URBAN MYTH #4080 - A cellphone or laptop can interfere with an airplane's instruments. Srs?

I was reading this article on Bloomberg
http://www.bloomberg.com/...tronic-devices-view.html

The author made the point that, if a cellphone/laptop/ipad could do that, what would stop terrorists from loading up their carry-ons (*sir why are you carrying on 5 laptops??*) and crashing planes left and right? How many of you (who are not terrorists, hopefully) have unintentionally left one of your electronic gadgets on? And you're still alive to talk about it. 

The author also makes the point that "The FAA agreed on Dec. 1 to permit American Airlines pilotsto use iPads in the cockpit, rather than paper flight charts andmanuals, even during takeoff and landing. Yet passengers arestill required to power down anything with an on-off switch." Bogus.  Word to Alec Baldwin. 

No I'm not mad. I'm just curious as to why they lie about it. 

Discuss.  Or not. 

I always thought that cellphones/laptops/electronic gadgets create static making it difficult for pilots to communicate with air traffic controllers.

I fly a lot and this seriously grinds my gears. Especially, when some stewardesses keep pressing like "Airplane mode is not good enough it must be completely turned off. Not even standby."

It's 2012 and you're saying my cell phone can crash this plane? Stop trolling FAA.

They just don't want electronics out during takeoff and landing since they can are more susceptible to fall all over the place as loose objects. The electronics would interfere no more during take off and landing than they would during the middle of the flight when you are using the airlines wifi

/thread

I watched an episode on mythbusters about this and they showed it does mess with the equipment in the cockpit.

The ban on cell phones on aircraft is designed to force passengers to use the expensive in-flight phones.
BUSTED
It was found that cell phone signals, specifically those in the 800-900 MHz range, did intefere with unshielded cockpit instrumentation. Because older aircraft with unshielded wiring can be affected, and because of the possible problems that may arise by having many airborne cell phones "seeing" multiple cell phone towers, the FCC (via enforcement through the FAA) still deems it best to err on the safe side and prohibit the use of cell phones while airborne.
I don't think a handful of cellphones is a problem. However if there was no ban every person on the plane would have a cell phone which would mean hundreds and possibly multiple for one person.

Originally Posted by airblaster503

They just don't want electronics out during takeoff and landing since they can are more susceptible to fall all over the place as loose objects. The electronics would interfere no more during take off and landing than they would during the middle of the flight when you are using the airlines wifi

/thread

wifi =/= gsm cell phone signal.

Originally Posted by AyoDun

I watched an episode on mythbusters about this and they showed it does mess with the equipment in the cockpit.

The ban on cell phones on aircraft is designed to force passengers to use the expensive in-flight phones.
BUSTED
It was found that cell phone signals, specifically those in the 800-900 MHz range, did intefere with unshielded cockpit instrumentation. Because older aircraft with unshielded wiring can be affected, and because of the possible problems that may arise by having many airborne cell phones "seeing" multiple cell phone towers, the FCC (via enforcement through the FAA) still deems it best to err on the safe side and prohibit the use of cell phones while airborne.
I don't think a handful of cellphones is a problem. However if there was no ban every person on the plane would have a cell phone which would mean hundreds and possibly multiple for one person.
I'm calling bs on that.  I find it hard to believe that neither Al-Qaida, Iran or Israel (or any other terrorist organization/country) has exploited this well known "weakness" if it was actually true.  And to your "handful of cellphones" remark, I doubt it would be difficult to build some surcharged phone that actually looked like a computer if it would get the job done.   

They should test this and put about 10 people on a plane all using their sale phones as needed and see if this really messes with any signals

My physical science professor told me they don't allow for cell phones because the plane would be going too fast to track usage or something like that.

Originally Posted by JayHood23

They should test this and put about 10 people on a plane all using their sale phones as needed and see if this really messes with any signals

eek.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif

I have heard that it messes something up with the planes wiring or something, and I've heard that its just BS. An experiment would be interesting to see.

JayHood23 wrote:
k063q0.jpg

?

i went on vacation on like 6 different flights total this past march and was able to use my cell phone and laptop with no problem. only thing they said was to turn them off during take off and landing, but i kept them on anyway in airplane mode.

when you board a plane check if your cell phone is on
or the flight attendant will tell you to turn it off then you will feel like a moron

The reason why this is still something you have to do during takeoff/landing is not because it will interfere with any instrumentation, but because in the event of an emergency, they want your full attention in case they need to give instructions. People have already proved they can't do something as simple as walking and looking at their cellphone at the same time.

The other day I was listening to my ipod and when the pilot came across the speakers to tell everyone to turn off all electronics and remain in their seats sometging weird happened where my ipod shut off and then came back on but the battwry level was in the red then it slowly went back to green.

Originally Posted by FlipnKraut

The reason why this is still something you have to do during takeoff/landing is not because it will interfere with any instrumentation, but because in the event of an emergency, they want your full attention in case they need to give instructions. People have already proved they can't do something as simple as walking and looking at their cellphone at the same time.
This a million times.
And yes, early electronics and their effects weren't fully known OR regulated so its possible that they were trying to head off any unforeseen consequences with interfereing with airline technology.

I mean is it unreal to suggest that while maybe one phone might not, but the combined effect of 100 cell phones MIGHT hamper signal in SOME way? ...on a steel tube 50k feet in the sky? 

Originally Posted by hellaones

The other day I was listening to my ipod and when the pilot came across the speakers to tell everyone to turn off all electronics and remain in their seats sometging weird happened where my ipod shut off and then came back on but the battwry level was in the red then it slowly went back to green.

maybe they're using alien technology to power the planes or fly them. maybe a type of electromagnetic field.

Back
Top Bottom