Tidal Streaming!!

Is it true some artists are going to be pulling their catalogs from Spotify and other streaming services and making it exclusive for Tidal?

Uhm no! Artist well most dont even own their music. I dont think tidal well succeed. To costly,well for $10 monthly you get regular quality streaming

Last edited:
I think they cut the price to $9.99. Music Videos included? I only see music videos at the mall food court now a days.

9.99 is basic quality. $20 is flac streaming high quality

Yeah, that's the difference between Tidal and all the other streaming companies. Jay pretty much just changed the game with this.

How did he change the game? He didn't do anything but copy spotify and dre beats music and upped the price

Last edited:
I'll keep my eye on this for awhile. I hear it's only 10 bucks. I don't buy everything jay attaches his name to but I never really feel like he should stop making moves, except for the cologne.

I don't know if it's the pro black in me or what but it kinda rubs me the wrong way when I see our ppl come at Jay for his entrepreneurship.

Like JT or Ryan Seacrest is making a killing w multiple ventures, white guys don't knock them for their moves lol

9.99 is basic quality. $20 is flac streaming high quality
How did he change the game? He didn't do anything but copy spotify and dre beats music and upped the price
His music will be exclusive to Tidal? The only way for you to get Jay's new album and his previous album will be to pay that subscription? The artists will now get paid every month for the subscription?

His music will be exclusive to Tidal? The only way for you to get Jay's new album and his previous album will be to pay that subscription? The artists will now get paid every month for the subscription?

either way it doesn't make sense .

i'll pass ... i hate when i have to put up my money first and then cancel by remembering to on my own within the trial period 

either way it doesn't make sense .
How does it not make sense? Jay doesn't have to worry about not getting paid for his music anymore because not only will the only way for you to get access to Jay's music be through Tidal, but he gets paid every month for the subscription. It's a win-win for him. He's guaranteed to make every dollar possible on his next album.

Is it true some artists are going to be pulling their catalogs from Spotify and other streaming services and making it exclusive for Tidal?
Yeah, that's the difference between Tidal and all the other streaming companies. Jay pretty much just changed the game with this.

I disagree.

There's a few issues, I'm sure some artists will be willing to exclusively give their album to them. But it will be ripped and you can still download it illegally while you keep your cheaper subscription.

iTunes is the biggest digital retailer. People buy from them because it's literally one click on an iPhone. So if the next Jay album is exclusively on Tidal and only on Tidal, do you really believe that many people will pay $20 a month for it or just download it illegally.

I see the attempt but I just don't know how they make a lot of money off this. People don't like paying for music and their monthly fee is double their competitors and has a lot of issues. Albums missing songs, error loading albums and songs. This will also start a streaming war, so then Spotify, google, soundcloud, Beats and so on will have their exclusive artists and their exclusive releases? It's ******* dumb.

And the high def quality songs with this app are gonna eat through most people's data plans.
one of the reasons why im not gonna mess with Tidal

Last i heard on T-Mobile, you can stream music on Spotify and won't get charged for data usage

one of the reasons why im not gonna mess with Tidal

Last i heard on T-Mobile, you can stream music on Spotify and won't get charged for data usage
Not just Spotify, but Play Music, too. You stream the music the first time via data and after the first time, it'll play normally as if you're playing it through your phone's memory without waiting for a buffer or anything and it won't use any data. You can even listen if you don't have service.

If it was 3.99 for basic and 7.99-9.99 for premium I would of gave them props . If it takes off This is gonna be like Hbogo and Netflix where everybody shares some bodies account

i thought with the T-Mobile music thing it was because you had unlimited data anyway so it wouldn't matter you basically stream every music stream service unlimited? 

id like to know the benefits this new music streaming service has and how it could possible compete with other platforms that are already out. 

The difference is the albums will be exclusive to Tidal. So, Jay-Z's next album won't be on iTunes, Spotify, etc. don't even think there will even be a physical disc.
And the artists will get paid each month for the subscription.

Is there a source for this? Or is this just speculation?

Unless it's Apple, i wouldn't pay for any music subscription streaming. These will all be fads and die out in a year or two. I don't think Tidal is worth it, NT'ers..

I don't understand thee hype. I'm fine with my 4.99 spotify subscription.

To clear up the t-mobile thing (I've had t-mohile for 5+ years now)
The way it works is any streaming music app does not count against your data usage.

For example., I have 4GB of high speed data a month . If I stream 20GB of data in spotify, it's like I still have 4GB if data.

And now with the "data stash" it's even better. The months I feel like downloading entire seasons of the simpsons on my phone just take away from the 10GB bank of data I have. Months I dont use all 4GB go back into the bank.

Last edited:
I don't understand thee hype. I'm fine with my 4.99 spotify subscription.

To clear up the t-mobile thing (I've had t-mohile for 5+ years now)
The way it works is any streaming music app does not count against your data usage.

For example., I have 4GB of high speed data a month . If I stream 20GB of data in spotify, it's like I still have 4GB if data.

And now with the "data stash" it's even better. The months I feel like downloading entire seasons of the simpsons on my phone just take away from the 10GB bank of data I have. Months I dont use all 4GB go back into the bank.
:smh:
Man I ain't never letting go of my grandfathered att unlimited data plan

If you use it that much it's worth it. But AT&T rapes on every other service, I think unlimited high speed on Tmobile is $45/month. But why do you really need 20GB+ of data a month on your phone. The rollover 4GB plan Im in is $10 I think

If you use it that much it's worth it. But AT&T rapes on every other service, I think unlimited high speed on Tmobile is $45/month. But why do you really need 20GB+ of data a month on your phone. The rollover 4GB plan Im in is $10 I think
Bruh
I just peeped
Remember we use to aim each other :lol:
You've had that same avy since then and that was in like 08

Last edited:
U guys think he's trying to just get a piece of the streaming pie but its bigger than from reading his statement. Songwriters will be fairly compensated for their work. Songwriters make relatively no money from streaming. Pharrell the artist made 250,00 off of "happy' from streams.  Pharrell the songwriter only made 12,500 from 'happy" streams.  So essentially if P was a no name songwriter living in his mommas basement dude would still have to work a 9-5 to make ends meet cause cant nobody survive off 12,500 a year. That's the problem. Broadcast radio benefits songwriters while streaming benefits the artist more. Taylor Swift took her music off of spotify for that very reason and now she's joining tidal andIm pretty sure it's because it's more money with tidal.

If you listen to rock or pop, you've heard Desmond Child's work.

And if you were one of the 6.5 million people who listened to Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" on Pandora during a three-month span in 2012, you helped him, and his two co-writers, split a grand total of $110.

"We could each buy a pizza," said Child, an inductee in the Songwriters Hall of Fame who has worked with artists ranging from Aerosmith and Kiss to Ricky Martin and Cher. "A large pizza."

Music streaming apps and sites were supposed to make music cheap -- or free -- for consumers while assuring that the artists who created the songs would be fairly compensated.

Artist reacts to Taylor Swift vs.Spotify
Artist reacts to Taylor Swift vs.Spotify 06:01
PLAY VIDEO
But musicians and songwriters say they're barely seeing any money from streaming.

"It's upside down," Child said. "It needs to get back in balance. It's just simply not fair."

Last week, singer Taylor Swift pulled all of her music from Spotify, saying that the ability to stream her new album, "1989," threatened to hurt sales. Spotify has roughly 50 million users, who either pay $9.99 a month for the service or listen to a free version with advertisements.

"I'm glad the Taylor Swift thing has caused people to consider it more, because I do think it's an imperfect business model," said Jason Isbell, the Americana Music Association's 2014 Artist of the Year, whose albums are available on the streaming sites.

The Taylor Swifts of the world can actually make out well on streaming sites -- Spotify said she had been on pace to make $6 million from the app this year. But Isbell said he earns so little in online streaming royalties that he barely pays attention to them.

"It doesn't add to my income in any way that isn't negligible," he said.

Spotify: Disappointed by Taylor Swift
Spotify: Disappointed by Taylor Swift 03:30
PLAY VIDEO
In a blog post Tuesday, Spotify CEO Daniel Ek responded to Swift's decision and other artists' complaints.

"We started Spotify because we love music and piracy was killing it," Ek wrote. "So all the talk swirling around lately about how Spotify is making money on the backs of artists upsets me big time."

Ek noted that Spotify has paid more than $2 billion to record labels, music publishers and groups that distribute royalties to songwriters and recording artists -- $1 billion of which came in the past year.

But Child said that money gets divided up unfairly. Too little of it trickles down to the people who wrote and recorded the music, he said.

Desmond Child says he split $110 three ways for 6.5 million Pandora plays of Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer."
Desmond Child says he split $110 three ways for 6.5 million Pandora plays of Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer."
Streaming sites treat each stream like a purchase, similar to downloading a song from iTunes. That kind of contract pays a bigger percentage to record labels than licensing agreements, which pay out at about 50-50 between artists and record companies.

"At some point, they sold the acts some idea like, 'We're promoting your music so you can go out and tour and make money with merchandise and ticket sales and stuff,' " Child said. "But a lot of those artists co-wrote with people like me. I don't get a piece of the touring. I don't get a piece of the merchandise."

In his blog post, Ek said he's open to exploring ways to compensate writers and performers more fairly.

Earlier this year, Pandora came under fire for its payment model after singer Bette Midler had complained about it, saying she'd gotten $114 for more than 4 million plays on the site. (Pandora disputed that number.)

On Wednesday, Pandora compared its service not to record sales, but to a traditional radio station.

"As the highest paying form of radio, Pandora is proud to play the music of thousands of artists for our more than 75 million users," Dave Grimaldi, Pandora's director of public affairs, said in an email. He noted that, as traditional revenue streams dry up, streaming sites like Pandora are growing.

"If half of radio listening shifts from terrestrial to Pandora and other internet radio platforms, it will mean billions in additional royalty dollars for performers and songwriters," Grimaldi said.

Pandora's published rate for at least one form of royalties is .0013 cents per stream, divided among a song's various interest holders.

Child said he's working with other songwriters such as Eddie Schwartz -- who penned Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" -- on a system they call "fair trade music." It would establish guidelines for fair treatment of artists.

Isbell said he believes that streaming sites should allow a set number of plays of any given song before the site asks users to purchase the music.

"It would be nice to have peace of mind and be able to know I'll be able to make music for the rest of my life without having to cut anybody's grass but my own," Isbell said. "And I think that's a worry for people who are at my level and the levels below me."

Back
Top Bottom