When did the "general consensus" for Greatest Album move from Paid In Full to Illmatic?

Originally Posted by FlacoBey

I thought It Was Written was a better album than Illmatic

it was written is a classic but illmatic is a masterpiece

Originally Posted by visualmusiC

I prefer Illmatic but Paid In Full is more important. Rakim seemed to have changed everything after that album. It's almost like there's an era before and after Rakim. It blows my mind thinking of what he's accomplished in the game.

This pretty much sums it up.

If you're talking about this "consensus", well obviously, in 2000 and beyond, with a younger generation that has a louder voice because of Discussion Boards, Facebook, Twitter etc., then yes, you're going to have a younger audience that wasn't really around for Paid In Full that will say Illmatic.

Both are INCREDIBLE. But I mean, did Illmatic really CHANGE the game? Paid In Full did.

Funny thing is, they're basically the same album to me. Not enough songs. Like 5-6 BRILLIANT records and some that are not as brilliant.

For the record, the consensus as I'd always known it, was that It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back was the Greatest Rap Album of All Time.

Originally Posted by visualmusiC

I prefer Illmatic but Paid In Full is more important. Rakim seemed to have changed everything after that album. It's almost like there's an era before and after Rakim. It blows my mind thinking of what he's accomplished in the game.

This pretty much sums it up.

If you're talking about this "consensus", well obviously, in 2000 and beyond, with a younger generation that has a louder voice because of Discussion Boards, Facebook, Twitter etc., then yes, you're going to have a younger audience that wasn't really around for Paid In Full that will say Illmatic.

Both are INCREDIBLE. But I mean, did Illmatic really CHANGE the game? Paid In Full did.

Funny thing is, they're basically the same album to me. Not enough songs. Like 5-6 BRILLIANT records and some that are not as brilliant.

For the record, the consensus as I'd always known it, was that It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back was the Greatest Rap Album of All Time.

But the thing is, outta the two albums in this thread, I'd rather listen to ''Doggystyle''...

*Yeezy Shrug*

...so all in all - ''Greatest Album'' is purely subjective.

But the thing is, outta the two albums in this thread, I'd rather listen to ''Doggystyle''...

*Yeezy Shrug*

...so all in all - ''Greatest Album'' is purely subjective.

And another thing:

Nas' style on ''Illmatic'' contains several interpolations of Mr. 18th Letter...

...so if the debate of GAOAT is between these two albums, you're kinda just liking the same style twice.

And another thing:

Nas' style on ''Illmatic'' contains several interpolations of Mr. 18th Letter...

...so if the debate of GAOAT is between these two albums, you're kinda just liking the same style twice.

Public_Enemy_-_It_Takes_A_Nation_Of_Millions_To_Hold_Us-back-front.jpg
>Paid in Full

personally, i gotta go with illmatic. Paid in full was a game changer though...so many future rappers molded their style after rakim...

personally, i gotta go with illmatic. Paid in full was a game changer though...so many future rappers molded their style after rakim...

IMO I think Reasonable Doubt and Ready to Die are the 2 greatest rap albums of all time. *kanye shrug* 

IMO I think Reasonable Doubt and Ready to Die are the 2 greatest rap albums of all time. *kanye shrug* 

Paid in Full is the precursor to Illmatic.

Illmatic, Nas had mad hype with his Main Source feature and in the media. His demo tape was quite serious too. When Illmatic dropped its like Nas took what Rakim did and just flipped it to another level. not to mention that he was younger and a lotta cats who now say that Ill > PIF were coming up at the time so that made Nas more relatable.

(Personally I think Big had the most hype of them (Nas, Jay, Rae, East Coast rap in general) all and definitely exceeded expectations)

To me, if you wanna rap and construct bars, Illmatic is it. If you wanna make a "formatted album" in terms of crossover, introspective and underground, Life After Death is it. On me, every rap album post 97 that did BillBoard damage studied the LAD format in one way shape or another.

Illmatic is the most quintessential hip hop album I've heard though.

Paid in Full is the precursor to Illmatic.

Illmatic, Nas had mad hype with his Main Source feature and in the media. His demo tape was quite serious too. When Illmatic dropped its like Nas took what Rakim did and just flipped it to another level. not to mention that he was younger and a lotta cats who now say that Ill > PIF were coming up at the time so that made Nas more relatable.

(Personally I think Big had the most hype of them (Nas, Jay, Rae, East Coast rap in general) all and definitely exceeded expectations)

To me, if you wanna rap and construct bars, Illmatic is it. If you wanna make a "formatted album" in terms of crossover, introspective and underground, Life After Death is it. On me, every rap album post 97 that did BillBoard damage studied the LAD format in one way shape or another.

Illmatic is the most quintessential hip hop album I've heard though.

Back
Top Bottom