• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So I'd like to tap into the full potential of this S3, however, being the novice that I am, I have not a clue where to start. I'm sure you guys have probably answered these questions before, and I'd greatly appreciate not having to skim through 600+ pages of info. For starters, is there a one stop FAQ site or page you can direct me to? First things first, how do I maximize battery life for my S3? I've seen "rooting" being mentioned for that.

Please & thanks.

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by Da Doc03

Galaxy nexus running Jellybean is so much win 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

nerd.gif

hows that data connection/service? battery life?

It doesn't flash newer radios since its rom port from a GSM Nexus, just the os its self so you should get the same type of data connection as before. When I was using the stock battery I actually so some improvements. (I'm using 3800mah battery now which runs like champ)
correct... since im on verizon, im still using the 4.0.4 radios... data and all is still the same which has been great for me..
nerd.gif
 http://apple.slashdot.org/story/12/07/05/1727215/first-ios-malware-discovered-in-apples-app-store 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

So I'd like to tap into the full potential of this S3, however, being the novice that I am, I have not a clue where to start. I'm sure you guys have probably answered these questions before, and I'd greatly appreciate not having to skim through 600+ pages of info. For starters, is there a one stop FAQ site or page you can direct me to? First things first, how do I maximize battery life for my S3? I've seen "rooting" being mentioned for that.

Please & thanks.

start here 
http://forum.xda-develope.../forumdisplay.php?f=1667

rooting doesnt help battery life unless you flash a rom and kernal sometimes, if battery life is that important to you buy an extendo, but you should be getting through a day no problem with the stock battery

just got my paws on the SG3 at the Sprint store.

thing was smooth as butta.
pimp.gif

i was amazed at its thinness and how light it was. incredible where technology is. still think i'm gonna hold out until the next Nexus phone (post-GN). Anybody who handles it can't knock it. Sure, TouchWiz may suck, but the technology and the feel of the phone was very nice.

saw David Robinson at the mall here in Portland too (Washington Square) too. random
laugh.gif
guy is tall

so does that galaxy nexus on HSPA+ work on tmo's 4g/att's 4g? i haven't used my upgrade in years and still on that G1 unlimited data plan.

and SG3 or gnexus? i usually research the phones before i go in here but thought i'd ask you guys first.

So my current contract with ATT is already done and not sure if i'm gonna sign another two year contract. Main reason is cause i might be getting into the military soon and don't want to be tied up with a contract just in case i get sent to another country. Thinking of copping a galaxy nexus, anyone know if you could use it in another country? Pretty sure i can as long as i buy a sim card in whatever country i'm in but what else would i need to do? Thanks.

Originally Posted by dont be a menace

so does that galaxy nexus on HSPA+ work on tmo's 4g/att's 4g? i haven't used my upgrade in years and still on that G1 unlimited data plan.

and SG3 or gnexus? i usually research the phones before i go in here but thought i'd ask you guys first.
it works on ATT and T mobile's HSPA+ network. BUt it wont work on ATT's 4G LTE. 
HSPA+ for ATT is fast enough in my opinion 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by piczon1983

smile.gif

"Faux G" yes, LTE no.  I usually pull anywhere from 3-9 Mbps in my area on TMO.  It isn't close to the 20+ on VZW's LTE but in real world use it's definitely fine for me.  That super-duper lightning LTE is for people trying to rip a full movie or dl a whole ROM on their phone to me.  Considering that I was pulling 0.1 on Sprint, I'll always be happy w/ a avg of 5 Mbps now. 

You do need to realize though, especially on TMO, that if you are out of contract you are unecessarily paying extra on a monthly basis than you should be.  Your monthly rate factors in the subsidy that you receive on the phone upgrade that you used.  If you continue going months/years without using an upgrade then you're essentially paying for a new phone that you don't have.  If you keep the G1 and definitely if you get the GNexus you should switch to a Value plan; those plans have lower monthly rates because they don't account for a device subsidy.

Now if the old rate plan you are grandfathered into is cheaper than any current Classic or Value plan available now, then of course all that talk is moot.  I'm not certain, but I have heard reports of having to change your data plan when upgrading to the SGS III though.

As far as the phones are concerned, the GNex is just amazing and the only complaint I have is the below standard camera quality.  For me, picture taking isn't a top priority though.  I've handled the GS III and it's a wonderful device with a great screen.  It has TouchWiz skinned on top of Ice Cream Sandwich but if you get familiar wtih rooting/flashing then it shouldn't be a big deal once development really takes off on the phone.  From a price perspective, the GS III (16 GB) is $200 on-contract and $280 at TMO (actually $330 before mail-in rebate) while the GNexus is $350 (whenever it makes it back to the Play Store).  For me, $350 off contract was just too good a deal to pass up. 

My best advice would be to go to VZW or Sprint and handle the GNexus for 15 minutes (much longer than you'd think when in-store) and then go to TMO/ATT and do the same with the GS III.  Your first opinion is usually the right opinion; don't let the internet make the decision for you
happy.gif

[h1]
[h1]Android Smartphones Hijacked by First Mobile Botnet[/h1]
By John E Dunn, Techworld.com    Jul 6, 2012 12:17 pm

Researchers have spotted evidence of what could be the first extensive global smartphone botnet running on compromised Android devices owned by subscribers in a range of developing countries.
221664-android-malware_original.jpg

In a brief blog airing the evidence, Forefront Online Security engineer Terry Zink said he'd noticed that pharmacy spam coming through Yahoo's email service were signed with the telltale 'Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android' signature at the end of each message.

An examination of the embedded IP addresses showed they came from Chile, Indonesia, Lebanon, Oman, Philippines, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Ukraine, and Venezuela.

"All of these message are sent from Android devices. We've all heard the rumors, but this is the first time I have seen it -- a spammer has control of a botnet that lives on Android devices. These devices log into the user's Yahoo Mail account and send spam," said Zink.

The most likely explanation was that the infected users had installed a rogue app from an unapproved Android market, he said.

"I am betting that the users of those phones downloaded some malicious Android app in order to avoid paying for a legitimate version and they got more than they bargained for. Either that or they acquired a rogue Yahoo Mail app," wrote Zink.

"This is the next evolution in the cat-and-mouse game that is email security," he added, referring to longstanding fears that malware authors would start building mobile bots to complement the hordes that already hosted on infected Windows PCs.
[h2]Security Firm Spots Spam, Too[/h2]
Security firm Sophos confirmed Zink's research, agreeing that the spam has been coming from legitimate Yahoo accounts.

"It is likely that Android users are downloading Trojanized pirated copies of paid Android applications. The samples we analyzed originated in Argentina, Ukraine, Pakistan, Jordan and Russia," said Sophos's Chester Wisniewski.
221379-android_malware180_original.jpg

Should the average Android in the U.K. and U.S. user be unduly worried? Not really. The counterfeit "wrapper" apps that set up this botnet are unlikely to have come from Google Play, the renamed and somewhat reformed market the search giant set up to fix previous criticisms that it wasn't vetting apps on its marketplace. Criminals will be using non-approved download sites to entrap users.

It does underline that mobile networks and devices are often barely undefended, making it easier to build mobile bots than previously assumed. The new evidence is the first verifiable evidence of an Android botnet being built on any scale using compromised subscribers.

The bot (or bots) in question could also be substantial given that subscribers from multiple countries appear to be involved. Mobile bots are harder to spot -- or perhaps fewer researchers are looking for them -- which suggests this one could have been around for some time.

"Android users should exercise caution when downloading applications for their devices and definitely avoid downloading pirated programs from unofficial sources," said Wisniewski.

"Google, Amazon and others may not be perfect at keeping malware off of their stores, but the risk increases dramatically outside of their ecosystems."

Google later issued a statement that refuted the botnet claims. "The evidence does not support the Android botnet claim. Our analysis suggests that spammers are using infected computers and a fake mobile signature to try to bypass anti-spam mechanisms in the email platform they're using," reported ZDNet.
[/h1]

http://www.pcworld.com/article/258853/android_smartphones_hijacked_by_first_mobile_botnet.html

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Google denies Android botnet report, Microsoft researcher admits he guessed at the source[/h1] By Sean Hollister on July 5, 2012 09:47 pm

android-4-robot-logo-stock2_1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

inShare

Yesterday, we told you how a Microsoft anti-spam engineer claimed to have found a network of Android devices designed to send spam. Today, it looks like that report might have just been an educated guess. While the emails do indeed say "Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android," Google says its own analysis points a different direction. "The evidence does not support the Android botnet claim," the company wrote in a statement. "Our analysis suggests that spammers are using infected computers and a fake mobile signature to bypass anti-spam mechanisms in the email platform they're using."

More importantly, the security researchers who initially outed the botnet are now admitting that they actually don't know for sure. Terry Zink, the Microsoft researcher who originally wrote the report, now says that he considered that the messages could have been spoofed, but decided that it simply made more sense for them to have come from Android. Chet Wisniewski, a Sophos security advisor who suggested that users should install Sophos Mobile Security to avoid being infected by an app that could send this kind of spam, told The Wall Street Journal that "we don't know for sure that it's coming from Android devices."

Yahoo told The Register that it's investigating the issue.

There's still a definite possibility that this is indeed an Android botnet of some sort, and both researchers claim the evidence points that direction, but we're far less certain than we were before, and a little less trusting, too.

http://www.theverge.com/2...es-android-botnet-report

Don't trust everything you hear from Microsoft.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Da Doc03

^ thank God...

I do hope Google takes a more active role in regulating the Play Store. Not Apple-level, but reject more crappy apps.

Originally Posted by d e beatup

Originally Posted by piczon1983

smile.gif

"Faux G" yes, LTE no.  I usually pull anywhere from 3-9 Mbps in my area on TMO.  It isn't close to the 20+ on VZW's LTE but in real world use it's definitely fine for me.  That super-duper lightning LTE is for people trying to rip a full movie or dl a whole ROM on their phone to me.  Considering that I was pulling 0.1 on Sprint, I'll always be happy w/ a avg of 5 Mbps now. 

You do need to realize though, especially on TMO, that if you are out of contract you are unecessarily paying extra on a monthly basis than you should be.  Your monthly rate factors in the subsidy that you receive on the phone upgrade that you used.  If you continue going months/years without using an upgrade then you're essentially paying for a new phone that you don't have.  If you keep the G1 and definitely if you get the GNexus you should switch to a Value plan; those plans have lower monthly rates because they don't account for a device subsidy.

Now if the old rate plan you are grandfathered into is cheaper than any current Classic or Value plan available now, then of course all that talk is moot.  I'm not certain, but I have heard reports of having to change your data plan when upgrading to the SGS III though.

As far as the phones are concerned, the GNex is just amazing and the only complaint I have is the below standard camera quality.  For me, picture taking isn't a top priority though.  I've handled the GS III and it's a wonderful device with a great screen.  It has TouchWiz skinned on top of Ice Cream Sandwich but if you get familiar wtih rooting/flashing then it shouldn't be a big deal once development really takes off on the phone.  From a price perspective, the GS III (16 GB) is $200 on-contract and $280 at TMO (actually $330 before mail-in rebate) while the GNexus is $350 (whenever it makes it back to the Play Store).  For me, $350 off contract was just too good a deal to pass up. 

My best advice would be to go to VZW or Sprint and handle the GNexus for 15 minutes (much longer than you'd think when in-store) and then go to TMO/ATT and do the same with the GS III.  Your first opinion is usually the right opinion; don't let the internet make the decision for you
happy.gif

thanks for the in depth reply. i actually have a mt4g running on 2.3.4, i got it thru insurance since they didn't carry the g1 anymore. i'm still grandfathered on my g1 unlimited data plan. i don't get a lot of minutes but i barely talk on my phone anyways so i'm paying $70 a month with premium insurance. i did just take a look at the value plan, it would probably be $10 cheaper if i switch, the only difference is the data cap would be at 2gb and mine is at 5gb right now. but i'll check with my dude who works at tmo about switching my plan.

as far as LTE over 4g, I don't really mind the difference. I'm not on my phone too much for streaming although being able to put out a hotspot is needed, do both phones have it out of the box? plus the price difference would be too much to switch over verizon with their plans.

nexus q is looking like a dud

engadget says everything needs to uploaded to google like music and movies you cant just put in your sd card with a movie and play it

ill cop depending what the devs can cook up, but its not looking good its just too expensive for what it can do currently

thanks for the in depth reply. i actually have a mt4g running on 2.3.4, i got it thru insurance since they didn't carry the g1 anymore. i'm still grandfathered on my g1 unlimited data plan. i don't get a lot of minutes but i barely talk on my phone anyways so i'm paying $70 a month with premium insurance. i did just take a look at the value plan, it would probably be $10 cheaper if i switch, the only difference is the data cap would be at 2gb and mine is at 5gb right now. but i'll check with my dude who works at tmo about switching my plan.

as far as LTE over 4g, I don't really mind the difference. I'm not on my phone too much for streaming although being able to put out a hotspot is needed, do both phones have it out of the box? plus the price difference would be too much to switch over verizon with their plans.

Depends on what your needs really are.  If you get a Nexus, I'd go prepaid.  TMO has a prepaid plan through Walmart (they may offer it direclty also) that's only $30 for 5GB of HSPA+ data but only 100 mins.  Straight Talk allows you to choose either AT&T or TMO service and get unlimited talk, text & data for $45, though most would say that you start gambling on throttling/getting kicked off once you exceed 2GB.  

Every carrier offers discounts, you just have to find them.  I had 20% off at Sprint through my employer and have 10% at TMO now (need to check if there's anything higher).  VZW offered a 23% employee discount but I didn't like that they wanted me to pay a deposit.  AT&T also offered either 20 or 23% for my old lady being a teacher.  Hell, Sprint even advertised a 15% discount just for being a member of my credit union.  The main thing I hate about staying on contract vs. prepaid though is the fees that they add for postpaid.  

I believe that the GS III has hotspot enabled on the International Version but I'm not sure on the T-Mobile subsidized model.  Carrier versions tend to strip it away because they want to make $ off of you paying for it.  The Galaxy Nexus has it because it's enabled in Vanilla Android.  Either way, there are apps like Google's own supported Wifi Tether or FoxFi, a free app that doesn't require root, that allow you to turn your phone into a hotspot.

Question for everyone. I have a ATT S2 Skyrocket. Someone wants to trade me their HTC One X + $100. Is this a good deal? Or am I getting the short end of the bargain?

If it does sound like a good deal on my end, might go for it. I know it is a newer and faster phone, but not sure if $100 on top is the right price.

Originally Posted by JewelKnows

Question for everyone. I have a ATT S2 Skyrocket. Someone wants to trade me their HTC One X + $100. Is this a good deal? Or am I getting the short end of the bargain?

If it does sound like a good deal on my end, might go for it. I know it is a newer and faster phone, but not sure if $100 on top is the right price.

Either your trolling or are the luckiest dude in this thread. You should be paying him the $100 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom