Whats wrong with ESPN?

You stopped watching because you dont understand basketball? Sounds backwards b

More like, you were cool until that opinion by Stephen A? That's what it took???

Stephen A says a lot of dumb ****. Pretty much the straw that broke the camels back.

stephen a smith and his show became irrelevant last year when he stated that tony parker is a better PG than john wall..

had to stop watching after that nonsense. 
You stopped watching because you dont understand basketball? Sounds backwards b

You, Stephen A and all the other spurs fans can believe that Parker is currently a better PG than wall. but y'all are wrong. Entitled to your opinions. But it's wrong.

Stephen A says a lot of dumb ****. Pretty much the straw that broke the camels back.
You, Stephen A and all the other spurs fans can believe that Parker is currently a better PG than wall. but y'all are wrong. Entitled to your opinions. But it's wrong.

Wrong forum for this discussion.

Someone I forgot who wrote about 24 hour media channels and had some good points. They are made for major events. They have resource and talent to handle major events with complete coverage and analysis. When there is a major disaster, election, or world event you turn on CNN for update info because the event deserves that kind of attention. Same thing applies to sports, Draft Day, First day of free agency, March Madness, World Cup etc.

But when those type of events aren't going on, those channels lose their appeal. CNN repeats the news at the top of the hour every hour until something comes along, same with ESPN. The rest of that time is built on opinion that truthfully most viewers just don't find important enough to watch.

ESPN was what it was back in the day because there was nothing else, they set the standard and we accepted what they gave us, cause where else we gonna go? They have been giving the same thing for the last 20 years just calling it a different name every time.

Yeah we got the Internet for highlights, but brand loyalty is a crazy thing. Despite what a lot of people tend to believe about themselves ESPN is a opinion leader in terms of sports and what's deemed important in that world. Something happens most of us turn their first to watch about it. To me it hasn't fallen off, most of us receive our news differently now and we don't need them as much as before. We notice the fluff on CNN, ESPN etc more cause all we need from them nowadays are the facts. The rest is just white noise they make to fill the time until something important happens again.

To sum it up, ESPN is just the news for sports.

Nobody in their right mind would watch the news all day, so why would you watch ESPN all day.

ESPN needs premier league coverage

They can speak their minds, it just depends on the subject. Going hard at the nfl will get you in trouble like bill simmons. Papi is somehow immune. That's why he's so entertaining. He talks crap about everybody and goodell too.

Bill Simmons and Rob Parker both got the boot. :lol:

Nobody in their right mind would watch the news all day, so why would you watch ESPN all day.

ehh I used to leave ESPNews on as background noise/instant highlights :lol:

Like most have said live games and sportscenter are cool but a lot of their talking heads that troll their shows are auto-change the channel. Good riddance to Skip Bayless. PTI is ok except for Plaschke. I get the point of their shtick is to get viewers to watch and be angered, but it has the opposite effect on me.

It's all fun and games until a few years from now they hike the price of internet and start putting data caps...

They can speak their minds, it just depends on the subject. Going hard at the nfl will get you in trouble like bill simmons. Papi is somehow immune. That's why he's so entertaining. He talks crap about everybody and goodell too.

Bill Simmons and Rob Parker both got the boot. :lol:

I saw rob parker's cornball brotha self on the first take fs1 show and I laughed. They're like wcw taking espn's scraps and castaways.

SO glad Skip is gone.
Stephen A is just unwatchable.
MNF is garbage. Gruden is fine but McDonugh? On MNF??? Stop it!

I'm sure there's others but aside from those above, there's not much else taking me away from ESPN.

They've been slacking on all forms of soccer for decades :smh:. If Soccer is ever gonna pop for Americans you gotta tlak about the best players and wher they play.

They have the espn fc show which is pretty good but it doesn't air very often.

beIN sports has decent soccer coverage. I mostly watch to look at Kay Murray bae's stacked chest.

espn FC is on every weekday & they have an hour telecast on Sundays wrapping up the weekend's football.

Aside from that & the occasional MLS game, I haven't watched espn in almost 7 years.

I'll tell this story every time the network gets mention... My inlaw (who is black) used to be an IT manager for the network in Bristol. He said it's the most racist & sexist place he's ever worked. He described it as just white frat boys run a muck. Working in IT, he's seen all their emails & private communications... It's apparently worse than one could imagine (per him). That along with wanting to come back to MD were the reasons he left a great paying job....

Is it on espn news? Maybe that's why I never see it unless it's on espn2.

I know its on the ESPN app, you can stream the podcast from there. I never knew there was an actual show for it though. I've only seen small clips on the ESPN site when reading articles.

Gotta check it out.

But ESPN has to stop being the NFL/NBA channel. They have to have more shows that cover Baseball, hockey, soccer, golf, etc.

I feel like anytime I turn on ESPN its basketball and football, which I know are 2 of the biggest sports in the US, but for someone who is into more than just those 2 sports, I have to go and find alternatives.

As the nations largest sports network, they should spread across more sports equally. ESPN has the power to make the MLS a household name in our country, but its all NBA/NFL 80% of the time

Thats probably my biggest gripe with the network.

I just stopped caring about watching/listening to other people state their sports opinions, particularly when I started to understand the game more as I got older. There's no real analysis going on.

A lot of their personalities like to troll also. Just got tired of it.

Pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered RIP ESPN

indifferent.gif

I like CC, but did you see his dab explination.

I know its on the ESPN app, you can stream the podcast from there. I never knew there was an actual show for it though. I've only seen small clips on the ESPN site when reading articles.

Gotta check it out.

But ESPN has to stop being the NFL/NBA channel. They have to have more shows that cover Baseball, hockey, soccer, golf, etc.

I feel like anytime I turn on ESPN its basketball and football, which I know are 2 of the biggest sports in the US, but for someone who is into more than just those 2 sports, I have to go and find alternatives.

As the nations largest sports network, they should spread across more sports equally. ESPN has the power to make the MLS a household name in our country, but its all NBA/NFL 80% of the time

Thats probably my biggest gripe with the network.

I mean, they are targeting the majority.

The majority is the NBA and NFL.

You think the ratings are down now, just imagine what they woukd be if they heighten golf and hockey coverage :lol:

Cable companies have ridiculous pricing. We should have the option to get rid of channels we don't watch and get our bill lowered.
Media conglomerates lobby Washington so policy is passed to prevent that from ever happening. You either bite the bullet and pay the ridiculous prices or you cut the chord and stream.

I studied media but i dont really get how this works. If i cut the cord on cable then i cut the cord on all channels i had in my package. My question is do people solely susbscribe to espn and there channels. For me, my basic cable company package includes it, its not like i have to ask for it specifically. 

ESPN is trash anyway, so it was bound to happen. Sans pti, lebatard, bomani and max kellerman, the channel is terrible. 

The economics is what makes it significant. Yes, all cable channels suffer, because cable is bundled. However, you pay WAY more for ESPN than any other network, and it's not even close. You pay $7.21 per month for ESPN (the Deuce is another 90 cents). Now, compare that to CNN ($0.71) and Fox News ($1.41). With the insane money ESPN is throwing out for broadcast rights, losing 600,000+ subscribers at $7.21/pop is a big loss.

Thank you for breaking this down.

It's all fun and games until a few years from now they hike the price of internet and start putting data caps...

This is absolutely going to go down especially if AT&T and Time Warner goes through.

Cable companies have ridiculous pricing. We should have the option to get rid of channels we don't watch and get our bill lowered.

Media conglomerates lobby Washington so policy is passed to prevent that from ever happening. You either bite the bullet and pay the ridiculous prices or you cut the chord and stream.

This.

Cot dammmmmn!!! :rofl: :rofl:

You know there's some ESPN dudes sucking their teeth, mad as hell. :lol: Waiting for the clap back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom