Whats wrong with ESPN?

It's an entertaining show because they let Papi act a fool and roast his son. It's a comedy sports show.

He deserved a E Entertainment award, not an ESPN one. He hadn't been an athlete or involved in sports for decades.

They gave him an award to promote their show and increase ratings instead of giving it to someone who legitimately deserved it.

Guess what the "E" in ESPN stands for...

I love HQ, i'm tight they're getting rid of it. The three of them is perfect on that show. Do people like Pablo? I'm shocked he's getting more airtime, he's a ****** dweeb. I won't be watching Bomani's new show which sucks because I **** with Bomani.

Yeah, dweeb is a good word to describe him. I don't think he's that popular but is smart to associate himself with dan's show and pti.

John clayton getting axed

The ESPN Layoffs Will Also Reportedly Include One Of Their Most Beloved NFL Reporters
ROBBY KALLAND 05.31.17
SHARE TWEET DISCUSS

GETTY IMAGE

A month after the start of the massive wave of ESPN layoffs saw nearly 100 on-air personalities, reporters, and writers let go from the sports media giant, there continue to be reports trickling out of more personalities that are headed out the door in Bristol. The reason for the drawn out process of some of these layoffs and the delay in announcements or news getting out is that many of the layoffs have involved people with a significant amount of time remaining on their contracts.

ESPN didn’t cut ties completely and offer severance packages, instead choosing to pay out the remainder of all contracts — some still multi-year deals. So, while we know of the vast majority of those that are out from ESPN, there will likely still be some layoffs that we learn about over the summer. On Wednesday, Michael McCarthy of Sporting News reported that one of those names is long-time NFL reporter John Clayton.

“The Professor” has been with ESPN for 23 years and will reportedly join Ed Werder and Trent Dilfer as tenured NFL reporters and well-known personalities that will no longer be employed by ESPN. In 2007, Clayton was inducted into the writer’s wing of the NFL Hall of Fame for his distinguished career dating back to the start of his career in Pittsburgh in the ’70s and eventual move to Seattle to cover the Seahawks for more than a decade for the Tacoma News Tribune.

Clayton was a regular on SportsCenter and NFL Live, but he might be best remembered by some for having one of the all-time great “This is SportsCenter” commercials in ESPN history, in which he unveils a ponytail and a Slayer t-shirt after doing a hit from his room at his mom’s house.

I'll tell you one thing that's wrong with ESPN. This Diet version of Stephen A Smith that's on ESPN First Take right now. I hate when Smith takes days off because this is one of two shows I watch on ESPN and his fill ins always suck.

I'm usually not fond of the FT fill-ins either, but Domonique Foxworth has been pretty good over the past couple days as SAS' backup imo. Gives me a very Bomanian vibe lol

Last edited:
Bomani's last day on Highly Questionable was Thursday. The farewell was touching.
frown.gif

1. ESPN’s new social media policy says reporters shouldn’t break news on Twitter, should avoid social issues
    ESPN's new social media policy isn't going to please everyone.
    508675230-832x447.jpg

ESPNBy Andrew Bucholtz on 11/02/2017

In the wake of high-profile controversies such as Jemele Hill’s tweets about President Donald Trump as a white supremacist (which drew ire from the White House and Trump himself) and tweets about a boycott of NFL sponsors (which actually got her suspended), ESPN has revised their 2011 social media policy, and done so in ways that are going to mark a drastic change for their reporters if fully enforced. ESPN president John Skipper’s memo about the policy is posted on ESPN Front Row here, and the whole policy is posted here. (Here is the 2011 onefor reference.)

The new policy, which has Undefeated editor-in-chief Kevin Merida as its principal author (as per ESPN’s release), has some notable updates for commentators like Hill as well. It includes lines like “Do nothing that would undercut your colleagues’ work or embroil the company in unwanted controversy,” and wants all social media commentary on political or social issues to be approved by editors or producers. But the biggest hard-and-fast changes appear to be for those involved in hard news, who are now being told to avoid stances on political and social issues completely. And interestingly enough, the new policy repeats a part of the 2011 policy that wasn’t often enforced: to not break news on social platforms.

ADVERTISING
    From the new policy:

+ Do not break news on social platforms. We want sto serve fans in the social sphere, but the first priority is to ESPN news and information efforts. Public news (i.e. announced in news conferences) can be distributed without vetting. However, sourced or proprietary news must be vetted by the Universal News Desk. Once reported on an ESPN platform, that news can (and should) be distributed on social platforms.

From the old policy:

+Do not break news on Twitter. We want to serve fans in the social sphere, but the first priority is to ESPN news and information efforts. Public news (i.e. announced in news conferences) can be distributed without vetting. However, sourced or proprietary news must be vetted by the TV or Digital news desks. Once reported on an ESPN platform, that news can (and should) be distributed on Twitter and other social sites.

If fully enforced, that rule would mean big changes. The “do not break news on social platforms” rule in particular would seemingly put ESPN at a massive disadvantage against competitors, as vetting news through a desk and posting it on an ESPN platform takes time. And that would seemingly hurt the likes of Adam Schefter and Adrian Wojnarowski, who break a ton of news on Twitter, but also have competitors in the space.

But Awful Announcing has learned that the “do not break news on social platforms” rule is still unlikely to apply to ESPN’s top newsgatherers, but will instead apply to others at the company. ESPN spokesperson Mike Soltys tweeted that this isn’t actually a policy change, so the status quo may prevail of Schefter and Wojnarowski filing their content and tweeting it out without waiting for editor approval, and that’s certainly positive for ESPN’s breaking news efforts:

A notable element of the new policy that wasn’t in the old one is telling reporters to avoid commentary on social or political issues. From the new policy:

+ Writers, reporters, producers and editors directly involved in “hard” news reporting, investigative or enterprise assignments and related coverage should refrain in any public-facing forum from taking positions on political or social issues, candidates or office holders.

The latest
    The guidelines for commentary are also new, and are different:

+ The subject matter should merit our audience’s interests, and be worthy of our time, space and resources; we should be in position to discuss the issue with authority and be factually accurate.
    + The topic should be related to a current issue impacting sports, unless otherwise approved by senior editorial management. This condition may vary for content appearing on platforms with broader editorial missions – such as The Undefeated, FiveThirtyEight and espnW.
    + Commentaries on relevant sports-related issues are appropriate, but we should refrain from overt partisanship or endorsement of particular candidates, politicians or political parties.
    + The presentation should be thoughtful and respectful. We should offer balance or recognize opposing views, as warranted. We should avoid personal attacks and inflammatory rhetoric.
    + Communication with producers and editors must take place prior to commentary on any political or social issues to manage volume and ensure a fair and effective presentation.

What will this actually mean? Well, it again will depend on the enforcement, but if applied to the letter of the law, this would mean that anyone involved with ESPN’s hard news side would have to avoid any tweets on “political or social issues,” and it will be interesting to see what those are defined as.

And it also would mean that commentators like Hill would have to “communicate with producers and editors” before tweeting about anything that could be considered “a political or social issue.” That could be a big change, and could dramatically reduce the volume of ESPN personalities opining on anything at all related to social issues. But these guidelines are far more restrictive than those of many media outlets, and they might spark some blowback in the ranks if ESPN tries to fully enforce them. We’ll see how this plays out.

[ESPN Front Row]

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/new-espn-social-media-policy.html

John Skipper resigns as ESPN president, George Bodenheimer takes over as acting chairman

upload_2017-12-18_10-50-29.png

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/21804776/john-skipper-resigns-espn-president

John Skipper resigned as president of ESPN and co-chairman of the Disney Media Networks on Monday.

George Bodenheimer, ESPN's president from 1998 to 2011 and its executive chairman until May 2014, will take over as the acting chairman of the company for the next 90 days to help Disney chairman and chief executive officer Bob Iger find Skipper's replacement.

"Today I have resigned from my duties as President of ESPN," Skipper said in a statement. "I have had a wonderful career at the Walt Disney Company and am grateful for the many opportunities and friendships. I owe a debt to many, but most profoundly Michael Lynton, George Bodenheimer and Bob Iger.

"I have struggled for many years with a substance addiction. I have decided that the most important thing I can do right now is to take care of my problem.

"I have disclosed that decision to the company, and we mutually agreed that it was appropriate that I resign. I will always appreciate the human understanding and warmth that Bob displayed here and always.

"I come to this public disclosure with embarrassment, trepidation and a feeling of having let others I care about down.

"As I deal with this issue and what it means to me and my family, I ask for appropriate privacy and a little understanding.

"To my colleagues at ESPN, it has been a privilege. I take great pride in your accomplishments and have complete confidence in your collective ability to continue ESPN's success."

Skipper, 61, joined ESPN in 1997 as senior vice president and general manager of ESPN The Magazine. He was named to his current job on Jan. 1, 2012.

"I join John Skipper's many friends and colleagues across the company in wishing him well during this challenging time," Iger said in a statement. "I respect his candor and support his decision to focus on his health and his family. With his departure, George Bodenheimer has agreed to serve as Acting Chair of ESPN for the next 90 days to provide interim leadership, help me identify and secure John's successor, and ensure a smooth transition. I am grateful for George's support and look forward to working with him again in this temporary role."

Bodenheimer, 59, was named president of ESPN on Nov. 19, 1998, and continued in the role through the end of 2011. He was then the company's executive chairman after Skipper took over as president of the company.

I remember maybe 96-97 or maybe 97-98, SC was the best show on television.

They should’ve done a reunion episode before Stuart Scott passed away.

That Stuart Scott, Rich Eisen, Kenny Mane, Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick era will never be topped.

Back
Top Bottom