Want to Change the World? Vol. KONY 2012

I'm not gonna front. They got me. Top dude of the organizaton making damn near 90k and these dudes are going to cash in on people with their donations and the buying of the merch. I personally didn't do my due diligence and I got sucked in. I still hope my donation goes to putting a meal on the table for a kid opposed to their film gear. Lesson learned. I do hope dude gets caught though.

Originally Posted by Coolidge Effect

It doesn't seem like this story of Kony is written in black and white. It seems like Invisible Children has an ulterior motive. 
tired.gif

It is still evident that the leader of the LRA movement is still at large but reports state that there is a decrease of 80%. However, do not be mistaken. Invisble Children did not cause this. This was caused by Ugandan military and the International Criminal Court efforts to stop Kony.

...According to the New York Times, there was a recent discovery of oil in 2007 but Uganda has been slow in the production of oil. It is estimated that Uganda can earn approximately 2 billion dollars a year off of the oil reserves found in the country. Furthermore, on February 28, 2012 investments in the Uganda Oil Sector skyrocketed to a close billion dollars according to the Wall Street Journal.

Source

Yo real talk this is the most important post in the thread

Originally Posted by Gex The Damaja

Why the sudden interest in Joesph Kony? Kony has been running around for decades now, been on the most wanted list since 2005, nothing has changed. Where was all of this support when Darfur was going through one of the most violent civil war in history? If you didn't care then don't start caring now just because it's the cool thing to do now. Crazy support has to be won to help others instead of giving freely.

I don't even know what to think anymore, all I know is a i donated with my own good intentions at heart...sort of when you hand that bum on the side of the highway a dollar and he uses it to fund his drug habit....I gave him a dollar to help him out, it's out of my control what he does with it, that's something the receiving end should carry on their conscience

why don't we fix HOME first then worry about a coup to rid Kony from Uganda?

You made the promise, not me.

Dont mean to sound insensitive but this reeks of propaganda.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

I don't even know what to think anymore, all I know is a i donated with my own good intentions at heart...sort of when you hand that bum on the side of the highway a dollar and he uses it to fund his drug habit....I gave him a dollar to help him out, it's out of my control what he does with it, that's something the receiving end should carry on their conscience

I just think it is common sense to not make an emotional donation to a cause that you haven't even done your research in. And yes, that is what you all have done here. Felt good, watched a NICE video, donated. Come on people, stop being such money throwers.

Wow I'm impressed and happy that there are people out there that can make real change.

Makes no sense when your donating online to Donate blindly like that .I always try to look through the smoke and mirrors .I appreciate what you did but next time and this goes to everybody look deeper into what you donate too.I don't even trust Meth stuff unless I read up on it thoroughly .

Why the sudden interest in Joesph Kony? Kony has been running around for decades now, been on the most wanted list since 2005, nothing has changed. Where was all of this support when Darfur was going through one of the most violent civil war in history? If you didn't care then don't start caring now just because it's the cool thing to do now. Crazy support has to be won to help others instead of giving freely.

Maybe because this video opened the eyes of many people who may not have known about this man. Man some people are just very cynical. It's never too late to care

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

Makes no sense when your donating online to Donate blindly like that .I always try to look through the smoke and mirrors .I appreciate what you did but next time and this goes to everybody look deeper into what you donate too.I don't even trust Meth stuff unless I read up on it thoroughly .

You guys are completely right, self awareness and education is key and yes in fact I was sold with the video and still hope that's where my 35$ are going, my conscience is clean and that's all I can say
ohwell.gif

I watched that Invisible Children movie in 9th grade, it's a really sad situation over there

Very interesting that the Director of Policy and Advocacy of Mercy Corp (The organization that was used by NT to help with the tsunamis in Japan) doesn't fully buy into the Invisible Children cause.

Jeremy Konyndyk's twitter

Sad that a lot of this information won't reach the masses though.

