Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is glen rice jr? Never seen him play but he seems like a problem off the court
He was a problem up Ga Tech, so who knows how hes gonna act with the DC clubs and chicks :lol: ... hopefully the D league helped him to chill out

Eric went down with that crucial knee injury against Houston and had to be carried off the court. He was traded to Portland after losing his back-up PG duties and was looking good without the brace towards the end of the season.

OKC missed his tempo and ability run the pick & roll/get the team into somewhat of an offense.

I went to college and played with Eric, so I'm slightly biased....but I would love to see him on the Wizards and back closer to his home state of NC.
You went to VCU??? I just finished working Shaka Smart Basketball camp last week. Saw Eric and a few other current and former VCU players.

SpearsNBAYahoo:

Wizards are making a contract offer to their own free agent G-F Martell Webster today, source tells Y! Sports. He is Wiz "No. 1" FA priority

GET.IT.DONE.

More from Spears:

Wizards also would "love" to bring back Antawn Jamison,who played there from 2004-10. Wiz texted the mutually interested Jamison on Sunday

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Martell Webster could sign a new deal as soon as today, reports @MrMichaelLee. sbn.to/11aSje2

I'll go back on what I said earlier....Martell will be back.

Last edited:
How is glen rice jr? Never seen him play but he seems like a problem off the court

Caught two of his playoff games dude can shoot has a good iso game, everyone said he was average and turned up in the playoffs so i guess i caught him at a good time

I never was a big Maynor fan but he's certainly an upgrade over AJ Price, Shelvin Mack, Jannero Pargo, and whatever other fringe NBA back-up points that's been here in the past few years.

Maynor is a better floor general than Price, but he's also worse at scoring. Price had the advantage of being able to play the 2 next to Wall as an additional 3pt shooter.

This was a decent move, I guess..

You went to VCU??? I just finished working Shaka Smart Basketball camp last week. Saw Eric and a few other current and former VCU players.

I did...I did. After transferring from ODU out to AZ to go play...but, ummm "a situation" brought me back to VA so VCU was the move.

Shaka is actually married to my old girlfriend's cousin....who is also the neice of Derek Andesen. Small world. Nice nice people. When she said "Uncle Derek is coming to Thanksgiving...." I was like that what's up.

Then they gave me this shirt as a joke form their Kentucky Days:

Anyways, back to move!

I am glad to see E back on the East Coast and that I'll get to see him play again....watched him for years and played with them all the time at Franklin, Siegel, and Cary. He even tried to smash my roommates girl and I ended up "dating" his old girl a few months ago. Small world.

If his knee continues to improve the Wizards just got a steal with Maynor.

Yessssir.

maynor? great vcu garbage. can the wiz sign real nba players.

You'd rather have AJ Price?

Maynor is a step up from anything we had/have. I am very glad he is a wizard and now really hoping we can sign Martell. With all the possible health concerns Martell will get playing time. Whether Beal misses some time or Ariza or John. Martell should be the first person off the bench.

Maynor is a better floor general than Price, but he's also worse at scoring. Price had the advantage of being able to play the 2 next to Wall as an additional 3pt shooter.

This was a decent move, I guess..

Agreed. I don't think Maynor is an optimal fit, as anytime he's out on the floor w/ Wall, opposing teams will just pack the paint. That said, I don't think he's a bad signing if the contract parameters are right.

Overall, he's an upgrade over Price, and I suppose it does open up the possibility of an effective three guard lineup.

Last edited:
Maynor got the bi-annual exception:

David Aldridge reports the deal is for the bi-annual exception, which starts at $2.016 million.

Link

2 year deal, so it's not the worst signing in the world. He's going to be an upgrade over price, and maybe (like Webster) Maynor will put it all together here in DC and become a valuable part of the rotation.

I'm not mad at the signing at all. The only other guys who I was interested in were Beno Udrih and Darren Collision. However, I think both would command contracts for more than what the Wizards could offer.

More on Maynor:

Eric Maynor joins Wizards, giving John Wall a competent, but unspectacular backup

In other news...

Andray Blatche makes a smart financial decision....no, really.

Link

Doesn't affect the cap, so I really don't care....but he's hurting Ted's pockets w/ this one.

And as Prada stated in the article:

Maybe Blatche took less money out of the goodness of his heart. Maybe he wanted so badly for the Nets to preserve the taxpayer mid-level exception.

I'll choose to believe he purposely screwed the Wizards, though.

One of the greatest games I've seen live...ever.

Eric just took over and his will to win the CAA Championship was classic. Lore for the ages in Richmond. :smokin

Some nuggets on GRJr.

I'm a Glen Rice Jr. fan. I only saw him once in-person, but he performed real well that game. I believe it was one of his first starts of the season -- scored 35 points and had 15 rebounds. He was lights out from three; showed a bit of a mid-range game as well. Without doing much background work on him (but knowing some of the basic stuff about his prior history), I didn't have too much concerns about him. Several GM's asked my opinion on where I felt he should be drafted and I viewed him as a late first-rounder (25-30).

As you probably know, I (we) follow the D-League pretty closely over at RU, Rice Jr. didn't hit my radar until later in the season last year for obvious reasons (playing time). However, his lack of playing time early in the season was in large part due to the incredibly stacked roster that RGV had and carried throughout the season. They most certainly had the highest level of talent out of any NBADL team this past season.

Rice Jr. had to transition from the speed of the college game to the speed of the D-League which is a HUGE difference! I feel like that was something he worked on and it showed late in the season when he was more effective. He found a rhythm, and also spots on floor to enabled him success not only around the hoop, but also from long range. He figured out proper spacing which is a key element in the professional game as opposed to college.

He is a multi-skilled player offensively, he can shoot it obviously, but what impresses me is how reacts to contact and can finish around the hoop. Defensively, once again he had to adjust to the speed of the game as opposed to what he saw in college. From what I saw, he never was a liability later in the season defensively, and he picked up on head coach Nick Nurse's defensive schemes as the season progressed. RGV loved to get out and run, and he fit in with their high-powered offense, which was a product of their tenacity on defense.

As far as flaws go, I still think he needs more work on the basic fundamentals in set offensive formations. This will become even more important in Washington, but he has shown that he's a student of the game, so I'm confident he will pick things up fast. Obviously, there are the off-the-court issues in his past, has he matured and surpassed falling victim to these distractions? That's hard to say and I can't answer that. You mentioned a strong locker room in Wash, I think that will decide his future honestly, if he can latch on with one or two veterans, that will be huge for him!

Meet Glen Rice Jr.

@WojYahooNBA: Martell Webster has reached agreement on a four year deal with Washington, league source tells Y!

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

4 years/22 mil w/ a partial guarantee on his last year of the contract.

We used the full MLE for this, so IMO, it pretty much guarantees Antawn Jamison will be back for the vet minimum - unless he goes elsewhere.

Wall
Beal
Webster
Nene
Okafor

Porter
Ariza
Booker
Maynor
Seraphin
Vesely
Singleton
Rice Jr.
*Temple
*Jamison

*I think there is one more roster spot...either it's going to Temple or Jamison...not sure if they can have both.

Last edited:
Ok...I'll be the first to say it. I like Martell but...5 and half mil a year?

To give that to someone who plays a position that you just spent a top 3 pick on is kind of backwards.

They could have spent less and bought in a 4 or 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom