What is the big deal about having Nike Air on J's??

I've been coming to this board for a min now and I always hear people complain about J's coming out and not having Nike Air on them and having ajumpman logo instead or something like that. I've even heard people say they aren't getting a shoe becuz it doesn't have it on there. Even in thatthread about ol boi meeting gentry he makes a point to ask him about nike air coming back for future j's...I've been a collector of J's for 7 or 8years and I never understood it. To me..as long as the retro looks pretty much the same as far as the color/design go compared to the og i'm going tocop... I guess i understand it's nice to have them as close to the og's as possible (in some peoples minds) but still...could someone explain this tome??

I remember Mike playing in shoes that said Nike Air. The shoes were designed to have Nike Air on the back. It looks better.... I could go on and on, but mainlyit's a preference.

It's the whole history behind the shoe. Having something close to the original look and feel of a shoe brings back more nostalgic feelings than you think.It's not so much that "Nike Air" looks better, it's that people want things the way they remembered it. Why "retro" something ifit's not going to be the same??

I mean, I understand having minor differences to distinguish between originals and remakes, but why does it have to be something as significant as changing thelogo? Why not change the insole? Or the placement of the size tag?

The sad part is that many of us have accepted the fact that what's coming out is the best we're going to get. And for the "loyal" Brandenthusiasts, it's hard to quit a company that we've all grown to love....But more and more, we're realizing the company is quitting us. Thehigher-ups say they're "respecting" the OG collectors? How so? By changing what we grew accustomed to? By no longer being the trend setter, butrather the trend follower?

It's an argument that will go on till they decide to change it back. We could care less about retro + models. Go ahead and slap a Jumpman on those. As faras original colors go....We deserve to have them made the way they were intended.

^I couldn't have said it better ijapino.

Anyways like they always say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Originally Posted by HOVKid

What's the big deal with having the horse on a Ferarri???

How's that comparision even the same??

I mean i'm not a big ferarri guy by any means..but I'm guessing they don't take ferarri's that came out in maybe 91 or 92 and re releasethem...

Originally Posted by William Rivera 3

Sometimes NikeAir does look better., especially on the blk/red 4's. Have u seen them with the Jumpman?
during the allstar game in vegas JB had them on display. i believe the common response was "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

It looks better but even I don't really have an issue with shoes missing it (check username)

As it was said above me, some models just look better with the nike air on them.

It really comes down to just wanting the shoe exactly the way it was originally produced. Nike Air was on them when the first came out... why shouldn't itbe on the Retro's then?

Also, slapping a Jumpman everywhere possible is kinda what JB's image is like now (at least to members of NT). With all the hype new colorways and clothingthat matches, you can just see that the brand is just overproducing itself in a way. People want it to go back to the way it was (when Nike was controllingit). Nike seemed to moderate it a little... so as to avoid over-hyping.

I don't know, but that's what the Nike Air means to me. A time when it wasn't just about the Jumpman.

Originally Posted by BlowDaWhistle

Originally Posted by HOVKid

What's the big deal with having the horse on a Ferarri???

How's that comparision even the same??

I mean i'm not a big ferarri guy by any means..but I'm guessing they don't take ferarri's that came out in maybe 91 or 92 and re release them...
From someone who supposedly wants to understand or learn something, that's what you choose to comment on out of everything posted?
laugh.gif

I understand the points being made here and all, but if I can plainly identify what any pair of retro Air Jordans are then that's the most important aspectof a retro. "Nike Air" is a very novel and historic logo in general, especially to Jordan collectors but still if I can still cop a pair of retrosand plainly identify what they are (with or without a Jumpman) I am content with that. It's not like there's a written rule that says Jordan Brand hasto retro older models anyways so even though it would be great to have them as close to the OG's I'm still content with the fact JB chooses to retro atall. Quality to me is the biggest issue not necessarilly "Nike Air".

It's the whole history behind the shoe. Having something close to the original look and feel of a shoe brings back more nostalgic feelings than you think. It's not so much that "Nike Air" looks better, it's that people want things the way they remembered it. Why "retro" something if it's not going to be the same??

And there it is.

Most ppl just want the same exact thing they had the first time around. Its part of what made you fall in love with them.

Young bucks will never understand because you never lived thru that era..or ever seen the man himself play in the shoes...Im an OG.. been wearin J's since88 & yea theres no respect to us old school heads/collectors by changing the logo & cheapin the shoe...no respect...Help me understand why does Nikeretro other shoes & look exactly like how they did back in the days but can't do it for Jordans?...Correct me if im wrong but don't air force oneslook exacty like how they did back in 82...Or Barkley 180's..89 Flights...87 Air Max??...But Jordans....hell no...Jordan should no longer be its own brand& should just go back to the way it was when it was just plain old NIKE....

nike air on the back of jordans to me is like this. back in the day you had jordans and NIKE AIR two of the best things in one. plus it looks better fills outthe shoe way better than a jumpman.

I'm in favor of 'Nike Air". But i could understand why some people don't think it's a big deal. For example, some people like white cementIV's for other reasons than just the Logo in the back. Some people can't afford the OG/early retro's so they'll take whatever they canafford.Even if it means not having Nike Air on the back.I'll take better quality over "Nike air" anyday.

Back
Top Bottom