URBAN MYTH #4080 - A cellphone or laptop can interfere with an airplane's instruments. Srs?

Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

Originally Posted by AyoDun

I watched an episode on mythbusters about this and they showed it does mess with the equipment in the cockpit.

The ban on cell phones on aircraft is designed to force passengers to use the expensive in-flight phones.
BUSTED
It was found that cell phone signals, specifically those in the 800-900 MHz range, did intefere with unshielded cockpit instrumentation. Because older aircraft with unshielded wiring can be affected, and because of the possible problems that may arise by having many airborne cell phones "seeing" multiple cell phone towers, the FCC (via enforcement through the FAA) still deems it best to err on the safe side and prohibit the use of cell phones while airborne.
I don't think a handful of cellphones is a problem. However if there was no ban every person on the plane would have a cell phone which would mean hundreds and possibly multiple for one person.
I'm calling bs on that.  I find it hard to believe that neither Al-Qaida, Iran or Israel (or any other terrorist organization/country) has exploited this well known "weakness" if it was actually true.  And to your "handful of cellphones" remark, I doubt it would be difficult to build some surcharged phone that actually looked like a computer if it would get the job done.   

I've asked a pilot before.  His explanation was on older planes the cell phones interfere with the equipment and can create static in his headset similar to when you leave your cell phone near a set of speakers (i think we all know that sound).  Sounds exactly like the mythbusters explanation.

Now if that's just the standard taught explanation to give... haha

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

Originally Posted by AyoDun

I watched an episode on mythbusters about this and they showed it does mess with the equipment in the cockpit.

The ban on cell phones on aircraft is designed to force passengers to use the expensive in-flight phones.
BUSTED
It was found that cell phone signals, specifically those in the 800-900 MHz range, did intefere with unshielded cockpit instrumentation. Because older aircraft with unshielded wiring can be affected, and because of the possible problems that may arise by having many airborne cell phones "seeing" multiple cell phone towers, the FCC (via enforcement through the FAA) still deems it best to err on the safe side and prohibit the use of cell phones while airborne.
I don't think a handful of cellphones is a problem. However if there was no ban every person on the plane would have a cell phone which would mean hundreds and possibly multiple for one person.
I'm calling bs on that.  I find it hard to believe that neither Al-Qaida, Iran or Israel (or any other terrorist organization/country) has exploited this well known "weakness" if it was actually true.  And to your "handful of cellphones" remark, I doubt it would be difficult to build some surcharged phone that actually looked like a computer if it would get the job done.   

I've asked a pilot before.  His explanation was on older planes the cell phones interfere with the equipment and can create static in his headset similar to when you leave your cell phone near a set of speakers (i think we all know that sound).  Sounds exactly like the mythbusters explanation.

Now if that's just the standard taught explanation to give... haha
Even if true for cellphones, what's the connection with a laptop ipad or ipod?  How are they interfering with the equipment?

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by FlipnKraut

The reason why this is still something you have to do during takeoff/landing is not because it will interfere with any instrumentation, but because in the event of an emergency, they want your full attention in case they need to give instructions. People have already proved they can't do something as simple as walking and looking at their cellphone at the same time.
This a million times.
And yes, early electronics and their effects weren't fully known OR regulated so its possible that they were trying to head off any unforeseen consequences with interfereing with airline technology.

I mean is it unreal to suggest that while maybe one phone might not, but the combined effect of 100 cell phones MIGHT hamper signal in SOME way? ...on a steel tube 50k feet in the sky? 
If it's a 787 it's a composite tube
pimp.gif

I fly a lot and I NEVER turn off my PMP. I've either got my headphones in as soon as I board or I put them in as soon as I sit down. I put my player in my pocket and no one says %!%% to me. The flight attendants aren't allowed to ask what's in your pocket. So if it's not visibly on they won't say a damn thing to you.

Back
Top Bottom