Was this racist?

First off, i'm Korean. Just putting that out there. In no way am I saying I'm allowed to be racist to other Asians just because i'm Asian myself.

Here's the story, cliffnotes style:

- I bought RAM from a seller (a Chinese guy), $10.99 BIN with $6.99 shipping.
- I receive item, RAM does not work. Tested on multiple computers by my oft-called computer-geek pal.
- I search his inventory, find something I need, and I email him asking for an exchange, and that i'd pay for the difference.
- He tells me not to send the difference. He says there is a $5 exchange fee (actual amount not stated in hisauction), and that i'd have to pay the $6.99 shipping fee again, bringing my grand total to $37.97.
- I argue about the ridiculous exchange fee and the shipping charge, because actual shipping is about $1.00. He is adamant about his "fees".
- I say forget it, give me a refund, he says he "can't" refund shipping charges. I argue that, offer to do a transaction cancellation so hedoesn't lose money. He still says no to that. Basically he's doing his best to keep my money.

A few emails go back and forth, mostly arguing his ridiculous business/return policy and questioning his claim to having the best return policy amongeBay's RAM sellers. I quickly find one seller with a better return policy, and even map out a scenario if I were to have gone through the same situationwith said seller. I clearly prove that his return policy isn't the best.

During this ordeal, the seller receives about 5 negative feedbacks about the SAMEproblem...defective/non-working/incompatible item, ridiculous shipping charges. (But he has close to a 30,000 rating).

He then starts making crap up, saying I demanded a more expensive item for free, claims that were immediately Mutumbo'ed (showed him the email that wasfirst sent to him). He's being generally difficult and adamant about his return policy that he pulled out of his crack. I also question his legitimacy as abusiness, and if the government knows about the $5+ he pockets from overcharging shipping. He avoided that question 3 times.

I say "You're no different from your Chinese brethren who sell counterfeitmerchandise on Canal St." because his merchandise and attitude are utterly despicable.

He calls me a racist. I made no other comment about his being Chinese before or after.

Thoughts?

And if you haven't figured out, it's NOT about the money.

it can be viewed that way.

but i dont believe it.

i'm filipino if that matters

and you should have gotten your ram from newegg.com

i just got two 2gb g.sklll sticks for my macbook pro for $46

Yeah, that was racist. You classified those individuals on Canal St. as "your Chinese bretheren" when its just those individual who happen to beChinese. That seller is a scumbag, but it has nothing to do with his race. Imagine if you said "you're no different than your black/white/latinobrethren." You bringing up race pretty much voided all of your valid and rational points and now that guy has your racist email as record if you were tobring up emails as records to ebay. There was no reason for you to bring up race.

Originally Posted by georgehimself

Yeah, that was racist. You classified those individuals on Canal St. as "your Chinese bretheren" when its just those individual who happen to be Chinese. That seller is a scumbag, but it has nothing to do with his race. Imagine if you said "you're no different than your black/white/latino brethren." You bringing up race pretty much voided all of your valid and rational points and now that guy has your racist email as record if you were to bring up emails as records to ebay. There was no reason for you to bring up race.
I totally get your point, but it's no secret that the Chinese street-vendors in the city sell fake/low-quality merchandise. It's a knownfact.

I'd say yes.

You generalized him and that is a form of racism. Its no different from the thread a week back about the black women (and someone made a comment that it wasmostly black men) and then some people got upset because they were black and they weren't like that. You were basically grouping all of a people of onerace together in a negative way.

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Originally Posted by georgehimself

Yeah, that was racist. You classified those individuals on Canal St. as "your Chinese bretheren" when its just those individual who happen to be Chinese. That seller is a scumbag, but it has nothing to do with his race. Imagine if you said "you're no different than your black/white/latino brethren." You bringing up race pretty much voided all of your valid and rational points and now that guy has your racist email as record if you were to bring up emails as records to ebay. There was no reason for you to bring up race.
I totally get your point, but it's no secret that the Chinese street-vendors in the city sell fake/low-quality merchandise. It's a known fact.
You are correct, but its just those individuals. you can't classify THE WHOLE RACE based on what they do. You also said "brethren"like they are all brothers and all act the same, and they are linked by the same DNA and its in their blood to scheme and swindle. I know I am making a bit ofa reach, but so is generalizing the whole population based on what a small group does.

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

I'd say yes.

You generalized him and that is a form of racism. Its no different from the thread a week back about the black women (and someone made a comment that it was mostly black men) and then some people got upset because they were black and they weren't like that. You were basically grouping all of a people of one race together in a negative way.
I don't think I generalized him; my opinion of him was based on my personal experience and the comments of other unsatisfied buyers. I groupedhim with the Chinese street-vendors, not the people as a whole.

The main reason behind my comments is that he was fronting like he was some powerhouse seller with a concrete business policy. I said "I could sell 30,000paper clips and have the same feedback as you." The "Chinese brethren" comment followed.

I wouldnt say so, but since everyone is reaching when it comes to racism lately.....then yes.

Thanks georgehimself, p0tat0 5alad, and everyone else for your input. I honestly thought I was clear when I was comparing him to Chinese street-merchants, notChinese PEOPLE. I'm just really irritated with this guy: when he first replied with the $5 exchange fee and $6.99 shipping charge", he actually said"We have already made a bent-over-backward offer". I looked at my monitor like
eek.gif
indifferent.gif

Straight from the email:

You may return along with a copy of invoice and accordingly to written terms. Do not send $8 with your return. To exchange with the item you requested, you must send $13. per item. If you do not think it is fair, return for refund. Our return policy and offer is more than fair and much better than any ebay memory sellers on ebay where you will receive far less refund with additional restock over s/h fees . Since we have made our very best offer, please do not send additional email to negotiate this $5 difference. We don't ship 2nd item in the same package for free. 2nd item inside the same package is charged $5.99. We have already made bent-over-backward offer.

Back
Top Bottom