Under Armour Curry 8

The part about traction matches what sneakerhighway had in the video.

If indeed the traction is that beastly, they've got me. It also would explain why there's so little form with the upper. If the shoe can help you stop that quick, you need there to be a little give. It'll be interesting to see what the positives and negatives are. The 3Zero V has always looked better than the 8 to me. But performance is king. If they really are that good I gotta see for myself.

Cushion has me interested too. Imagine Curry 2 traction with nice cushioning.

Cushion has me interested too. Imagine Curry 2 traction with nice cushioning.

Dog, I hooped in the 2s for a solid year :lol:
The blue colorway, the greys, the reds, the camps, etc.

Found the marketing pages for the 8 release

“That was the fateful moment: taking a running-specific technology that was still being developed and testing it on the basketball court,” said Tom Luedecke, Under Armour Innovation’s Director of Footwear Design, who has worked with Stephen since designing the Curry 2. “Seeing UA Flow firsthand on the court was magic. Internally, we call it a unicorn foam because it does everything.”
Maybe we should start with what makes UA Flow… flow. It’s a singular, proprietary foam compound which brings lightweight cushioning and pioneering traction to Under Armour’s performance footwear product. Put more simply, it is UA Basketball’s highest performance ground-contact cushioning technology to-date.
Actually, here are Dojan and Luedecke to further break down UA Flow, how it made it to the Curry Brand, and how it could change the game for good:

UA Flow is something that’s been in development for over three years. How did this new innovation first come about?
Fred Dojan:
We had worked with Dow on UA HOVR™and had great success there. Under Armour does a meeting with them every year and we walked through new materials that could apply to footwear and apparel. They shared that they had this new foam concept that was lightweight with high energy return, but also had properties that gave it good traction and durability.
We knew we were onto something big, but also knew there was a long road ahead going from the lab all the way to production. We initially wanted to get it into running.

It’s launching in basketball first in the Curry Flow 8. What changed the decision to debut in running?
Tom Luedecke:
It was Stephen’s call, basically. We shared some prototypes with him in February of 2019. We call them “Frankenstein Shoes” where we take an old existing upper and put them on a new midsole, just to get him to feel what that new sole feels like.
We took him through the science of UA Flow and told him it’d be ready in 2021. He said, “I need this for the Curry 8,” and that’s what set the train in motion. He just flipped the script on us. He challenged us to pull it forward and quickly.
FD: Before that, it was originally going to launch in a lightweight running shoe. We were running with them around our Portland headquarters. But, then we took it into the gym so we could have a longer straightaway to run on it. We were like “Whoa...this stuff sticks amazing on the floor of the gym. This could be an awesome basketball shoe.”

Stephen must have really thought it was awesome for him to want it ASAP. Do you remember his reaction when he first tried UA Flow?
TL
: He ran around the practice facility down in Walnut Creek, came back with feedback and one of the first things he said was, “Man, I feel like a ninja.” Ninja referring to how quiet the shoe is because UA Flow doesn’t squeak, but also how smooth the transitions were. It didn’t slap on the ground. It’s very much in tune with the foot. He was getting cushioning, but not sacrificing court feel. He can feel the court, but still feel protected underfoot.

-------------

Can you talk more about that approach? How’s it different from the way other basketball sneakers are made?

TL:
Usually in basketball, you start with a fairly stiff cushioning system—some combination of foam and rubber pancake mix—with the goal to make it more flexible by introducing flex grooves or mixing in softer foams.

The Curry Flow 8 is built the opposite way; UA Innovation started with a minimal shoe construction and designed the UA Flow footwear from flexibility to stability, instead of stability to flexibility. We started with a soft, flexible foam with no outsole, and added just the right amount of stability into it for Steph’s game. That’s the big difference: not starting with a stiff layer cake, but starting with this amazing foam. It still has the feel of a shoe that you want to run and sprint in, but it gives enough support to be able to cut and do all the hard moves that are necessary in basketball.

1607140241893.png

“We call it a unicorn foam,” said Luedecke. He added that because UA Flow technology is so unique, the Curry Flow 8 was designed differently than the way traditional basketball sneakers are made. “This system is completely built the opposite way from the ground up. We started with a soft, flexible foam with no outsole and added just the right amount of stability into it for Stephen’s game.”
Another first of UA Flow and the Curry Flow 8 is an unreal grip that offers no skidding, no slipping, and no squeaking. Because it grips the court better, UA Flow technology allows players to stop and start on a dime, a precise advantage to leave defenders reaching.
“How I judge a shoe's traction has always been about the squeak. And I used to think squeak was a good thing. The technology in Flow is crazy because it's silent, there is literally no squeak,” Stephen said of his latest signature sneaker. "And that's because there's no air between the shoe and the court. It's hands down the grippiest shoe I've ever worn; it's the real deal."

The innovative technology of the UA Flow and the Curry Flow 8 provide game-changing athlete benefits and tech features including:

• TRACTION: UA Flow contributes amazing ground traction on-court to the Curry Flow 8 with abrasion resistance similar to standard rubber, with no skidding, no slipping, and no squeaking on the hardwood.
  • COMFORT: The upper features two layers that work dynamically and independently, which allows the foot to move more freely while still being protected.
  • COURT FEEL: With the Curry Flow 8, cushioning doesn’t sacrifice court feel. While the underfoot feeling is unique at first, it won’t take long for you to feel at one with the court.
  • INTENTIONAL DESIGN: UA Flow discarded unnecessary weight by eliminating the need for a rubber outsole, which usually adds up to 2 oz. of weight. The Curry Flow 8 weighs in at 12.1 oz.(men’s size 9).
  • HIGH ENERGY RETURN: The Curry Flow 8 provides amazing energy return without compromising durability, protection, and performance.
"From the moment I tried on an early prototype, I immediately wanted UA Flow tech in the Curry 8–knowing it would be the first shoe from Curry Brand. I’ve been hype since day 1," said Curry. “I'm excited to get back on the court and compete in them, and for other athletes to get in on the magic as well."
The Curry Flow 8 will release globally on currybrand.com, at UA Brand Houses and at select retail partners for $160 USD on December 11.

1607140263381.png

RIP to the people that are going to test this on outdoor courts. Durability will be interesting.

RIP to the people that are going to test this on outdoor courts. Durability will be interesting.
To answer your foam question, I guess they could dye it, but dude said they nicknamed it unicorn foam, so aside from the "one of a kind" connotation, it may indeed be white foam on every model. Hope not though.

Also it really will be interesting to see what happens to these outdoors. Kind of shocked me when I learned Steph rarely played outdoors growing up. I get that with Dell as his dad he would always have had access to a gym, but that tripped me out. I can't imagine having almost never played outdoors. All that to say they may just not care what happens outdoors as long as it's a killer performance on an indoor court. I still am anxious to see performance tests indoors to see what that traction is doing to stick like that. Looks really interesting!

Maybe I'm trippin but the heel pull tab height doesn't look ridiculous on foot. I'm in. Hope the feel is nothing like the 7s. Those were so uncomfortable to put on.

Wow that gotta be a mistake? They don't usual allow discount on new curry releases.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure they’re gonna cancel all those orders. You can use that 100$ coupon off on anything on the website. Sheesh the websites is really slow right now too

Back
Top Bottom