Who here makes 6 figures? Vol. 2016 edition

High six-figures
Real Estate Developer/Investor
First six figure year 2012
Age 29
College Dropout. Last guy anyone thought was going to get his head on straight and be successful.

How I got here?

Self-educating and TRYING. Biggest thing I see affect people not getting to the next level is not taking ACTION. You have to be able to take information and implement it.

31 F and I manager in carworld about 160 plus. Went to powersports for less hours away from home.. Dropped to about 125 130ish

I couldn't imagine taking any more time out of my life that I could otherwise be using to pursue my passions.
This. Long *** work days and emphasis on $ and material items in this country is one of the reasons why the stress level is so high and the life expectancy is crap, in an otherwise advanced nation. It's also one of the reasons why we're so heavily medicated in the U.S.

Granted if you love your job it's a different story, but that's rare.

Last edited:
High six-figures
Age 29
College Dropout. Last guy anyone thought was going to get his head on straight and be successful.

How I got here?

Self-educating and TRYING. Biggest thing I see affect people not getting to the next level is not taking ACTION. You have to be able to take information and implement it.

Howd you get the initial capital?

The important question is, what are you guys doing to minimize your income tax burden?

Good question, i feel like i need to do more. Other than putting a good chunk into 401k, the mortgage, and we have a pretty good amount of write offs with having a home office, we dont really do much else.

The important question is, what are you guys doing to minimize your income tax burden?

I stop at Nordstrom rack wherever I go and buy an item, that way I get the milage. Just keep all you receipts and even your meals will be covered. LOL!! You can make a trip to disneyland a tax write off if you buy something to resell

I work around 50 hours a week in investment management and teach about 6 hours on the side.

Texas

Should clear 160k (typo) this year if things fall right

Last edited:
I work around 50 hours a week in investment management and teach about 6 hours on the side.

Texas

Should clear 160k (typo) this year if things fall right
What do you do exactly in investment management? Sell side?

I stop at Nordstrom rack wherever I go and buy an item, that way I get the milage. Just keep all you receipts and even your meals will be covered. LOL!! You can make a trip to disneyland a tax write off if you buy something to resell
mad suspect [emoji]128517[/emoji] doesnt seem legit. Ill have to ask my cpa lmao. I have a few trips lined up in the next few months

Starting CRNA school this fall, I will when I graduate in 2 years. As people have stated before depends on location. I made close to six figures in NYC before I moved to Atlanta just working one extra shift a pay period. But I was paying close to double in rent.

High finance = buy side + sell side

Buy side = investment management = PE, HF, VC, MF, credit fund

Sell side = advisory and capital markets = equity research, investment banking, brokers

I work at an opportunistic fund...

Mixture between credit fund, distressed debt hedge fund, private equity (structured), and Venture capital.

Basically, anywhere on the capital stack where we see a way to make money, doing a lot of middle market and some publicly traded stuff

Last edited:

High finance = buy side + sell side

Buy side = investment management = PE, HF, VC, MF, credit fund

Sell side = advisory and capital markets = equity research, investment banking, brokers

I work at an opportunistic fund...

Mixture between credit fund, distressed debt hedge fund, private equity (structured), and Venture capital.

Basically, anywhere on the capital stack where we see a way to make money, doing a lot of middle market and some publicly traded stuff
Got you. I work in the industry myself is why I asked (Sell side).

That's the kinda **** that gets you audited though. You think it could never happen to you but these guys' jobs are to find people like you who write-off Disneyland trips :rolleyes

I'm talking real loophole **** guys.

Starting CRNA school this fall, I will when I graduate in 2 years. As people have stated before depends on location. I made close to six figures in NYC before I moved to Atlanta just working one extra shift a pay period. But I was paying close to double in rent.
I have a cousin who is a CRNA here in the northeast. She made really good money out of school. Good luck with it man.

I hit 6 figures a few years back just working up through the ranks. Started off making decent money right out of college. I should break 250k this year if sales continue like they are and stock keeps bouncing back. I work in logistics and work less than 40 pretty much every week. Not including emails at home pretty much all day long.

Actually working on a new position with a different company I'll make a little less but the corporate headquarters is very close so the upside there makes it a little more appealing. I have no desire to move from the Louisville area and certainly no desire to move to Arkansas For the next position up from my current role
First off props to you for making 6 figures. I actually recently just graduated with a logistics degree. How did you land your first job? Also how quickly you moved up the ranks?
F that plateau of 100k,

I just want to be comfortable and not fall into the trap of making X and now wanting X + 50k

We are made to always want more, cut that **** off and you'll be golden.

Financial freedom is where it's at.

The only way i would work 50-60-70-80 hours a week is if I work for myself. I'm not slaving for somebody else.

Making 70k a year working 35 hours with flexibility, pension plan and great benefits >>> making 120k slaving with no benefits.
This!
smokin.gif

Last edited:
First off props to you for making 6 figures. I actually recently just graduated with a logistics degree. How did you land your first job? Also how quickly you moved up the ranks?
This!:smokin  

I honestly just lucked into my first job. I was a manager of a Nike outlet in college loved my job. Planned on just transferring out to Beaverton after I graduated. My mom told me about the job, I applied and was in 2 months after I had graduated with a double major in management and HR. I got moved to an operations manager after 2 years, Assistant general manager about 1.5 years later. Went to the store side for about a year as a market manager. Then got a regional logistics manager that I work out of my original building but our central business unit office is in Chicago so I'm there a couple times a month for meetings.

My career growth is far from normal though. I got lucky on many spots opening up in places where I had met and impressed people. I worked a ton of hours at first, didn't even use my first vacation day until my 3rd year working. I'm about 20 years younger than most regional managers.

I started in a large distribution center(1 million square feet, 800ish employees, and over a billion in sales yearly). I was open to bouncing around to move up. And that was the key. If you are flexible and willing to go anywhere you can move up quickly in most large companies. And I'm at the largest company so career growth is easier as long as you are capable of learning quick, perform at a high level, and learn who are the people that you need on your side.

I honestly just lucked into my first job. I was a manager of a Nike outlet in college loved my job. Planned on just transferring out to Beaverton after I graduated. My mom told me about the job, I applied and was in 2 months after I had graduated with a double major in management and HR. I got moved to an operations manager after 2 years, Assistant general manager about 1.5 years later. Went to the store side for about a year as a market manager. Then got a regional logistics manager that I work out of my original building but our central business unit office is in Chicago so I'm there a couple times a month for meetings.

My career growth is far from normal though. I got lucky on many spots opening up in places where I had met and impressed people. I worked a ton of hours at first, didn't even use my first vacation day until my 3rd year working. I'm about 20 years younger than most regional managers.

I started in a large distribution center(1 million square feet, 800ish employees, and over a billion in sales yearly). I was open to bouncing around to move up. And that was the key. If you are flexible and willing to go anywhere you can move up quickly in most large companies. And I'm at the largest company so career growth is easier as long as you are capable of learning quick, perform at a high level, and learn who are the people that you need on your side.
Thanks! I really appreciated the advice!

Doesn't sound like luck to me :smokin

High six-figures
Age 29

How I got here?

Where did you get money to start investing?

High six-figures
Age 29

How I got here?

props bro!!!!

i know ppl are reading things like this right here and just straight up salty

repped, thank you btw i recall your story already but for thread purposes........8)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom