What did you do when you felt college wasnt for you?

^word
Maybe getting involved on campus will help me. Or changing my major.
I just want a well paying job.

Reviving this thread since I don't want to start a new one.

I'll try and keep this as short as possible. I dropped out of community college because I thought it wasn't for me, I wasn't focused, always wanted to go out have fun and party, not passing or barely getting any classes. And I was paying for it all out of my pocket...never bothered with financial aid or a counselor. Did the whole retail job gig and was not feeling it and tried to get into a trade (electrician) but it looks unlikely because the union I'm trying is very competitive and I am not high on the eligibility list for apprenticeship. 

Now I've thought about it and I realize I should go back and put an effort because I don't know what else to do in life..no military.

My question to all of you that doing/did the college thing and got your degree is how you guys stayed motivated and focused, balancing a job with classes? I don't want to be at a community college for six years. I want to get my 60 credits and transfer to get a bachelors. I want to get serious. BTW I am 24 years old.   

Reviving this thread since I don't want to start a new one.

I'll try and keep this as short as possible. I dropped out of community college because I thought it wasn't for me, I wasn't focused, always wanted to go out have fun and party, not passing or barely getting any classes. And I was paying for it all out of my pocket...never bothered with financial aid or a counselor. Did the whole retail job gig and was not feeling it and tried to get into a trade (electrician) but it looks unlikely because the union I'm trying is very competitive and I am not high on the eligibility list for apprenticeship. 

Now I've thought about it and I realize I should go back and put an effort because I don't know what else to do in life..no military.

My question to all of you that doing/did the college thing and got your degree is how you guys stayed motivated and focused, balancing a job with classes? I don't want to be at a community college for six years. I want to get my 60 credits and transfer to get a bachelors. I want to get serious. BTW I am 24 years old.   
Which union did you apply for was it local 6? I'm just going off of your location

I'm 22, in my 10th semester of school (transfer) majoring in finance and hopefully graduating next winter. It sucks bro, it really does. I'm ready to just hang the towel, but that's not me. Don't quit, do your ****, and it'll be over before you know it. Just think about this, many people will kill to be in your position. College opens doors for you, that would've remained locked otherwise.

Last edited:
Im 1 semester in and i feel its a waste of time but im just gonna do this for now and hope i eventually enjoy it.

If not ive really been interested in cullinary school.

Or ill become at ups man at 23. :smokin

Which union did you apply for was it local 6? I'm just going off of your location
Yea Local 6 in SF. People say I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket and go apply for other apprenticeships and other unions but there is still the fact that I may not get in or even the waiting period which can be up to 2 years to get called off the eligibility list. Might as well go back to community college, focus and discipline myself to pass my classes and transfer.

Stay on course man..As Eric Thomas would say, "You already in pain, You already hurt, get a reward from it...Don't cry to quit, cry to keep going.." 
pimp.gif

Yea Local 6 in SF. People say I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket and go apply for other apprenticeships and other unions but there is still the fact that I may not get in or even the waiting period which can be up to 2 years to get called off the eligibility list. Might as well go back to community college, focus and discipline myself to pass my classes and transfer.
Local 595 is gonna take applications on march 28 930-1130am and 130-400pm. 

I wouldnt just apply to one apply all over and even if you don't get in, go back to school in the mean time. Also most apprenticeships have dates to apply for other apprenticeships so you can do all the ones in the bay area

Last edited:
Local pipefitter here in socal

Waiting for my shot, attending CC and apprenticeship school for now while working a crummy gig

Not to derail but what do you guys think about working a little and saving some money up and then going to college because I don't even know if I want to go right after I graduate.

Not to derail but what do you guys think about working a little and saving some money up and then going to college because I don't even know if I want to go right after I graduate.

You won't save money up and you'll never go back as soon as you get some free time and get used to working. Just ride it out.

Last edited:
Stay strong. Frosh year was great but I felt the same way briefly when I was a soph. Stuck w/ it, the next two years were poppin (trust me breh you do not want to miss out on the senior year experience) & I graduated. Don't throw away all the time & money you've already invested

Any of you did full time work and full time school (12 or more credits)? I'm thinking about it when I go back since my job is really easy and laid back. My social life will go down but its my fault I wanted to do all my partying in my early years starting college...probably the reason I was never focused and always put having fun before my college work.

OP... assuming getting a degree (or going to college) isn't for you, which is completely fine. I have two words for you: MEDICAL FIELD.

Someone already mentioned it earlier, try a trade school. Depending on the field, you could be in school for a max of 2 years. Any "technician" training would be a good start.

Hope this helps.

quick story:
my mother was an administrative assistant. my pops owned-operated his own 18-wheeler. soon as i got outta hs, i did the whole community college thing. imo, the biggest waste of 2 years of my life. i can't blame my parents for it, but had she known about trade schools/medical field i DEFINITELY would've been down another road at this point. I can't blame her for not knowing.

my cousin started RT (Respiratory Tech) school not long before I graduated hs. She's just accepted a position as the dept. manager at her hospital. So she's not even doing her "rounds" anymore... she's making right under $50/hr or so after starting in the mid-20's.

Just some food for thought...

Any of you did full time work and full time school (12 or more credits)? I'm thinking about it when I go back since my job is really easy and laid back. My social life will go down but its my fault I wanted to do all my partying in my early years starting college...probably the reason I was never focused and always put having fun before my college work.

Bro... I had a full time (40hr) AND part time job (12-18hrs) and was a full time student.

It was tough, but I had to do what I had to do. Parents filed for bankruptcy, no income for school, fafsa wasn't helping at that time.

But guess what, my degree feels that much more earned!

I am a full-time student with a full-time job.  I am actually graduating this May, and it feels great!  I started my journey back to school at 28, and I'm 32 right now.  I thought I was happy just getting any accounting clerk job (AP and AR) that pays more than the minimum wage, but I ended up feeling stuck.  The only way for me to advance in my chosen career was to get a degree and become a CPA.  With my graduation getting closer, I can already see doors of opportunities opening in front of me.  To top it off, I was able to land a job at one of the Big 4 this coming fall using the university's career center.  Looking back, I'm glad that I stuck with going to school and working full-time.  I do not want to wake up one day and regret not going to college.   

Back
Top Bottom