Tips to make your life at home that much easier Vol.1

In terms of check lists, tasks, and maintaining your agenda.
-Utilize Google Calendar/iCal (Mac)
-Your Google account also has a "Tasks" option to manage your To-do list
-Check out Teuxdeux.com [my favorite right now
pimp.gif
], helps you manage everything you need to do throughout the day/week/month/year, and there's an iPhone app for it too! Easy to check off, and it carries over to the next day if you don't finish it that day.

Cleaning your bathroom
-If you've got a lot of mold and scum, pour into a spray bottle half bleach and half water and go to town spraying the scum.  Let it sit for an hour and rinse clean.

Acne
Everyone always gets those random breakouts.  Invest in a topical over the counter acne medication with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide; I'd recommend Neutrogena On the Spot.  2.5% benzyol peroxide is as strong as 10% but a lot less harsh.  Any less than 2.5 is not as effective, any more than 2.5 is more harmful with the same effects, companies use the "bigger numbers are always better" marketing trick.

Productivity
-If you need to really study, just turn off your wifi.
-If you have a Mac, download "SelfControl".  You create a blocklist of websites that you spend/waste most of your time on.  For example, some of mine are: NT, Facebook, tumblr, DJF, DJTT, CA, etc.  When you need to study, you can launch the app, and turn it on for a certain amount of time (30 min, 2 hours, etc) and it will block you from those sites.  

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31289/selfcontrol

*Kien approved

-ALWAYS constantly save your work when using word, excel, or anything!  It's not worth losing all that time and hard work when you're too lazy to press the "save" button every once in awhile!

In terms of check lists, tasks, and maintaining your agenda.
-Utilize Google Calendar/iCal (Mac)
-Your Google account also has a "Tasks" option to manage your To-do list
-Check out Teuxdeux.com [my favorite right now
pimp.gif
], helps you manage everything you need to do throughout the day/week/month/year, and there's an iPhone app for it too! Easy to check off, and it carries over to the next day if you don't finish it that day.

Cleaning your bathroom
-If you've got a lot of mold and scum, pour into a spray bottle half bleach and half water and go to town spraying the scum.  Let it sit for an hour and rinse clean.

Acne
Everyone always gets those random breakouts.  Invest in a topical over the counter acne medication with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide; I'd recommend Neutrogena On the Spot.  2.5% benzyol peroxide is as strong as 10% but a lot less harsh.  Any less than 2.5 is not as effective, any more than 2.5 is more harmful with the same effects, companies use the "bigger numbers are always better" marketing trick.

Productivity
-If you need to really study, just turn off your wifi.
-If you have a Mac, download "SelfControl".  You create a blocklist of websites that you spend/waste most of your time on.  For example, some of mine are: NT, Facebook, tumblr, DJF, DJTT, CA, etc.  When you need to study, you can launch the app, and turn it on for a certain amount of time (30 min, 2 hours, etc) and it will block you from those sites.  

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31289/selfcontrol

*Kien approved

-ALWAYS constantly save your work when using word, excel, or anything!  It's not worth losing all that time and hard work when you're too lazy to press the "save" button every once in awhile!

- for those w/ allergies go to your local hippie/organic grocery store. But a bottle of honey that is processed locally. Consume a teaspoon of that honey everyday. Not only is honey generally healthy for you, but it will help you against allergies. Mind you it takes a couple of months for it to start working, so you may be too late for this season of allergies.

- for those w/ allergies go to your local hippie/organic grocery store. But a bottle of honey that is processed locally. Consume a teaspoon of that honey everyday. Not only is honey generally healthy for you, but it will help you against allergies. Mind you it takes a couple of months for it to start working, so you may be too late for this season of allergies.

never be surprised by what a girl does...

it may not be for home, but it'll  make life much easier

never be surprised by what a girl does...

it may not be for home, but it'll  make life much easier

Productivity:

-The color temperature of your computer monitor at night can create a strong strain on your eyes and stress out your eye muscles resulting in fatigue.  This can lead to drowsiness when studying.  With F.lux (available for windows and mac), this application utilizes GPS to locate where you are an sync it with the sunset time in your area.  The application filters your screen with a tungsten, halogen, fluorescent or daylight filter greatly reducing the strain on your eyes leading to reduced drowsiness when studying late at night or just in general.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

*Kien approved

Headphones:

I workout a lot, from running to the weight room, and I wear my headphones ALL the time.  I've gone through tons of headphones from Shures to Denons, and I've lost or broken too many expensive earbuds
ohwell.gif
  In terms of something cheap, durable, and easily replaceable for everyday/gym use, I'd definitely recommend Jbuds.  They form a nice seal, the bass response is solid when worked in, and their customer service is PHENOMENAL!  One of my earbuds was cutting out, I checked their website and filled out their extremely simple drop down menu, and they sent me a brand new pair no questions asked.  $10 for some solid headphones and great customer service and a 1 year warranty
pimp.gif

http://www.amazon.com/JBu...id=1302562880&sr=8-3

Amazon:

Join Amazon student FREE!

Amazon Prime shipping benefits free for one year

-Unlimited FREE Two-Day shipping on textbooks and millions of other items

-No minimum order size

-Upgrade to One-Day shipping for $3.99/item

Free for students - just provide your school and major

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Productivity:

-The color temperature of your computer monitor at night can create a strong strain on your eyes and stress out your eye muscles resulting in fatigue.  This can lead to drowsiness when studying.  With F.lux (available for windows and mac), this application utilizes GPS to locate where you are an sync it with the sunset time in your area.  The application filters your screen with a tungsten, halogen, fluorescent or daylight filter greatly reducing the strain on your eyes leading to reduced drowsiness when studying late at night or just in general.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

*Kien approved

Headphones:

I workout a lot, from running to the weight room, and I wear my headphones ALL the time.  I've gone through tons of headphones from Shures to Denons, and I've lost or broken too many expensive earbuds
ohwell.gif
  In terms of something cheap, durable, and easily replaceable for everyday/gym use, I'd definitely recommend Jbuds.  They form a nice seal, the bass response is solid when worked in, and their customer service is PHENOMENAL!  One of my earbuds was cutting out, I checked their website and filled out their extremely simple drop down menu, and they sent me a brand new pair no questions asked.  $10 for some solid headphones and great customer service and a 1 year warranty
pimp.gif

http://www.amazon.com/JBu...id=1302562880&sr=8-3

Amazon:

Join Amazon student FREE!

Amazon Prime shipping benefits free for one year

-Unlimited FREE Two-Day shipping on textbooks and millions of other items

-No minimum order size

-Upgrade to One-Day shipping for $3.99/item

Free for students - just provide your school and major

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

Put Mistolin or Fabuloso with water in a small pot/pan on the stove and keep on low heat... Keeps the crib smellin 
pimp.gif

Just don't fall asleep...
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

Put Mistolin or Fabuloso with water in a small pot/pan on the stove and keep on low heat... Keeps the crib smellin 
pimp.gif

Just don't fall asleep...
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by SCOfoshO

Just a few tricks I have used:

~Take your bananas apart when you get home from the store. If you leave them connected at the stem, they ripen faster.

~Store your opened chunks of cheese in aluminum foil. It will stay fresh much longer and not mold

~Peppers with 3 bumps on the bottom are sweeter and better for eating. Peppers with 4 bumps on the bottom are firmer and better for cooking.

~Add a teaspoon of water when frying ground beef. It will help pull the grease away from the meat while cooking.

~Add garlic immediately to a recipe if you want a light taste of garlic and at the end of the recipe if your want a stronger taste of garlic.

~PIZZA: Reheat leftover pizza in a nonstick skillet on top of the stove; set heat to med-low And heat till warm. This keeps the crust crispy. No soggy micro
pizza. I saw this on the food channel

~To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in A microwave next to a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food
Moist and help it reheat faster.

~Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don't dry cup. Next, add your ingredient (peanut butter, honey, etc.)

~ Not really for the house, but buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of your car when the windows fog, rub with the eraser.

~If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside, Just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two

~To get rid of fruit flies, take a small glass, fill it 1/2 with Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of dish washing liquid; mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever.

~To get rid of Ants put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it 'home,' can't digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains, but there are no chemicals beings used.

Every tip
pimp.gif

Just a few tricks I have used:

~Take your bananas apart when you get home from the store. If you leave them connected at the stem, they ripen faster.

~Store your opened chunks of cheese in aluminum foil. It will stay fresh much longer and not mold

~Peppers with 3 bumps on the bottom are sweeter and better for eating. Peppers with 4 bumps on the bottom are firmer and better for cooking.

~Add a teaspoon of water when frying ground beef. It will help pull the grease away from the meat while cooking.

~Add garlic immediately to a recipe if you want a light taste of garlic and at the end of the recipe if your want a stronger taste of garlic.

~PIZZA: Reheat leftover pizza in a nonstick skillet on top of the stove; set heat to med-low And heat till warm. This keeps the crust crispy. No soggy micro
pizza. I saw this on the food channel

~To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in A microwave next to a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food
Moist and help it reheat faster.

~Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don't dry cup. Next, add your ingredient (peanut butter, honey, etc.)

~ Not really for the house, but buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of your car when the windows fog, rub with the eraser.

~If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside, Just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two

~To get rid of fruit flies, take a small glass, fill it 1/2 with Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of dish washing liquid; mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever.

~To get rid of Ants put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it 'home,' can't digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains, but there are no chemicals beings used.

Every tip
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by MZBLUE2U

Every tip
pimp.gif

I did this last summer. What actually happens, is that they carry it back for the colony to feed on.

It expands in their bodies and they basically explode.

Originally Posted by MZBLUE2U

Every tip
pimp.gif

I did this last summer. What actually happens, is that they carry it back for the colony to feed on.

It expands in their bodies and they basically explode.

-invest $30-40 on a small good quality pocket knife and carry it all the time. kershaw & gerber are great. this is good for just random instances when you need something cut or to eat or cook with.
-buy good quality candles, put them all over your house and use them.

-invest $30-40 on a small good quality pocket knife and carry it all the time. kershaw & gerber are great. this is good for just random instances when you need something cut or to eat or cook with.
-buy good quality candles, put them all over your house and use them.

nearly everything is freezable, it makes food last a lot longer
always clean up after cooking, at the best, while cooking
if not urgent, dont shovel snow, it'll melt anyway
baking soda in an open container into the fridge gives it a fresh smell
use baking paper, washing trays will take a lot less time

nearly everything is freezable, it makes food last a lot longer
always clean up after cooking, at the best, while cooking
if not urgent, dont shovel snow, it'll melt anyway
baking soda in an open container into the fridge gives it a fresh smell
use baking paper, washing trays will take a lot less time

Back
Top Bottom