Originally Posted by Nappy

Maybe because this video opened the eyes of many people who may not have known about this man. Man some people are just very cynical. It's never too late to care
Cynical? Has nothing to do with being cynical, being a realist. Throwing a dollar at the problem and then throwing up a #KONY2012 on your facebook, twitter, tumblr, what ever social website just for recognition, Why are people donation to this but not 50 cent's organization? I'm all for people addressing the greater problem but don't act like you're "holy than thou" because you donated a dollar to a problem that needs a lot more then money to fix. Kony is associated with Uganda, Sudan, and Congo(the latter two with an ample amount of problems that aren't covered in any popular video at the time).
Edit: What's even worse about the Darfur situation was there was coverage of it, and people ignored it completely.  

or because Darfur 2003 didn't give out bracelets and action packs while Kony 2012 did.

it is too late to care when the people you're trying to care about are already dead, chopped up in a ditch...%%%? 
eyes.gif

I believe Kony assumed his leader ship in 1989 and covert op missions to take him down by the UN and US began in 2006, so you're either 20 years late, or 6 years late. either way, that's a lot of dead bodies

it's okay though, go hang up those posters, so obama can actually consider taking him down, because foreign intervention has never had any backlash and one dimensional thinking leads to one dimensional solutions which leads to great success...

tired of this fauxtivism

Cynical? Has nothing to do with being cynical, being a realist. Throwing a dollar at the problem and then throwing up a #KONY2012 on your facebook, twitter, tumblr, what ever social website just for recognition, Why are people donation to this but not 50 cent's organization? I'm all for people addressing the greater problem but don't act like you're "holy than thou" because you donated a dollar to a problem that needs a lot more then money to fix. Kony is associated with Uganda, Sudan, and Congo(the latter two with an ample amount of problems that aren't covered in any popular video at the time). 
I didn't think that I came off as someone that thinks they are holier than thou. Lol whereas you come off very cynical. I get it, don't do anything now or you're just a poser. okay ill just sit back and watch the %!+% show on Nike Talk. Have a good day

Didn't read the thread but charitynavigator.org is a great resource for those interested.

Change the world? Capturing one guy is gonna change the world? How bout we help all the children in the United States. Instead of donating your $30 to a charity who, from their financial reports, makes poor decisions, you take your time to mentor a kid in your city. People watch a 30 min YouTube video or retweet rihanna now they think they are changing the world. Wow! Like many people have pointed out in this thread, not buying the whole IC movement. Once Kony is out, someone will step in. How bout we help ourselves first.

Nappy wrote:

I didn't think that I came off as someone that thinks they are holier than thou. Lol whereas you come off very cynical. I get it, don't do anything now or you're just a poser. okay ill just sit back and watch the %!+% show on Nike Talk. Have a good day

Apologizes if I came off as cynical( I don't see it but ok), Never said it was you personally either but why do you think people have changed their facebook status, tweets to Include the invisible children, the LRA, and Kony? You don't think it has to do with gaining recognition? But the end game is still this, You donated, now what? Are you going to move on from this once #KONY2012 is no longer popular? While good in itself, the donation isn't going to stop kony from committing his attacks(donations are used a lot for prevention, ie "Kony's coming get out of the village"). This a good example of global problems that the public is always late on. If anything become informed about the global world in general, a lot more problems then #KONY2012.  Again this is not a personal attack on you, just a explanation of my field of view.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I just think it is common sense to not make an emotional donation to a cause that you haven't even done your research in. And yes, that is what you all have done here. Felt good, watched a NICE video, donated. Come on people, stop being such money throwers.

It felt great to donate to something like this.. you see, most of the people who watched this video felt united in the feeling of hating what's going on and agreeing that it should be stopped.

For the first time in a while, the US and a lot of the world has found something that we all agree on. Whether or not this is Charity is real, it brought the world together in a good way.
pimp.gif

I pm Method Man and I all I have to say is dude dropped some knowledge. I literally was blown away by his responses and realize there is a lot that we as a community don't know. This video caught or attention but we need to gain self awareness about charities and how they work, the propaganda, their intentions. I'm not saying that this isnt a good cause...because I would def want to be part of it....we just need to do research before we follow the hype. I def want to learn more about this now.

Originally Posted by env

Change the world? Capturing one guy is gonna change the world?

Yes. If this works, this will say so much for the power of social media in a good way. By the looks of it, people think that Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and everything like that is going to ruin our childrens future by sucking them into computers so that they don't even know what's going on in the world.

If this campaign is successful, it'll show that the internet is capable of amazing things.

That video was damn effective respect must be given to there team. The music, the shots, the personalized touch, the kids crying 7 mins in. Professionals man.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dimez81

I pm Method Man and I all I have to say is dude dropped some knowledge. I literally was blown away by his responses and realize there is a lot that we as a community don't know. This video caught or attention but we need to gain self awareness about charities and how they work, the propaganda, their intentions. I'm not saying that this isnt a good cause...because I would def want to be part of it....we just need to do research before we follow the hype. I def want to learn more about this now.

Can we read them please

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

Originally Posted by dimez81

Can we read them please

I would have to ask him if I can post.......Hopefully he would just come in here and talk eventually.  

Back
Top Bottom