UPDATE 1/12 Campbell's soup drops same sex couple + son commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does that even mean though? How do you measure love? Because they show good behavior around you? Why are you even measuring other people's love in the first place dude? 

Bruh you asked the same question 15 pages ago and I already answered it...quit your trollin

Peep this irony and hypocrisy tho...

You the same man constantly quantifying my relationship as a fairy tale, you dilute what I have as something unrealistic....why measuring up my Love bro?...you like to ask a lot of questions but you really don't like to give answers.

There's nothing wrong with it, but at the same time it's important to know that every single aspect of a commercial is scrutinized, evaluated, and chosen specifically. So yes, they are clearly trying to promote an agenda.

It's also interesting how this is the agenda chosen versus other social possibilities. When's the last time you saw an Arab, Indian, Asian, Latino or even Black family as the main focus of an advertisement? You see a few Black characters but they're usually alongside white ones.

The only thing I got out of this commercial was that it's more important to promote same-sex relationships than it is to promote minorities.

Disclaimer: I don't watch TV anyways.

why the heck do you guys put so much time and energy into trying to prove each other wrong when you know nobody is going to budge?

The only thing I got out of this commercial was that it's more important to promote same-sex relationships than it is to promote minorities.

First time I ever seen someone put that much thought into a commercial. I have never watched a commercial and thought that hard. I usually think "too many damn commercials this is why I wait til it comes online so I can use adblock" :lol:

First time I ever seen someone put that much thought into a commercial. I have never watched a commercial and thought that hard. I usually think "too many damn commercials this is why I wait til it comes online so I can use adblock"
laugh.gif
I use adblock also and don't own a TV 
laugh.gif

Whenever I happen to stumble on an ad though, I look out for anything that is abnormal for a commercial and see what the company is trying to promote.

There's nothing wrong with it, but at the same time it's important to know that every single aspect of a commercial is scrutinized, evaluated, and chosen specifically. So yes, they are clearly trying to promote an agenda.

It's also interesting how this is the agenda chosen versus other social possibilities. When's the last time you saw an Arab, Indian, Asian, Latino or even Black family as the main focus of an advertisement? You see a few Black characters but they're usually alongside white ones.

Disclaimer: I don't watch TV anyways.
Which is why you don't know that the question you asked is silly since it happens a lot more than you think.

Also how are same sex relationships not minorities? or did you mean to make this a gay vs. black ppl thing like the rest of the clowns? :lol: :smh:

Last edited:
Which is why you don't know that the question you asked is silly since it happens a lot more than you think.

Also how are same sex relationships not minorities? or did you mean to make this a gay vs. black ppl thing like the rest of the clowns?
laugh.gif
mean.gif
Just because I don't watch TV doesn't mean I don't see my share of advertisements.

The percentage of people who identify as LGBT is not even close to the percentage of those that are racial minorities. Just interesting that if you're going to support a marginalized group, you just skip over the next few most populous ones that would cater to a wider audience. Ads are designed to cater to a group of people to spurn product sales? Clearly not in this case, as they had plenty of other groups that would have given them more revenue.

So if they wanted to promote gay relationships, why not have a gay Black or Asian couple? Oh right - we can't break *too* many barriers here.

Just because I don't watch TV doesn't mean I don't see my share of advertisements.

The percentage of people who identify as LGBT is not even close to the percentage of those that are racial minorities. Just interesting that if you're going to support a marginalized group, you just skip over the next few most populous ones that would cater to a wider audience. Ads are designed to cater to a group of people to spurn product sales? Clearly not in this case, as they had plenty of other groups that would have given them more revenue.

So if they wanted to promote gay relationships, why not have a gay Black or Asian couple? Oh right - we can't break *too* many barriers here.
Who said they haven't? It may not have been Campbell but plenty of other companies have had minorities apart of there ad campaigns...

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post

Steezy is definitely a polarizing dude.

He's my friend in real life so I don't know why he was trying to take subtle shots at me for so long in this thread.

FROM MY EXPERIENCE, people that take shots at me aren't real friends. That's the kind of straight love I don't need in my life.

I wasn't taking shots at YOU....I did bring you up personally and directly once because you kept quoting me, but not once here or through text did I address YOUR personal relationship.....you thinking that I'm thinking this is about you, which is not bro....this is a collective of experiences I've had observing the relationships around me.

Ya'll ain't loving each other hard enough.

Last edited:
Who said they haven't? It may not have been Campbell but plenty of other companies have had minorities apart of there ad campaigns...
Point is, they're always relegated to just "a part" and not the focal point.

If anyone can find me an advertisement where the main characters are all Asian or all Indian or something of the sort, no token minority roles, I'll go back to my hole.

[thread="640352"] [/thread]

Also how are same sex relationships not minorities? or did you mean to make this a gay vs. black ppl thing like the rest of the clowns? :lol: :smh:

If you don't watch tv then your share of advertisements is significantly smaller than the average tv viewer unless you watch a marathon of tv ads online.

That's all I'm saying.
The percentage of people who identify as LGBT is not even close to the percentage of those that are racial minorities.
So the LBGT community is an even smaller minority. Am I getting this right?
Just interesting that if you're going to support a marginalized group, you just skip over the next few most populous ones that would cater to a wider audience.
Again you're assuming they aren't and that based off your limited exposure to tv ads.

