What do you think human purpose is?

Originally Posted by heatking

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

stack paper

this^

make as much money as you can, while you can
There are plenty of millionaires in therapy because they feel some sort of emptiness in life.
That %#+* is not the end all be all. 

We're here to create experiences and life, and to continue adding to the infinite abyss of knowledge. However, our current purpose is a bit twisted and similar to that Keanu Reeves movie where he has to choose the two pills. Except robots aren't in control.

we don't serve a purpose.

too many people are too scared to realize their own insignificance. i say embrace it and just enjoy the ride.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Originally Posted by solegit08til

Everything does not need a purpose.
Question.
What tangible item do we know of that exists in life...does NOT serve a purpose? 
DVD rewinders....
laugh.gif

seriously though, I get what you're saying,  pretty much everything that exists in nature is somehow used by someone/something else.

Aliens made us. When we die they take us to the next planet. Thats where we live. Than we move on and on.

in my opinion...

the only people who ask for forgiveness from a higher being, have done something wrong and are desperate...
the only people who ask for direction in life from a higher being, are lost and lonely...
the only people who seek meaning in life from a higher being, have no purpose or motivation...

basically I can't stand people who mess up in life and then "find god" and all is forgiven...

again, just my opinion

Originally Posted by solegit08til

Everything does not need a purpose.
Question.
What tangible item do we know of that exists in life...does NOT serve a purpose? 
Well as far as tangible items go, 99.9999% of the time, they end up serving a purpose to somebody. 
My point was that all natural things do not need a purpose. 

Yes, a tree has many uses in society, but let that tree tree, and it will serve no purpose. 

Humans designated the purpose of a tree to be a provider of oxygen and resources to other living things, but if they weren't there, then what would the trees purpose be? Would the tree have even evolved? 

All nature's children balance each other out, that is essentially their purpose. 

We came along and $$#! on that system, raping nature in the process of building the world we live in today.

We are a disease, a cancer, an unhealthy intruder to mother earth. 

Will we kill her? Or will her immune system cure her of the sickness that we are?

Or maybe we're the type of fast evolving disease that will eventually destroy itself. 

Only time will tell.

However, It's the non tangible that has the most potential for meaning and yet no meaning at all in some senses. 

The universe, life, the mind, things of that nature. 

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

in my opinion...

the only people who ask for forgiveness from a higher being, have done something wrong and are desperate...
the only people who ask for direction in life from a higher being, are lost and lonely...
the only people who seek meaning in life from a higher being, have no purpose or motivation...

basically I can't stand people who mess up in life and then "find god" and all is forgiven...

again, just my opinion
True dat playa.

Each and every one of us needs to find our own purpose. The purpose of life is to have a life of purpose.

My purpose of being can be just as valid and substantial to this life herein now than a purpose based on the belief of some institutionalized and organized religion which people were conditioned to believe in and brainwashed to believe in. I have done extensive reflection and have come to believe in the essence of being as a human to live life just as it is. Why do you think this purpose needs to have some divine aspect or explanation to it? Do all species in this planet have that same purpose of being here on Earth to serve God or Gods and do they believe that there is an Afterlife? As I see it, my life is no more worth than the reason why the ant walking on the ground next to me exists. As the most evolved species, we have become so self-absorbed to think that this Earth was built for us to live in it and that there must be some divine reason we are here. How about the dinosaurs and others creatures who lived before us for BILLIONS of years? Does their purpose have any substantial valid reasoning to some aspect related to the divine? But, also as humans, we have become more advanced in thinking and evolved to the point we have rational thinking and emotional thinking. This is why we are biologically wired to have faith, to serve to answer our fears of the unknown and was originally a way to help us deal with functions in society. Some want to believe in a Higher Power to substantiate their existence. Some others need to look externally to depend on a Force that is greater than humans that can control the universe. That is why they always look to the mystique...That magic that is beyond our understanding to explain the unexplained. How I see it, why base my faith on a bunch of men with agendas preaching that God spoke to them and that they know the ultimate truth. How are they anymore specialized in knowing about this life more than me?

