Who Is The Greatest Living Musician?

This is a question I've never heard raised. I personally do no know enough about music in general to pass a judgment, however my friend is pretty educatedan he says Buddy Guy. His reasons hes an amazing guitar player and blues musician and has influenced Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, and John Mayer just to name afew. Just wondering what kind of response I'd get from here.

Sir Paul McCartney edit: My honorable mention is Dave Grohl. Singer, songwriter, guitarist, and drummer. He's incredibly talented, IMO.

you'd have to do this kinda thing by genres.
otherwise, it'd be like comparing MJ, Babe Ruth & Ali

Araab Muzik

his melodies are out of this world. and
eek.gif
@ his drum machine skills

- going by your question if we say living today I gotta go with MJ.
- I would've said Stevie Wonder but he hasn't had a hit in a min, and something I was thinking about the other day is if you Stevie career started outtoday I don't think he would be seen in the same light
-also I would put Dylan in that #1 spot but early on his singing was just atrocious
- as far as dead or alive prolly Hendrix but I gotta think about this one some more

-Also OP your friend is an idiot, those guitarists you listed were influenced by the blues genre as a whole and Buddy Guy was/is one of the great bluesguitarists but neither the greatest nor most influential.

There really isnt one great Musician. I think its better to put them in categories. Such as vocalist, drummer, guitarist, bass player, etc. But while we areat it I'll go with KING DIAMOND.

John Mayer is very virtuoso.

BUT VICTOR WOOTEN > Anybody that will be mention in this thread as far as MUSICIANSHIP. (except Jimi but he's dead)

I would say Prince because he plays almost every instrument in an orchestra.....and hes great at every one. In every one of his songs when they record in thestudio...he plays each instrument you hear on the beat....he only hires a band for touring purposes

Stevie is great but i dont think he can play all the intruments...I've only seen him play the piano and harmonica

Put some Stevie Wonder through headphones on my wife's pregnant stomach the other night so that our little unborn son could hear some tunes. He's duein July & for sure he is going to get the love for real R&B /soul from his parents early.

He started moving lol.

I'ma go with Stevie Wonder if we want to take into account his overall life contributions to music (co-writing, as the artist himself, collabs., etc.)

Don't matter to me if he is old news. good music is timeless & his influence is all over music, intentional or otherwise today & into the future.

My other picks would be Billy Joel, Elton John, Michael Jackson, & Prince (because he can ball
tongue.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom