Which NTer is this? NYC Man Earns $55,000 A Year Peddling Candy On Subway

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

If you buy in bulk (and I mean conservatively at a regular Sam's Club/Costco type store), M&M's individual packs are appox. $0.50, so he nets $0.50 a sale.
Based on a 365 day full schedule, to make $55k, working 8 hrs a day, he's essentially selling 35-40 candy packs per hour. Even taking into account that he takes off time for holidays and vacation time, still not bad.

Considering how many people are on a subway and if he gets a better deal somewhere else for his product, I figure that's more than do-able.

35-40 an hour... You are out of your damn mind if you think that's doable. And that is a conservative estimate IMO.
I ride the subway everyday, definitely doable.  5 mins a cart, 50+ people in every cart.

Originally Posted by NachoBroadway

If you buy in bulk (and I mean conservatively at a regular Sam's Club/Costco type store), M&M's individual packs are appox. $0.50, so he nets $0.50 a sale.
Based on a 365 day full schedule, to make $55k, working 8 hrs a day, he's essentially selling 35-40 candy packs per hour. Even taking into account that he takes off time for holidays and vacation time, still not bad.

Considering how many people are on a subway and if he gets a better deal somewhere else for his product, I figure that's more than do-able.

35-40 an hour... You are out of your damn mind if you think that's doable. And that is a conservative estimate IMO.
I ride the subway everyday, definitely doable.  5 mins a cart, 50+ people in every cart.

Definitely believable, this is like a convenience store on steroids. Those exhausted commuters need snacks, and they're coming in and out.

I see a lot of these sellers struggle with people hardly copping, trust. It's not as easy as some of you make it.

I rode the subway everyday a few summers back. I rarely saw anyone buy anything from these sellers. I'm not dismissing that he could make a marginal living; I just think 55k is outlandish if each unit is only $1. At least 40 candies an hour, 8 hours a day, 7 days a week... I just don't see it.

I rode the subway everyday a few summers back. I rarely saw anyone buy anything from these sellers. I'm not dismissing that he could make a marginal living; I just think 55k is outlandish if each unit is only $1. At least 40 candies an hour, 8 hours a day, 7 days a week... I just don't see it.
That math is wrong, that's why it seems so outlandish. If he's buying legally, he's getting em 1/3 the price he sells em for or less. I guarantee he's clockin at least 10-12 hours a day sometimes more. 20 items an hour is more like it. 20(items) x 11(hours) x 345(days)= $75,900.

Back
Top Bottom