In a way, I think it takes away from the essence of being in touch completely with yourself. If only most of us looked from within for that awakening. This is my reply to whomever asks me that question of what I think is my purpose whenever I tell them I am Agnostic. Yes, I do think I have a purpose...It is to conquer myself. That is the biggest battle we face each and everyday. I do not care to know how this world came to be. Doesn't matter. It is irrelevant. My purpose to live as best as I can to reach that freedom. That is a powerful struggle from within that no one or even a divine can help me with, and I only have myself to depend on. In the end, we all leave this world alone...and I will depend on no one but myself to attain the ultimate inner peace to reach self-fulfillment and freedom. That is my purpose. To find the answers, it is not out there in some divine power beyond the stars, it is right there within you.

OP, your question is the most common question asked today besides "what time is it?"

Our "purpose" is to survive. But technology and human advancement has skewed this to make us believe we have some celestial motive. Hence, why it is so commonly asked.

You think the first humans asked themselves, what is our purpose? Or did they just try to find their shelter/water/next meal?

Originally Posted by heatking

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

stack paper

this^

make as much money as you can, while you can
There are plenty of millionaires in therapy because they feel some sort of emptiness in life.
That %#+* is not the end all be all. 
I'm sure there are plenty of people in therapy regardless of what they make. How would you even know this anyway? What are your sources? 

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

Each and every one of us needs to find our own purpose. The purpose of life is to have a life of purpose.

The statement "the purpose of life is to have a life of purpose" is absolutely meaningless, because you're defining something in terms of itself. It's like you asking me what a dog is, and me telling you that a dog is a dog. I can go on as long as I want, by saying "a dog is a dog, which is a dog, which is a dog, which is a dog, etc." I haven't really said anything useful though.

If something has a purpose it means there is some desired result you should try to achieve. So by definition, the purpose of life is to have a life of purpose, because the purpose of anything is to find that purpose.

So when you say "the purpose of life is to have a life of purpose, and that purpose is conquering myself", that's equivalent to saying "the purpose of life is conquering myself". If everyone has a different purpose in life, you get a bunch of statements like "the purpose of life is X", "the purpose of life is Y", "the purpose of life is Z", etc. where X,Y,and Z are all different. But then you have a contradiction, so either you conclude that life has multiple purposes, or your initial statement that "the purpose of life is to have a life of purpose" is wrong.

All you can really say is that, in life, you would like to conquer yourself.

Genesis 1:28
King James Version (KJV)

28And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

I think this is our purpose.

Creating machines is another purpose. One day this world will be inhabited by robots with artificial intelligence. Who is going to create that?

Originally Posted by Beermann2

Genesis 1:28
King James Version (KJV)

28And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

I think this is our purpose.

Its coming from the king james version it's irrelevant but then again anything said by humans is irrelevant w/out proof
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by il prescelto

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

The statement "the purpose of life is to have a life of purpose" is absolutely meaningless, because you're defining something in terms of itself. It's like you asking me what a dog is, and me telling you that a dog is a dog. I can go on as long as I want, by saying "a dog is a dog, which is a dog, which is a dog, which is a dog, etc." I haven't really said anything useful though.

If something has a purpose it means there is some desired result you should try to achieve. So by definition, the purpose of life is to have a life of purpose, because the purpose of anything is to find that purpose.

So when you say "the purpose of life is to have a life of purpose, and that purpose is conquering myself", that's equivalent to saying "the purpose of life is conquering myself". If everyone has a different purpose in life, you get a bunch of statements like "the purpose of life is X", "the purpose of life is Y", "the purpose of life is Z", etc. where X,Y,and Z are all different. But then you have a contradiction, so either you conclude that life has multiple purposes, or your initial statement that "the purpose of life is to have a life of purpose" is wrong.

All you can really say is that, in life, you would like to conquer yourself.

Makes sense to me. 
That statement basically means that the purpose of life is to lead a life of purpose - and that each depends on each individual to find their purpose - whether it is one thing or many. Doesn't just have to be in the singular form. Hence, to each and every individual, you come to find that purpose on your own for what it is for you, whether it is a general motto or more personal and direct to your own circumstances. Once you discover that purpose, then its means is to give life meaning. Hence, as for my purpose, I take the general motto is just to live life and conquer the self. 

i honestly think about this every single night before i go to sleep. still haven't found any sort of Meaningful answer/idea, emphasis on meaningful. .le sighhh

Back
Top Bottom