If it's coming down strictly to money then it's about which group is unified the most, boycotts the most when discriminated against and offended and who can really put a dent in the pockets of who are making the ads.

I honestly don't get this need to pit the LBGT community against the black community about who gets the most attention from media. It's like a lot of black posters on NT just want something else to be insecure about.

It's so strange cuz I've seen a rash of this in the past few weeks by black posters (I assume) when not long ago I was telling other dudes to stop comparing the struggle of black ppl to the struggle of the LBGT community in their arguments. Now dudes are playing this pity party about losing out to gay ppl and the agenda that's taken over media :smh:

Yall ****** can't get right.

Last edited:
If you don't watch tv then your share of advertisements is significantly smaller than the average tv viewer unless you watch a marathon of tv ads online.

That's all I'm saying.
Well then if my analysis is wrong, then post some examples of ads where other races (especially non-Black ones, which are typically even more underrepresented) are the main stars of the show. If my sample size is really misrepresentative of reality, then share with me things that prove me wrong.
 So the LBGT community is an even smaller minority. Am I getting this right?
Yes.
 Again you're assuming they aren't and that based off your limited exposure to tv ads.

If it's coming down strictly to money then it's about which group is unified the most, boycotts the most when discriminated against and offended and who can really put a dent in the pockets of who are making the ads.

I honestly don't get this need to pit the LBGT community against the black community about who gets the most attention from media. It's like a lot of black posters on NT just want something else to be insecure about.

It's so strange cuz I've seen a rash of this in the past few weeks by black posters (I assume) when not long ago I was telling other dudes to stop comparing the struggle of black ppl to the struggle of the LBGT community in their arguments. Now dudes are playing this pity party about losing out to gay ppl and the agenda that's taken over media 
mean.gif

Yall ****** can't get right.
Are you really going to tell me the LGBT community has more buying power than all of the other racial minorities? Asians have the highest median income in America. Indians are right there with them. Luxury brands flock to Asian communities to open up shop. Even if you want to bring Black people into this argument, the number of them makes even their lower median income way more collectively powerful than the LGBT community's.

The fact of the matter is, there are other discriminated groups in America with way more purchasing power and size than the LGBT community. This is not to say their issues are unimportant. But the primary role of an advertisement is to either 1) drive revenues, or 2) deliver a message. Clearly they were not going with 1) here.

Again, I'm just making an observation that this particular company finds it more important to support X instead of Y. You can read into that how you want. Just don't try and justify things that are blatantly wrong - such as the LGBT community having more economic sway than any of the racial minorities (especially the ones from Asia/Middle East/Indian subcontinent).

The message is crystal clear: the makers of this advertisement/those who approved it decided it was better to portray a normal family as same-sex of the majority race than as a racial minority. Neither one of the two is bad in any way. But it is not ambiguous at all as to where their priorities stand in regards to race vs. sexual orientation.

Some of y'all aren't entirely stupid, so one day when you've matured a bit, done more, seen more of the world you'll realize how idiotic it was to consider one commercial out of the thousands as some part of a massive gay agenda. Just saying, if you sat and really thought about it. carry on.

[thread="640352"] [/thread]

That's all I'm saying.

Well then if my analysis is wrong
Go watch some tv for a few months. Hopefully you get dish but cable will suffice.

Also, I don't need to prove you wrong on this. By your own admission you aren't really adequately qualified to make such a sweeping claim.
Then why were you pretending they weren't a minority in that earlier post?
Are you really going to tell me the LGBT community has more buying power than all of the other racial minorities?
No. That's really not what I said but I've noticed the assumption-question game is another thing NTers have mastered. Read a post jump to a conclusion.

Anyway it's about making use of that power.

Last edited:
Love is love....if anything from my own personal experience gay relationships love harder than most heterosexual ones I've known....that is from MY personal experience.
What does that even mean though? How do you measure love? Because they show good behavior around you? Why are you even measuring other people's love in the first place dude? 

People measure love all the time. Don't act like it doesn't happen :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Go watch some tv for a few months. Hopefully you get dish but cable will suffice.

Also, I don't need to prove you wrong on this. By your own admission you aren't really adequately qualified to make such a sweeping claim.
Sounds right. You can't provide a evidence of your claim, but insist on pinning it on someone else to avoid the discussion.

I could have easily just as said I watch TV 4 hours a day, and you would be none the wiser. Nice try.
 Then why were you pretending they weren't a minority in that earlier post?
If you want to argue semantics, I compared them to racial minorities. Especially since I made a direct statement in regards to racial minorities in the previous sentence. Again, if you want to try and eliminate the context, you can keep trying.
 No. That's really not what I said but I've noticed the assumption-question game is another thing NTers have mastered. Read a post jump to a conclusion.

Anyway it's about making use of that power.
 Originally Posted by Master Zik  
Yup. Sure jumped to conclusions here.

So basically, you've shown that you can't provide a counterexample, can pluck trivial semantics out of context, and can blame other people for the exact thing you are guilty of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom