punched by Drummer as the elder Yu was parking his car, Rogers said. Tian Sheng Yu approached the two men and, in Mandarin, demanded an explanation.

He "gestured to both suspects with his finger, but did not touch either suspect," the police statement said.

Video of the attack shows Drummer punching the elder Yu with his right hand, Rogers said. Davis then hit him with a left hook, authorities said.

Tian Sheng Yu "appeared dazed for just an instant, and fell straight backward and hit his head" on the concrete, Rogers said.
[h3]Son steps in[/h3]
Jin Cheng Yu moved in and was punched by both attackers. The younger Yu returned punches, and both he and Drummer fell to the sidewalk, authorities said.

Witnesses then chased the attackers away.

Tian Sheng Yu never regained consciousness and died Tuesday of a skull fracture and a brain injury.

A subsequent outpouring of tips, including some from people who knew the suspects and recognized them from a video released by police, led to the men's arrests, investigators said.

Drummer and Davis appeared before Judge Robert McGuiness of Alameda County Superior Court but did not enter a plea. They are being held without bail.

Among those attending Thursday's hearing were Police Chief Anthony Batts, Jin Cheng Yu and his mother, Zhi Rui Wang, 56.

Oakland Chinatown organizer Carl Chan, speaking on the family's behalf, said they were saddened by their loss and that their "hearts go out to the families of the two young men."

"True justice is no more violence," Chan said.

In deciding against filing hate crime charges, prosecutors noted that the men's criminal histories did not appear to include racial overtones.

Drummer has a felony assault conviction as a juvenile for punching a 55-year-old African American man from behind at an Oakland convenience store in September 2009. The victim hit his head on the pavement, lost consciousness and had to have seven stitches, Rogers said.

Both Davis and Drummer were arrested in April 2007 for allegedly trying to rob a 31-year-old white man in Berkeley. They were released to their parents because charges were never filed.

[h3]Donations to victim's family [/h3]
Donations to the Yu family can be made to the Yu Family Foundation, c/o Metropolitan Bank, 250 East 18th St., Oakland, CA 94606.

Interesting to hear more about the suspects themselves and their background. Like I said on the locked thread, most of the time in these Black on Asian crimes, it's less about racism, but more of economic reasons. This incident wasn't even about money so there goes another twist.

I know the mods or some people on NT are thinking there is no point of this thread considering what happened in the racist locked thread, but why avoid the problem?

"Black-Asian tension and hostility is not predestined. There’s nothing about our communities that require that we hate one another; indeed, it is the stereotypes, perpetuated by mainstream American culture, that fuels the rage and conflict between our communities.And, rather than to talk about how both communities have internalized racism against the other community, we hide behind our own oppressions and make excuses about our own bigotry. Mundane conflict between our two groups makes for fodder on youtube.

In the wake of crimes between Asian and Black communities, it is tempting to, as Brooklyn resident Tiffany Tan remarked, “[not] go near them

Damn...
smh.gif

I want to say that those two murderers finally behind bars is all that matters, but sadly enough, it's not.

This will happen again. Maybe not in Oakland, or San Francisco, or Cali, or the West Coast--but something like it will happen again, somewhere.

Why, because this is as much about deprivation (education, finances, stability, love) as it is about anything else, and unfortunately with the state of the economy, I can already see many more of these acts of violence (and lesser acts of violence) occurring as the deprivation worsens, tensions boil over, and various populations within racially segregated communities begin to "blame" each other for their misfortunes.

Although there has been speculation that the attack was motivated in part by race - Drummer and Davis are African American, and the elder Yu was a Chinese immigrant - Chief Deputy District Attorney Tom Rogers said the suspects could have sucker-punched anyone who crossed their path on Telegraph Avenue near the Fox Theater. He said there was no evidence the attack was a hate crime.
I don't see how anyone could make out the situation to be anything other than this.....
cats just looking for a reason to show they're true colors.

*sigh + smh*
This will NOT end well.
Very well put SuperAntigen.
*heads for the fallout shelter*

Lets see dudes that were going off in the other thread come in here now. SMH. Dudes are quick to go off on racist rants.

No use in posting this, only because look at what most of the people in that thread had to say.

It's like Hey, everybody else hates your race so why not just jump on the bandwagon, these people seriously don't use rationalization skills at all.

They aren't going to read this and see that the same kid Sucker punched from behind another older black male and he also hit his head on the ground, blah blah.

Just my two cents but hey good luck trying to get them to see a point.

Just because the police say it wasn't race-related hate crime doesn't mean it wasn't.

In fact, I'd be inclined to say that police sometimes downplay a crime like this to avoid any further upheaval.

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

OneTrust, where you at?

Please, don't even.

I'm currently going through that other thread that got locked (as I don't browse NT that often during the school week) and WOWwWWw...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Just because the police say it wasn't race-related hate crime doesn't mean it wasn't.

In fact, I'd be inclined to say that police sometimes downplay a crime like this to avoid any further upheaval.

I just starting going through the locked thread and wow lots of ignorance/racism.
smh.gif

Race issues aside, what those dudes did to that man was reprehensible and I hope they get what they deserve.

If the DA lied about it, it is understandable. I mean, Oakland doesn't need a race war. But I'm sure many are pushing for it to be tried as a hate crime

I just finished reading through that thread...dudes were all like, "ZOMG, an asians are peacefull and blacks are violent"

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I am white, went to a good liberal arts college, had some cool/good jobs and I've been looking for a new, decent one for a while now. This economy has me HEATED, because I am competing with a bazillion other peoples for every job I apply to now. I am also fortunate enough to have a supportive family and dad who looks out for me in tough times. I can't even imagine what it would be like to not have that support. Lots of people don't have that support system and they're left in the gutter with no education and a need to hustle just to get by. It's believable that these dudes were extremely frustrated, drunk/intoxicated in some way, and felt like they had nothing to lose so they take it out on undeserving people. I never thought this was race related. Desperation, stupidity and extreme anger/frustration are not a good combo.

Such a pointless crime.

I'm black and I say they need to get the book thrown at them.

As an Oaklander currently living in Berkeley while attending Cal the last thing the city needs is a race war, and I pray it doesn't happen. If I were an Asian I would really pray that it doesn't or its just going to turn into town business everywhere. Just because it involves 2 minorities it doesn't equal a hate crime...now if they had been screaming things like "@#!+%" "#%#$" while they hit the poor man then absolutely its a hate crime. As a black man charge them with murder, and lets move past this.

Thats what they all say. Its bs if you tell me. They should still be locked up, stop being butthurt about your personal problems, suck it up, do something about it, not hit an innocent man and son. ******s. I hope they get executed by a firing squad.

Originally Posted by pikeDT

As an Oaklander currently living in Berkeley while attending Cal the last thing the city needs is a race war, and I pray it doesn't happen. If I were an Asian I would really pray that it doesn't or its just going to turn into town business everywhere. Just because it involves 2 minorities it doesn't equal a hate crime...now if they had been screaming things like "@#!+%" "#%#$" while they hit the poor man then absolutely its a hate crime. As a black man charge them with murder, and lets move past this.
que? is it because asians will be shook?
laugh.gif
idk about oakland because I hardly venture into the town, but in richmond we hold our own.

Originally Posted by Illuztrious

Such a pointless crime.

I'm black and I say they need to get the book thrown at them.
My man, fair is fair. I agree. I'll be back to write in this thread if it's still open. I miss the last go around, but if you think Asians are not targets of crimes of assault and robbery, then you're just defending your own race, or you're just naive about inner city living for an Asian's man point of view.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

Originally Posted by pikeDT

que? is it because asians will be shook?
laugh.gif
idk about oakland because I hardly venture into the town, but in richmond we hold our own.
For the record, you know Asians in Oakland get down, even if you've never ventured into the town, so stop that. Crimes against Asians, have been going on for years if not decades. The thing about Asians, from what I see, is that we don't want the police to be involved, because we don't trust the police, or government from our background, especially if we have another hustle, so that leads Asians into a disadvantage situation when crimes does get committed toward us. I wouldn't want a race war to happen in Oakland, however if it does, it will most likely be going on around tough areas where there is already conflict with Asians and Blacks.

I am sure Asians do get down, but the way these past couple threads made it seem was that Asians are completely innocent, harmless victims in all cases (obviously they were in this murder), so dont play both cards... Also, as the articles have stated these punks beat up an older BLACK man too, so it just isnt Asians who get messed with.

Maybe its just SF and NYC, but here in LA, Asians get along quite well with African-Americans. Well, at least I do. I think once you realize that there is more that unites us than divides, its easy to identify with someone, regardless of their ethnicity.

Back
Top Bottom