whats in a name? VOL....RAVEN symone

i'm not a grad student. i was. earned my masters in '13.

my issue is instead of people looking back at research, why not take action today?

yall out here going in on what she said, but the issue is you guys are using the same insults towards her.

i hate hate hate when people call something "ghetto". like be real what are you insinuating

You can only change the discrimination when you have the power to do so. Black people do not have that power and do not control the institutions that allow this happen. Until then, you have to play the game. When you don't have to depend on anyone for a job and have the assets to do whatever you want, then you can do everything that isn't deemed acceptable by society.

I'm not insulting her. Raven-Symone has made it clear that she wants nothing to do with Black people and probably hates deep down that she is Black. I choose not to waste anytime or energy toward someone like that.

Who called her ghetto? Imbecilic, yeah. But no one's called her ghetto.

You're projecting fam

Last edited:
i hate hate hate when people call something "ghetto". like be real what are you insinuating

As a black man who has lived in impoverished areas who was able to grow up and experience the finer things in life while retaining the principals and life lessons I learned while growing up in said impoverished areas, I have no qualms with anyone of African decent attributing something as "ghetto" because they themselves knows what constitutes as such. Now if you're anything other than black and call something "ghetto" than YOU know what you're insinuating

Who called her ghetto? Imbecilic, yeah. But no one's called her ghetto.

You're projecting fam
read the entire thread. who's projecting. 

stop listening to blink 182 and read a dictionary 

laugh.gif
such a witty rebuttal from someone whose earned a masters degree.
it's not a rebuttal. it's a fact.

@lamekilla  clearly used the term ghetto on page one. which he later explains a couple of posts above.

thus your entire crybaby argument is wrong. that is why i have a master's degree. because i decided to read instead of get emotional

I mentioned earlier that she doesn't like ghetto names, but has ghetto hair.
thank u sir. and also thank you for clarification and also sharing a bit of your experience. this is what civil discourse is.

dude said projecting. dude said no one said it

lmao

I didn't watch the video. Just read the article. So I don't know how her hair looks. So I guess I should've said who called her ghetto besides lamekilla

You definitely get discriminated against with these off the wall names. Doesn't make it right, but it happens without a doubt.

Civil discourse, yet you resort to jabs against my music preference. Stop it fam.

You are projecting. From the beginning you mentioned that your name didn't hinder you getting a graduate assistantship (not the hardest thing to do at a college), and felt the need to say that your name doesn't make you less smart/good enough. That leads me to believe that at some point, you felt some sort of discrimination based on your name, whether it be ethnic or considered ghetto. You say that you take issue with researchers that have identified the problem, yet you offer nothing more than idealistic rhetoric based on your individual experience and notions that can hardly see any modicum of actualization unless the instituional make-up sees a change. But you knew that already.

Last edited:
Ghetto is ghetto. Whether it's a trailer park or the projects or fifth avenue. Some people use it as a code word, but those people aren't even worth having a discussion with.

Last edited:
Civil discourse, yet you resort to jabs against my music preference. Stop it fam.

You are projecting. From the beginning you mentioned that your name didn't hinder you getting a graduate assistantship (not the hardest thing to do at a college), and felt the need to say that your name doesn't make you less smart/good enough. That leads me to believe that at some point, you felt some sort of discrimination based on your name, whether it be ethnic or considered ghetto. You say you take issue with researchers that have identified the problem, yet offer nothing more than idealistic notions that can hardly come to fruition unless the instituional make-up sees a change. But you knew that already.

No offense but you clearly have low reading comprehension. I didn't mention anything about my name. I mentioned that names of applicants did not affect me or move me towards thinking the applicants were any less qualified.

My first name is John. So yea I don't know what sorts of reaching you are attempting right now.

I also never said anything about researchers. What I mentioned was looking forward. So yes it is ideal. But guess what if me not using the same mind frame and language as Raven. Well quote me, never more.

Learn how to read

Last edited:
Didn't see the big deal here. What she said was clearly dumb. Not much discussion to be had other than acknowledging plenty other ppl think like this and make decisions based on this.

Still would impregnate.

her father called her out...
In an open letter  posted on this Facebook page Friday night, Christopher B. Pearman said he did not agree with his daughter’s comments, adding that she sometimes says “dumb ****.”

“Raven is a really Beautiful, Sweethearted, Human Being. I should know. Her Mother and I Love her Very much and will always support her and have her back. Even if sometimes………. she says some dumb S#%T!” he wrote.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/raven-symone-dad-rips-her-saying-dumb-t-170730724.html

It's dumb to not hire someone because of a name but most people make assumptions based on someone's name.

"Dog you embarrassed? Your real name is Clarence"

The View is absolute joke, weren't they the ones that made fun of that beauty pageant contestant who went up on stage and spoke about how her talent was being a nurse?...they went on making all sorts of ignorant comments about RNs...then instead of apologizing they tried to play the "ohh they misunderstood what we said, is their fault" clown **** women....straight disgusting.

Went to school with a girl named tequila too and a dude named courvosiet sp?.

I think it depends on the type of work where this can be an issue but even with a so called ghetto name, if your resume or work history speaks wonders, it really won't matter at all.

But this is just one of many typecasts we have out there that people can prejudge you on. It can be a ghetto name, wearing specific clothes, listening to certain music, having a certain type of haircut, tattoos, etc. This is really not a surprise at all.

None of the names that were in the video seemed realistic enough to be an actual name. watermelondrea? tf?

Slow day at the view if they having discourse on 6 year old YouTube video.

Back
Top Bottom