Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
@BulletsForever This is like when you choose the "Buy It Now" price on eBay when you could just bid for way lower.

I really like Webster but dude better not get injured or start sucking after receiving that contract. And Ariza is def gone now.

I am still worried about our frontcourt depth, what is being done to address this? If Nene or Okafor goes down (we know damn well Nene isn't playing more than 65-70 games) what then?

Okafor is the highest paid player on the team? :smh: is there not a legit big guy we can bring in? Looks like the only thing missing is a dominate low post guy. Nene can grab some boards but the 4 and 5 is shallow

I'm worried about the front court depth as well. DT is right, you can't count on Nene to play more than 65-70 games in a season. They should just be smart about how much he's being used and cap him at 25mpg.

Here's the roster per BF:

PG: John Wall/Eric Maynor
SG: Bradley Beal/Garrett Temple/Glen Rice Jr.
SF: Martell Webster/Otto Porter/Trevor Ariza
PF: Nene/Trevor Booker/Chris Singleton
C: Emeka Okafor/Kevin Seraphin/Jan Vesely

Just gotta x our fingers taht Seraphin takes a step forward in his development as well as Booker.

Ves at center??? :x

*edit*

More on Webster from BDL

If Webster's the guy he was last year, then the non-taxpayer midlevel exception — which starts at $5.15 million next season, then escalates over the course of the contract — doesn't seem like a super-troubling amount. Not only did Webster shoot 42.2 percent from 3-point land for the Wizards last year, but he shot a scorching 49 percent from the short corners, according to NBA.com's stat tool, making him an elite converter of a very efficient shot that Washington point guard John Wall generates in bunches through his drive-and-kick game. Plus, as Mike Prada of Wizards blog Bullets Forever noted, Webster's preferred corner (the right one, where he knocked down 58.5 percent of his looks last season) mirrors the sweet spot of rising sophomore sniper Bradley Beal, who drilled 57.1 percent of his tries from the left corner.

Link

He's just gotta keep his health....

Last edited:
Wow, the FULL MLE?!  Did Ernie even negotiate?  Can Ernie even negotiate?

Martell said he wanted to feel loved.  Ernie broke out the diamond engagement ring after one date and said to hell with the prenup.  

I like Martell.  I wanted to see him back.  To spend $22 million over 4 years for what will likely be 8 ppg is insane.  It's not quite as bad as Redick's rumored deal, but when you consider that Chase Budinger just agreed to 3 years at $17 million this contract just seems out of line with market value - and I agree, nobody else would've offered him even close to the full MLE.  

You could've thrown the MLE at a guy like Jarrett Jack instead and really added an impact player capable of backing up Wall, playing sixth man, and even coming into the starting lineup if Beal or Wall is injured - as is too often the case.  To throw it all on a player who is, frankly, redundant at this point doesn't make sense. 

The players we added in the draft gave the team LEVERAGE in negotiating this contract.  Nobody was going to offer him a starting role.  Nobody was going to offer him $5 million a year.  If you were CONVINCED that he was the ideal tutor for Porter, then make it a two year, $10 million deal.  Look at how badly Boston wants out of Courtney Lee's contract.  It's almost the same exact deal.  We didn't bend on the annual salary.  We didn't bend on the contract duration.  Grunfeld folded faster than Superman on laundry day. 

In today's NBA, cap management is literally half the job of a good GM.  The mantra is always the right player at the right price.  If the price isn't right, you have to move on and find somebody else who can fit the role.  

If you're as deathly afraid of the luxury tax as Leonsis is, it becomes doubly important to mind the cap.  He failed to do so here and I've little doubt it'll come back to haunt us, no matter how likable Webster may be.
Could Ariza net a serviceable 4?
At the deadline if we're LUCKY.  Otherwise, there's little choice but to wait it out and see what free agent we can grossly overpay next summer.

I'll bet my house that the team will be trying to move that contract after year 2.

Watch.

After the second year its expected no one will be paying that guy that much

Im guessing Ernie loves him so he gave him a good contract to take care of him till they find a suitable trade so that some other suckers are paying him instead

Man I am not even mad about the Martell deal. There were games last year where i swear he was the only person on the court who wanted to play. He competes night in and night out and I am glad to see him back. A little too much money.....yeah ok....but id rather over pay and have him then not have him at all. All this we could have got him for less is speculation really....just glad he is back and looking forward to the season :smokin

Yea i aint even made with all the money coming off the books after this season we can sign a max player then have john sign a max contract but it has to be in that order cause we cab go over the cap to sign john, correct me if im wrong

Wow, the FULL MLE?!  Did Ernie even negotiate?  Can Ernie even negotiate?

Martell said he wanted to feel loved.  Ernie broke out the diamond engagement ring after one date and said to hell with the prenup.  

I like Martell.  I wanted to see him back.  To spend $22 million over 4 years for what will likely be 8 ppg is insane.  It's not quite as bad as Redick's rumored deal, but when you consider that Chase Budinger just agreed to 3 years at $17 million this contract just seems out of line with market value - and I agree, nobody else would've offered him even close to the full MLE.  

You could've thrown the MLE at a guy like Jarrett Jack instead and really added an impact player capable of backing up Wall, playing sixth man, and even coming into the starting lineup if Beal or Wall is injured - as is too often the case.  To throw it all on a player who is, frankly, redundant at this point doesn't make sense. 

The players we added in the draft gave the team LEVERAGE in negotiating this contract.  Nobody was going to offer him a starting role.  Nobody was going to offer him $5 million a year.  If you were CONVINCED that he was the ideal tutor for Porter, then make it a two year, $10 million deal.  Look at how badly Boston wants out of Courtney Lee's contract.  It's almost the same exact deal.  We didn't bend on the annual salary.  We didn't bend on the contract duration.  Grunfeld folded faster than Superman on laundry day. 

In today's NBA, cap management is literally half the job of a good GM.  The mantra is always the right player at the right price.  If the price isn't right, you have to move on and find somebody else who can fit the role.  

If you're as deathly afraid of the luxury tax as Leonsis is, it becomes doubly important to mind the cap.  He failed to do so here and I've little doubt it'll come back to haunt us, no matter how likable Webster may be.

At the deadline if we're LUCKY.  Otherwise, there's little choice but to wait it out and see what free agent we can grossly overpay next summer.

Meth - when you factor in the partially guaranteed 4th year, Martell's contract is comparable to what Chase Budinger got. On top of it all, if we lost Webster and had to fill his spot with someone like Budinger, we wouldn't hear the end of it. Yes, it's a lot of money, but it seems to be the going rate for shooters in this 2013 offseason. We just have to hope that Martell can keep his health. The numbers (last season) don't lie. He was one of the best marksmen in the league.

Going forward, there is no doubt that Ariza is moved for some front court help.

*edit*

Not sure if he signed it, or if it was just an offer....but Kyle Korver and the Bucks. 3 years/20 mil

Last edited:
So it was a Stability, Culture and Emotional move...But the fact is that you overpaid for a guy who had his best year in his contract year when there are always tons of those types of guys for cheap. And you just drafted a rookie at the same position while paying another guy a handful of money who does the same thing (even if Ariza is expiring).

You overpaid for a guy at a position where its really unnecessary to overpay for guys. Overpaying for bigs is one thing, overpaying for wings is just a stupid thing to do in this league.

So it was a Stability, Culture and Emotional move...But the fact is that you overpaid for a guy who had his best year in his contract year when there are always tons of those types of guys for cheap. And you just drafted a rookie at the same position while paying another guy a handful of money who does the same thing (even if Ariza is expiring).

You overpaid for a guy at a position where its really unnecessary to overpay for guys. Overpaying for bigs is one thing, overpaying for wings is just a stupid thing to do in this league.

Look around the league at what guys like Budinger, Korver, Redick, Martin, etc. are earning. Webster got the going rate, IMO. Yes, it is overpaying, but it's just the way the NBA offseason is shaping up. If you can shoot, you're gonna get your $. Period.

Otto will be starting before the season is over. I have no doubt. Martell, being a good company guy, will easily slide into the 6th man role when the time is right.

Time will tell if this move will pay off. That's probably the best way to put it.

Last edited:
Those other guys have been producing for years whereas Webster has had one productive season in a contract year.

Those other guys have been producing for years whereas Webster has had one productive season in a contract year.

Which is true...however, I think Martell's success last year was directly tied into his health.

*edit*

Zach Lowe:

The Wizards re-sign Martell Webster for four years and $22 million

As is the case with Minnesota and Budinger, the Wizards are shelling out some heavy cash for a guy with a fairly limited track record as a long-range ace. Budinger shot about 32 percent from 3-point range, well below the league’s average, in two of his four seasons (including last season’s nearly irrelevant injury-plagued campaign), and Webster has missed giant chunks of three of his eight seasons in the league.

