What Is A "SNEAKERHEAD"

Is there a brain in the sneaker? so is there a brain in the so called sneaker head?

Originally Posted by SoCalKid

I am a sneaker enthusiast. I love shoes. I try to buy what i like. I wear all my shoes.

Sneakerhead? It has to be a cool term for people that like shoes.

Originally Posted by rillo561

Originally Posted by Magic1978

A website with pretty good prices you can buy sneakers from

This.

Can't stand the term.

Originally Posted by Nowitzness41

Basically a follower- none of us that have actually been around for a long time and before websites and all this crap actually would call themselves a "sneakerhead". Thats a lame term for guys that hae bought into the hype (IMO). People ask me that a lot these days since its popular now and they know Ive always got on different shoes and take good care of them- and I just look at them funny and laugh, and say no- not me. Not clowning you self-dubbed sneakerheads, but that crap is a fad to me

Sums it up for me. Don't call me that %$^& 
laugh.gif

FutureDHughes wrote:
TheprinceofDE wrote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Hype

are you serious that's you in you're avatar. If so you look like Rupaul Lil sis, one fugly chick or should i say dude.
roll.gif
laugh.gif
 That chick is badder then anything you will ever touch look her up scrub

C'mon son!
Her name is Honey Cocaine and she is very pretty.

You must not know.

laugh.gif

I don't want to know,  If you consider a bony dude with a wig bad, then hands down you're a batty man, princess. 

Originally Posted by Prada G

It's that time of the month where the flood gates of moronville are opened.
Welcome new members.
laugh.gif

$!#+ ain't that hard man. Its just collecting sneakers. Somewhere along the way dudes made this $!#+ more that what it really is. 

Once upon a time, there were a select group of people who had a special interest in collecting sneakers. One day someone thought it would be cool (which in theory it was) to give that group a nickname. 

Thus the "sneaker head" was born. 

It doesn't matter what you wear. It can be Chucks, vans, Jordans, Adidas, or Reeboks. $!#+ doesn't make a difference. Just as long as you have a LOVE for kicks. They don't have to be OG, exclusive, rare, or any or random $!#+. 

But then along the way, people began to make the culture more public and popular, and now we're in the big $!#+ hole we're in now. 

Originally Posted by John Mayer

the first rule of sneakerhead...

You joke but it's ABSOLUTELY the truth.
Originally Posted by smoove

Originally Posted by SOSAIII

Good comments in here,

It started at suede pumas for me & went through Top Tens, Forums, then jordans came out boom! Then Eleases, didadora, fila, reebok, Lottos, le coque sportif, troops (for those that remember), then flight series, air maxes, BO's, then huaraches, & I've had 90% of all of them even Grant Hill Filas, Nomo's, Griffeys, Frank Thomas, 

All of these & I dont have any of them. I got about 30-40 pairs of shoes (vans to Concords) & 1 DS double up of AM90's but I wear all of them. 

I think of the retros like old flames when I was younger. So when I see that bad beaach from campus & highschool who is still as attractive as the day I first saw her I go online & read about her untill the day shes ready for me to pick her up by any means necessary, like one of a few connects, or over paying online. When you have to have her & you wake up & shes on your mind. That being said I have to admit that the love for the J's is fading with amount of hype & fakes, & people that are in it to make a $100. 

I know I got carried away, I love kicks. I dont like the term, & I do not call myself a sneakerhead. If I had to name a sneakerhead, I would say someone like Clark Kent, he is so up on kicks he even has his own for just that reason.

So mabye thats it ...someone who is up on kicks all the time.

We must be around the same age. Suede Pumas-check. Top Tens-check. diadora-check. fila-check. Reebok Pumps-check. Shelltoes-check. Lottos (are you kidding me) check. le coque sportif-check. Flight series-check. Grant Hill Filas-Check. Ran into my college roommate last year. 1st thing he asked was "Do you still keep all your shoes organized in boxes?". Yep. Then "You still clean 'em after every wear". Yep. That's what it's about. Peace.
What people refer to as "sneakerheads" is somewhat of a misnomer (kinda like how "deadstock" is applied to unworn shoes).  I think of myself as more of an O.G. than a sneakerhead.

Not to go all old school vs. new school but growing up in the 90s, as much as a shock it may seem to people these days, Jordan was top of the line but definitely wasn't the huge dominant lead it is now on some iPad vs. the world steez.  We would watch the kid shows where they competed (like Legends of the Hidden Temple) & some of the prizes would be British Knights.  BKs back then were like SBs in early 2000s.

Larry Johnson and Kevin Johnson were the faces of Converse & if you had some Cons with React Juice for the cushioning setup, chances are you probably had some game.  InstaPump shoes from Reebok were total gimmicks that added no performance value but were still highly sought out.  Fila, for a very brief period, definitely was giving Nike/Jordan a run for their money with Grant Hill's signature series.  And for poor folks like me, all the Nike flight shoes with the massive, OD huge tongues were what's up but we settled for the cheap entry level models without Vis-Air because that was better than copping some Jordache or the Xavier McDaniel kicks at Weiner's.

