VETERANS DAY: A big thank you to those who have served our country

Veterans Day is more then just a holiday on the calendar, more then a day off.
I'd like to thank all those who are veterans of our United States military, as well as those currently serving... and all that they have done to protectour country and make our country what it is today.
America would not be what it is today if it were not for service of many brave men and women since the beginning of the creation of our great nation.
And for that I'll always be grateful for what they do.

I come from a family with a great military history, so I'm filled with pride when it comes to this issue.

This is my great grandpa....

Lucian_Truscott.jpg
lktruscott-life-cover-photo-01.jpg

Lucian King Truscott, Jr. (January 9, 1895 - September 12, 1965) was a USArmy General, who successively commanded the 3rd Infantry Division, VI Corps, U.S. Fifteenth ArmyU.S. Fifth Army during World War II.

In 1942, then-Colonel Truscott was instrumental in developing an American commando unit patterned after the British Commando units.
On November 8, 1942, as a major general, he led the 9,000 men of the 60th Infantry and 66th Armored Regiment in the landings atMehdia and Port Lyautey in Morocco, part of Operation Torch under General George S. Patton.[sup][1]
[/sup]Truscott took command of the 3rd Infantry Division in April 1943, and oversaw preparations for the invasion of Sicily, Operation Husky.

Truscott once said to his son, "Let me tell you something, and don't ever forget it. You play games to win, not lose. And you fight wars to win.That's spelled W-I-N ! And every good player in a game and every good commander in a war...has to have some son of a (blank) in him. If he doesn't, heisn't a good player or commander....It's as simple as that. No son of a (blank), no commander."
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Ain't that the truth. I must have inherited this trait
wink.gif

Truscott took over command of the U.S. Third Army fromGen. George S. Patton on October 8, 1945, and led it until April 1946.
General Truscott received the Army's second-highest decoration, the Distinguished Service Cross, for valor in action in Sicily on July 11, 1943, thesecond day of the invasion.
and

I'm always appreciative of those risking/giving their lives to fight for my country. I don't need a day to celebrate it... Veterans day is everyday inmy eyes.

Thats one hell of a great grandfather to have. Happy Birthday and Semper Fi to all Marines OORAH!

A big thank you to those who served my country (Canada), and who are still serving to this day.
To those who lost their lives protecting, RIP.

This thread doesn't have enough replies. Bump for all who have served and are currently.

good post TBONE. the inner geek in me loves going to washington DC and seeing the proud former soldiers touring the capital with thier pins and hats. Thierservice to our country is beyond words.

Back
Top Bottom