What was your starting salary after college?

He's not a salesman, he's the Finance Manager. He's last person you see at the dealer before you hop in your new car and drive off and he's responsible for extracting as much money from you as possible by selling you a bunch of crap you don't need (extended warranty, paint correction, etc.).

It's 100% profit for the dealer which is why they are compensated as well as they are. Naturally, those without a conscience do better in this position than those with one (same goes for a lot of sales positions).
The shade was executed flawlessly.

+1 for you sir.

Graduated in Dec 2010, 27 y.o.

Got hired as an engineer in October 2011: $64K

October 2012: bumped to $76k

Once i pass this PE exam in October: bump to $83k minimum

Can some of you guys touch on how your pay has changed from year to year since graduating college? If it has at all? I'm interested in seeing a 5 year outlook. Can be all with same company or different companies.
Fresh out of college with a BA in CJ, a year ago: $15 per hour, roughly $30K a year

Right now: $20 per hour, roughly $42K a year

July of this year: $26 per hour, roughly $55K a year

Once I'm working for 6 months I can start putting in for that overtime, and thats when the real money comes in.

Graduated with a Compsci and Psych double major at the end of last year.

Getting $15 an hour at a web development company 

Someone tell me this is going to get better 

A suggestion for some is if you dont have a job waiting for you after graduating than stay another semester to boost your GPA and network. Depending on your university.

If you don't see anything else really coming in I suggest you take it. Explore your options with that experience under your belt.
Agreed
A suggestion for some is if you dont have a job waiting for you after graduating than stay another semester to boost your GPA and network. Depending on your university.
This approach is good only if you take full advantage of it, but I feel like if you didn't take advantage of any opportunities (internships/networking/GPA) during your last 4 semesters then 1 extra semester might not make a difference and just adds more student loans. 

Just graduated May '14

Got offer a month before graduation, and will be starting in a few weeks, Starting at 47k, full benefits, relocation, which is pretty good for the cost of living where I will be located.  Not balling by any means but i'll definitely be comfortable for a 23 year old.

Pretty low for my field (Software Engineering/Development), but I goofed in college.  Probably more than most in this thread.  No internships.  Crappy GPA.  Didnt turn around til the latter half of my college career.  Still landed a job before graduation so I'm blessed.  The good thing about this position is not the salary, but the paid learning/certifications and networking oportunities.  After a year, especially with the huge name of this company and the projects this company works on, I will be able to land a gig pretty much anywhere, with whatever salary I want.

Advice:

MAKE A PLAN AND EXECUTE IT.  

Research the market for your major/field and find out what specific skills and experiences most employers are looking for. Start gaining those skills and experiences NOW.  Even if you arent applying yet, its never too early to start looking at job postings.

One of the most important, Have a solid resume that will catch the recruiters eye.  Aot of people dont realize that most resumes wont even make it to the recruiter's desk, especially in this day and age of online application.  There are systems that sift through the applicants' resumes for ones containing specific keywords and skills, and literally throw out the rest.  Know how to work the system and tailor your resume to what the employer is looking for.  Make sure to highlight ALL of your relevant strengths in your resume.  There are professional services, and even people in your school's Career Center, that will spruce up your resume and teach you the ways.  If you need to, USE THEM.

Finally, GRIND and HUSTLE.  If you dont want it bad enough, you probably wont get it.  A common misconception is that just because you have a degree, someone owes you a career.  There are thousands of people that are graduating every semester with the same degrees you have, applying for the same jobs you are.  There will be people out there that want it just as much or more than you, and would probably be willing to do the job for less than you would.  I sent my resume for literally hundreds of positions and only got calls back from FIVE.  Thats what the market is like out here these days.  You may not land the most favorable salary fresh out, but everything is a stepping stone if you play it right.

These are things I had to learn for myself, that I wish I knew alot earlier on.  It takes time to place yourself in a position to acquire a good job/career, so the sooner you start making moves, the better you will be come graduation and after.  Take this advice and you'll be in a much better position in most when it becomes time for the job search. 

Always remember, while you are sitting around waiting and wondering, someone else is out there tryna make moves.

Last edited:
Graduated Dec. 2010 with a BA in Psychology. Family member urged me to apply for any entry level positions at the Kaiser in my area (Nor CA). Did so religiously for about 10 months, all the while making about 11/hr at the local factory outlets. After endless automated rejection letters (close to 200 different positions), finally was called by recruitment to take a PC and typing test for an on-call clerk position. Ended up passing the testing and passed my interview. Was offered the position, starting wage for an on-call (no guarantee of hours) was $21.67 plus $1.00 extra per hour in lieu of benefits. Luckily was hired at the right time, as I worked almost every day that I made myself available. Currently still with the organization, just in a different capacity. I know it's redundant, but networking is key!

Fresh out of college with a BA in CJ, a year ago: $15 per hour, roughly $30K a year
Right now: $20 per hour, roughly $42K a year
July of this year: $26 per hour, roughly $55K a year

Once I'm working for 6 months I can start putting in for that overtime, and thats when the real money comes in.

Corrections?

shimmyhendrix shimmyhendrix congrats to you man. Best post in here in my opinion. With persistence you will land a job before graduation. People out here applying to only 5-10 jobs a week before graduation complaining about not landing a job.
Your gonna be good to go you know what you have to do to see 6 figures go get it man :pimp: .

Such a great thread. So many experiences and so much insight.

Majoring in basically communications. Was originally journalism and then I realized that journalism is a terrible career choice. Didn't leave the communications program but switched to Digital Media Studies with a focus in digital content management. Turns out switching to this major aldo makes it easier for me to graduate sooner :lol:

Anyway my goals right now lie within the fields of marketing or PR. Preferably marketing. I hope to get my mba in Marketing soon after my BA but that tuition tho :stoneface:

Anybody here work in marketing with some insight? I can't do this retail for peanuts no more son

We had a corporate visit about last month. New HR director who came from NY. I usually don't **** with the corporate folks because they don't **** with us, but for whatever reason I started a convo with this dude, and he basically asked me if I wanted to be doing this **** my entire life, and when I told him what I was studying he told me to tell my boss when I graduated and he'd see if he could get me up there.

I hope he wasn't BSing me but I don't think he was

Last edited:
40 K, benefits
BS in Accounting.
told 3 days before graduating.

experience: two work-study on campus jobs, internships for minor league and professional sports teams, sampler at costco
involved on campus
habitat for humanity

I've been applying to jobs since October, and have had 14 phone/ in person interviews. 1 Job offer after all those interviews.
When I got the call back, I have a work/rejections folder count in my email at 51 rejections.

It was tough getting through the year, but you just gotta keep on applying.
You can't wait for a "my uncle's best friend's brother is president of this company" so he'll hook a brotha up.

But you just gotta be persistent, and go onto the next one.
really be confident on your skill set, and DO YOUR research on the company.
it's not only selling that you can work at a company, but also work with the people and culture within the company.
i didn't realize that until the latter half of the interview process which was my flaw.

and it's a tough market out there. so don't feel like you're the only one.
One of good friends BS in Math tried to go the actuary route with no luck. He was working at his dad's office from June grad 2012 and found a position in the beginning 2014.
He's doing Basketball Analytics- basically intense +/- stats with graphs and ish.

Male, 26, Graduated BA in Business Admin working in HR now

Federal Gov in DC

on a GS-5/7/9/11/12 plan

so 35k, 42k, 51k, 63k, 75k

Wasn't exactly balling out the gate but I looked at the big pic. Started from the bottom and hoping to hit 75k in August if my supervisor not hating on me!

Federal Gov in DC

on a GS-5/7/9/11/12 plan

Wasn't exactly balling out the gate but I looked at the big pic. Started from the bottom and hoping to hit 75k in August if my supervisor not hating on me!

I'm the same except I'm 24 right now so I'm in the middle at 51k. Should be where you're at when I'm 26 then I'm getting out of the government. I don't really have an incentive to look for something else at this point before I hit the 12.

Last edited:

Federal Gov in DC

on a GS-5/7/9/11/12 plan

you in the 703? if you don't mind me asking who you work for and how you got the position. i just recently graduated myself

Alexandria side.

Same here lol, once I get my 12 then i'll start to look more seriously. I work for DHS, I started out as a paid (barely) student intern with them, applied, and ended up getting hired over.

Graduated in 07 from a small local university. Worked for the DoD as a government intern all through college and had a fulltime job as a contractor before I had graduated. Salary was 36k if I recall. I work in IT and I'll just say that my current salary is very good :smokin especially for where I live which is outside of the DMV.

Degree don't really matter anymore fellas. Certain fields, sure, but I work with so many intelligent and creative people that have degrees in basketweaving, etc. Spend more time networking/interning while in school than worrying about your grades (should be able to graduate with at least a 3.0 at any school though). The contacts you make can take you a lot of places, and not just early in your career either.

Also, like some other posters said, set goals for yourself, short term and long term, but don't beat yourself up if you don't meet them. Patience is important too because there will be MANY times where things don't go your way even if you deserve it. Take something positive away from those experiences because it will come in handy down the road.

Big 4 out of college and I know for a fact that for the Bay Area market, starting salary was between $52K - $55K for audit. Not much of a bump for cost of living compared to Chicago, NYC, etc. Even comparing SJ to SF, there was no difference in starting salaries. For our NYC counterparts, they were making upper 50's without a MAcc...:x

Big 4 don't pay OT, so that makes sense.

My non-big 4 salary went like this:

2006- $44k + OT
2007 - $49k + OT
2008 - $63 + bonus
2009 - $74 + bonus
2010 - joined a new firm and took a slight decrease back to $62k + OT (not time and a half)
2011 - $73k + OT
2012 - $98k + bonus
2013 - $110k + bonus

Now I'm a part of the Big 4, so we'll see how the comp changes.

For all these people complaining about the job market and how hard it is to find a decent job, have you considered starting your own business?

I wouldn't in this economy. Banks not giving out loans like that and if you don't have a good business plan you will be in even more debt.

Big 4 don't pay OT, so that makes sense.

My non-big 4 salary went like this:

2006- $44k + OT
2007 - $49k + OT
2008 - $63 + bonus
2009 - $74 + bonus
2010 - joined a new firm and took a slight decrease back to $62k + OT (not time and a half)
2011 - $73k + OT
2012 - $98k + bonus
2013 - $110k + bonus

Now I'm a part of the Big 4, so we'll see how the comp changes.

Lazy, who do you work for if you don't mind me asking? I'm with KPMG in SF doing audit.

Back
Top Bottom