I could go on a whole tangent about the Flight Huarache so I'll just summarize & say it was legendary.  People are still in love with the AM '95 but fail to realize that at the time the AM '93 and '94 were flippin heaters. And I think one of the biggest signs of being an OG is that 1a. We remember signature Jordans collecting dust very often at retailers and 1b. It was NOT cool to wear old shoes, even if brand new.  (The two of these go hand in hand).  When the 12s were being discounted on Eastbay for $99.99 they weren't moving because we all knew that the 13s were coming out.

I say all this in reference to the 90s because that's my personal reference point but ANYBODY can be an OG.  It's all about a passion for the sneaks and the culture surrounding them.  Can you look back at your purchases and give a backstory and history to it?  If not, you're not a snekerhead or OG (although I must stress that there's nothing wrong with that, just like everyone ain't a serious hooper or some people are casual music fans).  I just know for me personally, it's always been a little more than the shoes themselves, but more like a continuous time capsule that makes me feel happy to think about times past. 

Originally Posted by heatking

someone who has a love/passion for sneakers.

This
I've been buying and collecting kicks since the beginning of high school once 2K came around. Since then my love and devotion for shoes has grown. Although I have a more J's than Nike's, I've kind of stepped back because now at my age certain things have become priorities in life. But I'll always have shoes for days and I know retro's and J's aren't going anywhere.

Us "sneakerheads" will be around and will develop within time. But honestly I laugh a little inside when people just start buying shoes recently for every release and consider themselves sneakerheads. It is what it is....
laugh.gif

Lol a sneakerhead is a truant high school or college drop out, that easily folds, easily manipulated, easily taken advantage-of, that has no self-control or self-respect, that goes to his mommy & daddy whenever he's in need of financial assistance. Who bends over and takes it in the rear from the corporate companies he so surely loyal to. And after all that remains a materialistic consumer idiot. That's a sneakerhead.

Hoarding sneakers is not a hobby, its a compulsive problem. Realize it.

I post my real opinions now, because I've stopped caring a long time ago.

Originally Posted by BaltimoreGutta

This.

Number of sneakers or what sneakers you have doesn't mean much to me since I buy only what I like. Can't say the same about the majority of people at sneaker releases.

THISSSSSSSS

I d say someone that have tons of pairs qualifies. also someone thats not buying for hype. Someone that does whatever it takes to obtain the sneaker. Finally someone that been collecting for 5+years and has a variety of kicks

Maybe a sneakerhead is someone addicted to kicks like crack is to crackheads. Idk, who cares! Love em, buy em, wear em.

Originally Posted by airdhazzal

Lol a sneakerhead is a truant high school or college drop out, that easily folds, easily manipulated, easily taken advantage-of, that has no self-control or self-respect, that goes to his mommy & daddy whenever he's in need of financial assistance. Who bends over and takes it in the rear from the corporate companies he so surely loyal to. And after all that remains a materialistic consumer idiot. That's a sneakerhead.

im confused, you seem to really hate materialism and sneaker collecting, why are you spending time on a sneaker collecting forum?

They should remove all other replies including mine because what heatking wrote pretty much sums it all up

Someone who logs into message boards and/or sneaker sites every day to catch up on the latest release info, colorways, marketplace, etc.

Honestly, if you know about shoes releasing months ahead of time, you're a sneakerhead.

You can't wear or buy fakes to be considered one.

A person who likes kicks ,understands aesthetics kicks,Is knowledgeable about kicks and enjoys wearing kicks.I remember when buying multiples and dosing kicks was just have a pair on reserve to wear if the other pair was gonna be worn a lot or might potentially be damaged .I have no problem with th term it's been around for years .At one point in time those who called themselves that weren't ashamed to because there was more of a community feel to being into sneakers you were part of a niche group .I can understand hating it how warped it has become now .

Originally Posted by LBCOL

im confused, you seem to really hate materialism and sneaker collecting, why are you spending time on a sneaker collecting forum?
Eh, so what if I hate materialism. I don't hate shoe collecting, I collect in moderation, 2 to 3 pairs a year max. It doesn't make me an excessive consumer aka materialistic. I'm just not a sneakerhead.

Originally Posted by LBCOL

Eh, so what if I hate materialism. I don't hate shoe collecting, I collect in moderation, 2 to 3 pairs a year max. It doesn't make me an excessive consumer aka materialistic. I'm just not a sneakerhead.

airdhazzal does have some logic lol. Sneaker collecting is taking wayyy too overboard. I love shoes dont get me wrong, but its definately taken a backseat in my life now. A few will understand as you grow. To each their own, but damn JB & Nike got some by the nads. Just my thoughts, so bash me, but my opinion wont change.

Back
Top Bottom