But if you’re going to argue the league should value 3-and-D guys more highly — and I have — then you can’t slam this deal, even if Webster probably tops out as a slightly above-average defender. He doesn’t quite have the bulk to defend the league’s behemoth wings, he can have some quickness issues against 2-guards, and you can spot him being inattentive away from the ball. But he manages fine on a night-to-night basis, and he can play either wing position (though he’s played mostly small forward in the NBA). Almost every core Wiz lineup featuring Webster at small forward (i.e., lineups that did not include the Garrett Temples of the world) had a positive scoring margin, and the Wizards blew the league away with John Wall, Bradley Beal, and Webster on the floor together. The Wiz want to make the playoffs, and Webster will help while allowing the Wiz to ease Otto Porter into the NBA. This might be an overpay, with Beal and Porter looming as the team’s future core, but if Webster shoots around 40 percent from deep again, it’s not a damaging one — even if the Wiz used the full mid-level exception here.

One other tidbit that probably greased the wheels here, and in the Wiz signing Webster on the cheap last summer: Webster’s agent, Dan Fegan, reps both Wall and Nene.

Link

Last edited:
Meth - when you factor in the partially guaranteed 4th year, Martell's contract is comparable to what Chase Budinger got.
I actually mentioned the Budinger deal specifically because I think he's being overpaid - and yet his contract is shorter and for less total than Webster's.  I assume the deal is structured to provide annual raises, which means we're going to be hit hardest when we'll need the cap room most.  We need to avoid what happened with OKC, where they screwed themselves by failing to adequately prepare for all their star players coming off their rookie deals.  

From a trade standpoint, there IS a difference between 3 years guaranteed and 4 years with only a partial guarantee in the last year.  If this doesn't work out, we're stuck with it and that could really hurt us when we need frontcourt help down the road.  Ariza's not gonna get it done.  

A million extra here and there doesn't sound like the end of the world, but it adds up.  League revenues aren't growing the way they used to and you can't just assume that the cap will rise every year.  Okafor coming off the books is helpful, but starting centers require $10-15 million these days AND John Wall is going to demand a max or near max deal.  Even if you do the right thing and decline Vesely's team option, that still doesn't leave you with a tremendous amount of money left over to improve.  

Even if the fourth year of the deal isn't guaranteed, You still have to pay Beal in the summer of 2016.  Yes, Nene finally comes off the books then, but he has to be replaced, too, and THAT won't be cheap.  

Two years with a partial guarantee on a third for the same money I could live with.  Four years at $4 million per year I could live with.  Four years at $5+?  For a guy who ISN'T your sixth man and you've just relegated to a utility role?  Ouch.  What happens if Rice pans out? 

Remember, too, that Webster's struggled with injuries over the course of his career as well.  It just feels like we based this entire deal off of a healthy, contract year with starter minutes, and that's NOT what we're going to get moving forward.
Going forward, there is no doubt that Ariza is moved for some front court help.

*edit*

Not sure if he signed it, or if it was just an offer....but Kyle Korver and the Bucks. 3 years/20 mil
Who?  

An expiring contract usually nets you one thing:  a bad contract from a team in need of cap relief.  Okafor AND Ariza will probably get you somebody like Carlos Boozer or David Lee.  No thanks.  

I'd hang on to the potential cap space.  Next year, you've got a number of big men who will be restricted free agents:  Greg Monroe, Larry Sanders, and DMC, for example, whom you might want to sign to an offer sheet.  Odds are their teams will match any offer, but you never know what might happen in the draft.  Priorities can change and trading for them NOW means you won't get value and you're committing to a player who could get injured, Bynum style, etc. and/or you might not want to match offers for next summer.  You could also go out and get Gortat this summer if Okafor walks.  

The only big man you could likely swing for Ariza alone would be Asik - and that's a very risky move.  He's only making $5.5 million this year, but Houston signed him to the contractual equivalent of a subprime mortgage.  His salary explodes to $14 million next year.  Houston wouldn't make that deal unless they strike out this summer and move to plan B and need to shed salary for 2014's free agent class.

If the Wizards can prove they're an up and coming team by making a little noise in the playoffs this year, like the Warriors did, then suddenly Washington becomes an attractive destination for once - and just when Okafor AND Ariza come off the books (and we can theoretically dump Vesely, Seraphin, Booker, and Singleton if necessary).  I would not squander that opportunity by going for a third-rate big man today. 

I actually mentioned the Budinger deal specifically because I think he's being overpaid - and yet his contract is shorter and for less total than Webster's.  I assume the deal is structured to provide annual raises, which means we're going to be hit hardest when we'll need the cap room most.  We need to avoid what happened with OKC, where they screwed themselves by failing to adequately prepare for all their star players coming off their rookie deals.  

From a trade standpoint, there IS a difference between 3 years guaranteed and 4 years with only a partial guarantee in the last year.  If this doesn't work out, we're stuck with it and that could really hurt us when we need frontcourt help down the road.  Ariza's not gonna get it done.  

A million extra here and there doesn't sound like the end of the world, but it adds up.  League revenues aren't growing the way they used to and you can't just assume that the cap will rise every year.  Okafor coming off the books is helpful, but starting centers require $10-15 million these days AND John Wall is going to demand a max or near max deal.  Even if you do the right thing and decline Vesely's team option, that still doesn't leave you with a tremendous amount of money left over to improve.  

Even if the fourth year of the deal isn't guaranteed, You still have to pay Beal in the summer of 2016.  Yes, Nene finally comes off the books then, but he has to be replaced, too, and THAT won't be cheap.  

Two years with a partial guarantee on a third for the same money I could live with.  Four years at $4 million per year I could live with.  Four years at $5+?  For a guy who ISN'T your sixth man and you've just relegated to a utility role?  Ouch.  What happens if Rice pans out? 

Remember, too, that Webster's struggled with injuries over the course of his career as well.  It just feels like we based this entire deal off of a healthy, contract year with starter minutes, and that's NOT what we're going to get moving forward.

Who?  

An expiring contract usually nets you one thing:  a bad contract from a team in need of cap relief.  Okafor AND Ariza will probably get you somebody like Carlos Boozer or David Lee.  No thanks.  

I'd hang on to the potential cap space.  Next year, you've got a number of big men who will be restricted free agents:  Greg Monroe, Larry Sanders, and DMC, for example, whom you might want to sign to an offer sheet.  Odds are their teams will match any offer, but you never know what might happen in the draft.  Priorities can change and trading for them NOW means you won't get value and you're committing to a player who could get injured, Bynum style, etc. and/or you might not want to match offers for next summer.  You could also go out and get Gortat this summer if Okafor walks.  

The only big man you could likely swing for Ariza alone would be Asik - and that's a very risky move.  He's only making $5.5 million this year, but Houston signed him to the contractual equivalent of a subprime mortgage.  His salary explodes to $14 million next year.  Houston wouldn't make that deal unless they strike out this summer and move to plan B and need to shed salary for 2014's free agent class.

If the Wizards can prove they're an up and coming team by making a little noise in the playoffs this year, like the Warriors did, then suddenly Washington becomes an attractive destination for once - and just when Okafor AND Ariza come off the books (and we can theoretically dump Vesely, Seraphin, Booker, and Singleton if necessary).  I would not squander that opportunity by going for a third-rate big man today. 

Great points all around.

The jury is going to be out on the Webster deal, mostly because of his health. There is really nothing you can do about injuries, but if he can build off of what we saw this year, we'll be getting our money's worth out of that deal. I'm not too concerned with the contract given to Martell.

Also, I didn't include Okafor in the expiring conversation because he's exactly the type of player I can see the wizards giving another contract once the original one expires. A smart GM would let him walk and try to sign one of the players you named in free agency, but we still have EG at the helm, so I just don't know what's going to happen.

I'd be VERY interested in Asik. He's one of the better defensive bigs in the NBA and would fit in nicely here in DC.

This is a huge year for the Wizards. They need to prove that they can make noise in the East and actually be in contention for a playoff spot.

*I saw an idea being kicked around twitter....how about an alternate uni? Not some crazy gold/black color scheme like we saw a few years ago...but much like how Portland has the "Rip City" unis, wouldn't it be cool to have a red/white get up (based around DC's flag) that had "The District" on the front?

Just saw that Korver got 4 years/$24 mil. So the Martell deal is whatever. And I actually really like him as a person and player, I think he will be a good locker room presence for this young team.

I'm definitely optimistic about this season, barring our bad luck with injuries. Hoping for a top 6 seed in the playoffs. The East will be atrocious this year, so many teams are gonna be tanking that there will probably be multiple sub .500 teams in the playoffs (because someone has to make it, right? :lol: )

I still hope we can manage some type of deal involving Ariza to get frontcourt depth. If not now then maybe during the season. Otherwise we'll just be praying for the ticking timebomb that is Nene not to explode and derail this team yet again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom