Who is the best PG in the league right now?

based on talent and potential- of course its cp3

but how can you not take into account playoff performance...it takes a different kind of player to be successful in pressure situations, once cp3 shows it tome in the playoffs, then ill be a believer

having said that, ill take kidd because of the defense

Even if the numbers didn't speak for themselves I don't think anyone can a better job than Nash in Phoenix, but I can definitely see Nash filling in in NO and doing as good a job as Paul.
I hate using other players to justify one player's talent, but look at what Nash has in terms of running the floor compared to Paul. Nashmakes the other Suns' jobs much easier, but at the same time, the opposite also applies. Nash gets all kinds of easy assists because of the pure athleteshe has around him.

I think Chris Paul could run with Marion, Stoudemire, etc. just fine.

i dont know which is more disgusting;
KLJ riding CP3
Niners fans riding Willis
or JRain riding Moss
or warriors fans riding baron davis

laugh.gif

but i agree with thread starter, chris paul

I'm not a big fan of Nash because I think he's overhyped, but I will say that at this point in time he's better than Chris Paul. Not more talented,but a better player right now.

I would also say that j-Kidd, Chauncey Billups,Deron Williams, and possibly Baron Davis should be in the conversation as well. So as good as Paul is playing,he isn't hands down better than any of the afformentioned. It's really a toss up...

It baffles me that someone who is arguably the worst defensive player in the NBA can be considered the best PG by so many. Nash couldnt guard a statue, yetmost people fail to see that. Yes he is great offensively, but I dont see how that makes up for his complete lack of defense. If someone is great at one thing,but atrocious at another, doesnt that cancel each other out to make him average? Ok I know Nash is better than an average player, but I guess I am just an oldschool basketball fan that doesnt appreciate a player who plays no defense and leads or close to leads the NBA in turnovers on a yearly basis.

Jason Kidd isn't playing very well at all this year, so he shouldn't be in this conversation. He's not playing bad, he's just not playing wellfor someone of his "stature".

Seriously, it's 100% undebatable; the correct answer is Chris Paul.
i'm glad me & kiddin like jason arent't the only ones that know this anymore.

if i had to take 1 pg for 1 play: CP3
if i had to take 1 pg for 1 game: CP3
if i had to take 1 pg for 1 season: CP3
if i had to take 1 pg for the rest of his career: CP3

Jason Kidd isn't playing very well at all this year, so he shouldn't be in this conversation.

i wouldn't go that far...have you seen the nets without kidd on the floor??

Jason Kidd isn't playing very well at all this year, so he shouldn't be in this conversation.
eek.gif
PG talk & NOT including Kidd in the mix is a mistake. His turnovers have been higher this year but he is def in the mix just as much assome of these other players.

Originally Posted by dland24

It baffles me that someone who is arguably the worst defensive player in the NBA can be considered the best PG by so many. Nash couldnt guard a statue, yet most people fail to see that. Yes he is great offensively, but I dont see how that makes up for his complete lack of defense. If someone is great at one thing, but atrocious at another, doesnt that cancel each other out to make him average? Ok I know Nash is better than an average player, but I guess I am just an old school basketball fan that doesnt appreciate a player who plays no defense and leads or close to leads the NBA in turnovers on a yearly basis.

No one seems to be talking defense here.

When you have PGs like Baron Davis and Deron Williams that can guard anybody in the 1 through 3 spot legitimately one-on-one, guys like Nash shouldn'teven be mentioned if we're talking about the best OVERALL point guards in the league.

It's Paul, but Williams ain't far behind.

For all the Nash lovers, think real hard about your arguments. All those guys who say that Nash makes it easy for Marion and Stat and whoever else on offense,TAKE A LOOK HOW HARD HE MAKES THEM COVER FOR HIM ON DEFENSE. The other day his man was all by himself getting ready to shoot from the corner, NASH JUST SATAND WATCHED. Marion actually had to jump off his man and at least, AT LEAST put an arm up to make Fish's shot a little bit tougher. So does the"MVP" really make everyones job easier? Sure, HALF the time. How do you guys overlook that part of his game? He doesn't have to be the gloveout there, he just needs to attempt to slow someone. He doesn't. So while Bell and Marion try to play D, Nash and Stat just run around waititng to getthe ball back to go play offense. But, hey, I'm just a hater probably. None of what I said is true right? Try watching the game from Christmas. You'll see.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Even if the numbers didn't speak for themselves I don't think anyone can a better job than Nash in Phoenix, but I can definitely see Nash filling in in NO and doing as good a job as Paul.
I hate using other players to justify one player's talent, but look at what Nash has in terms of running the floor compared to Paul. Nash makes the other Suns' jobs much easier, but at the same time, the opposite also applies. Nash gets all kinds of easy assists because of the pure athletes he has around him.

I think Chris Paul could run with Marion, Stoudemire, etc. just fine.

I don't think we should penalize Nash for getting all kinds of easy assists. Running the fast break to perfection is one of the greatest qualities of anexceptional point guard. It's not like the opposing team is handing out baskets, someone has to create them.

I also like that Nash is efficient offensively; at the PG position, that is crucial. Paul may average more points, but it takes him more shots to do it. Thefact that Nash and Paul both take a lot of 3 point attempts, yet Nash shoots a significantly better percentage is huge.
Paul definitely has the edge in steals, but a lot of people would argue that steals at the PG spot doesn't necessarily make you a better defender(A.I. is a classic example). I don't necessarily subscribe to that theory, I think 3 steals is impressive, regardless. But if I were to base my decision onwho the better PG is, I am going to base it on assists, first and foremost, how efficient their offensive game is, and how well they run their team. So on thatcriteria, I like Nash.

Originally Posted by CP1708

It's Paul, but Williams ain't far behind.

For all the Nash lovers, think real hard about your arguments. All those guys who say that Nash makes it easy for Marion and Stat and whoever else on offense, TAKE A LOOK HOW HARD HE MAKES THEM COVER FOR HIM ON DEFENSE. The other day his man was all by himself getting ready to shoot from the corner, NASH JUST SAT AND WATCHED. Marion actually had to jump off his man and at least, AT LEAST put an arm up to make Fish's shot a little bit tougher. So does the "MVP" really make everyones job easier? Sure, HALF the time. How do you guys overlook that part of his game? He doesn't have to be the glove out there, he just needs to attempt to slow someone. He doesn't. So while Bell and Marion try to play D, Nash and Stat just run around waititng to get the ball back to go play offense. But, hey, I'm just a hater probably. None of what I said is true right? Try watching the game from Christmas. You'll see.
Its good to see with all these Nash riders that people actually see this like I do. This is the major reason I think Nash should have ZERO mvps, letalone 2. I went to the game at the Oracle, and no exaggeration, the person Nash was guarding probably scored 65+ points. And even then, constant double teamscame and then the ball went to the open man, and he scored.

IMO, Steve Nash is a "system" point guard. Sure the offense is better because of him, but he's also better because of the offense.

...lets not turn this into post bashing steve nash. he's the 3rd best pg in the league.

Lavious, if you were referring to me then I wasn't bashing Nash. My point was that any elite PG (like Kidd) would flourish in D'Antoni's system,just as Nash has done.

Originally Posted by URBAN BALLERZ

chris paul aint even the best PG in his division

So I'm guessing your referring to Tony Parker?? And how would you justify that when

1. Chris Paul is leading his own team with a winning record.

2. Is more efficient

3. Tony Parker is not doing anything better than Cp3 statistically.
The best PG RIGHT NOW.. Jason Kidd.. Now the Nets are losing, but if we are talkingabout playing the point guard position, on both ends of the floor he is giving it to anybody.. than Nash, Paul, Baron Davis, Mike Conley ..........
wink.gif

Just thought I'd make a table for the discussion.

I was going to say 'Kidd, Paul, Nash, Billups, Baron, Deron', but making this table (with particular attention to the efficiency rating) makes mesecond-guess myself.

Kidd's my dude, though. I can't put him at #2 on my PG depth chart.
ohwell.gif

Anyhoo, here you go:
[table][tr][td]NAME[/td] [td]PPG[/td] [td]RPG[/td] [td]APG[/td] [td]SPG[/td] [td]FG%[/td] [td]3P%[/td] [td]Efficiency rating[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kidd[/td] [td]11.0[/td] [td]8.7[/td] [td]10.4[/td] [td]1.7[/td] [td]0.367[/td] [td]0.307[/td] [td]21.33[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Paul[/td] [td]21.7[/td] [td]3.8[/td] [td]10.0[/td] [td]2.9[/td] [td]0.493[/td] [td]0.398[/td] [td]26.81[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nash[/td] [td]17.5[/td] [td]3.7[/td] [td]12.4[/td] [td]0.7[/td] [td]0.512[/td] [td]0.471[/td] [td]24.57[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Billups[/td] [td]17.7[/td] [td]2.9[/td] [td]7.7[/td] [td]1.3[/td] [td]0.441[/td] [td]0.357[/td] [td]20.54[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Deron[/td] [td]19.8[/td] [td]3.1[/td] [td]8.8[/td] [td]1.2[/td] [td]0.503[/td] [td]0.390[/td] [td]21.37[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Baron[/td] [td]21.9[/td] [td]4.9[/td] [td]8.0[/td] [td]2.5[/td] [td]0.414[/td] [td]0.337[/td] [td]22.59[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][/table]

So the efficiency rating would say:
1. Paul
2. Nash
3. Baron
4. Deron
5. Kidd
6. Billups

Assists:
1. Nash
2. Kidd
3. Paul
4. Deron
5. Baron
6. Billups

Scoring:
1. Baron
2. Paul
3. Deron
4. Billups
5. Nash
6. Kidd

Rebounds:
1. Kidd
2. Baron
3. Paul
4. Nash
5. Deron
6. Billups

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Do people not understand what "right now" means?
This isn't talking about in general, number of rings, number of MVPS, etc... this is talking about today, in the NBA, who is the #1 PG...

People not saying CP3...
smh.gif

Has Kidd had a better career than CP3 so far? Yep.
Has Nash had a better career than CP3 so far? Yep.

Are either of them, right now, TODAY, better than CP3? I don't think so.

As of today Nash is averaging 17.5ppg, 12.4 apg, 3.7 rpg.

He's also shooting a higher FG, FT and 3pt (much higher) percentages.
Paul is scoring more but I would rather have my PG score less and dish more.

Phoenix also has a better record and is leading their division. There's no way I would take Paul over Nash.
but youre forgetting....chris is surrounded by crap
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom