When did the "general consensus" for Greatest Album move from Paid In Full to Illmatic?

I know greatest album is all opinion and subjective but I remember for years ask any respectable magazine or 75% of all hip hop heads they would say "Paid in Full" was the best Hip Hop album

But the last 5 years I have seen Illmatic take the place. Is this due to the amount of people who still discuss hip hop who were born during the Rakim era or did Illmatic just get greater?

I know greatest album is all opinion and subjective but I remember for years ask any respectable magazine or 75% of all hip hop heads they would say "Paid in Full" was the best Hip Hop album

But the last 5 years I have seen Illmatic take the place. Is this due to the amount of people who still discuss hip hop who were born during the Rakim era or did Illmatic just get greater?

I see mixed answers everytime the "what's the GOAT Hip Hop album" question comes up so for me, I can't say that I heard A LOT of heads say "Paid In Full".
Now as far as the album getting better (or greater)...no.What's put on wax is on wax and can't change,but the listener's understanding of the material can.

I see mixed answers everytime the "what's the GOAT Hip Hop album" question comes up so for me, I can't say that I heard A LOT of heads say "Paid In Full".
Now as far as the album getting better (or greater)...no.What's put on wax is on wax and can't change,but the listener's understanding of the material can.

imo, Illmatic > Paid in full. And I'm a HUGE fan of both. Can't go wrong with either one though.
pimp.gif

imo, Illmatic > Paid in full. And I'm a HUGE fan of both. Can't go wrong with either one though.
pimp.gif

I love both to death but me being a old school hip hop fan i gotta go with paid in full

that album set the bar for lyrics

I love both to death but me being a old school hip hop fan i gotta go with paid in full

that album set the bar for lyrics

I prefer Illmatic but Paid In Full is more important. Rakim seemed to have changed everything after that album. It's almost like there's an era before and after Rakim. It blows my mind thinking of what he's accomplished in the game.

I prefer Illmatic but Paid In Full is more important. Rakim seemed to have changed everything after that album. It's almost like there's an era before and after Rakim. It blows my mind thinking of what he's accomplished in the game.

even tho nas was ahead of his time rakim did seem to have a bigger impact of the community as a whole
personally tho illmatic>

even tho nas was ahead of his time rakim did seem to have a bigger impact of the community as a whole
personally tho illmatic>

Originally Posted by FlacoBey

I thought It Was Written was a better album than Illmatic

it was written is a classic but illmatic is a masterpiece

Back
Top Bottom