Why does J Cole think hiding is gonna be good for his career?? Vol Milk Carton overdue

Tweeting with fans and answering their questions every now and then allows us to get answers about what happened to songs like Wet Dreams. Fan interaction on twitter also got us Ima Fool a while back due to a fan asking for it

Last edited:
I call BS on all of this...

Cole has been around 5 years now....and he may not be a "superstar" but he is the most successful new rapper after Drake, Nicki Minaj and Kendrick Lamar. Does he have as much relevance in the mainstream, no. But is the mainstream the reason he is were he is now, or is it a loyal fanbase?

To not be relevant...he has albums that have outsold Rick Ross and Kanye West. His albums have outsold every other new rapper who subscribes to your idea of "exposure" and to top it off he doesnt even make MAINSTREAM Music. And I get it... its not just about sales... its about being on peoples minds too right, but I think u guys are ignoring the larger scope of things.

How many rappers are truly relevant and have sustained that interest for a significant amount of time? Its less than 10 right now.

I, like all other fans want to see dude win and be at the top but at the same time...why cant it be done on his terms? After two albums...What happened with Jay-Z? Vol 2 right?...and the rest is history

and to be honest... for Cole to be a traditional "superstar", it will have to be a 180... most of dudes appeal as that he just a normal guy, its only so far the media can push that. His status may not scream superstar but it can make for longevity and quality music... look at Nas.
outsold kanye drake and ross? cole has outsold ross, thats it though.. even yeezus went platinum when born sinner didnt. cole could be a superstar by being in the public more often. thats about it. people can relate to him BECAUSE hes the normal guy. For instance, kendrick is a superstar right now. and all he does is drop a featured verse every 3 months. no album since 2012 but hes still on everyones mind. and THATS the difference. besides, he has TWO albums. TWO. that isnt a long enough track record to even call success.

to say hes in last place out of all the new heavy hitters isnt saying much when he was supposed to be at the forefront. remember, drake kendrick and cole were all at the exact same level when they went mainstream. everyone was saying those THREE will be the kings of hiphop. cole the only one whos faded. and dont act like cole doesnt want mainstream attention. cuz if he didnt then sideline story wouldve been much better than it was. he changed ish up and added old song and removed some FIRE songs just to give the album mainstream appeal. cmon now...
Main thing that frustrates me about Cole is his Twitter hiatus. I have seen the interviews about why he doesn't tweet but damn, dude tweets like once a month and it's to promote Bas or a tour. It wouldn't hurt to interact with his fans on twitter a couples times per week. I'm not asking for him to be like Wale with his Twitter game, but I know he has free time every now and then where he could just take about 10 questions or so. He did that once a few months back and a fan asked him what happened to the song Wet Dreams and that's something I had been wondering also so it was good to see that he hadn't completely forgot about it. I used to enjoy the "colestreams" that he would do on Ustream from time to time also.

I can tolerate the rate at which he puts out music cause when he does drop something like Truly Yours, everybody goes crazy. A few more features would be cool though. Let's face it, we can forget about getting that Cole and Kendrick joint album regardless of what they say. It's not happening. They should just go ahead and release whatever they have so far...when the timing is right of course.
thats another reason he cant be a superstar. hes TOO ghost. people follow IB on twitter just so SOMEBODY out of dreamville can say something online. cole has ZERO marketing. it just doesnt make sense. its like he dont want his career to be as big as it can be. And last i heard, cole and kendrick had finished like 6 tracks together but because of the crazy schedules (mainly kendricks) they just dont have enough time

@TEKtheMastro... Never said he outsold Drake. He has outsold Ross while Ross has been "the hottest" and Born Sinner has sold more records than Yeezus. Go check the numbers. Yeezus is plat because of units shipped but last I check still was behind Born Sinner in numbers.

Can you provide us with a newer rapper's marketing strategy that you like? Who is doing the damn thing and on the verge of super stardom? and im not talking about the obvious choices. I wanna be objective and more exposure wouldnt hurt... but who do u see as a good model for what Cole should be doing that will take cole next level?

You are already a fan of Cole...he already has your vote right. But u are making a HUGE assumption that the casual listener will give a hell about how often he tweets and the content he shares on social media. You are making another HUGE assumption that if he starts doing more features, ppl will 1. take notice and 2. Hype up the song and/or his verse as the do with Drake... and maybe Kendrick(outside of Control, when else have the masses hyped a feature of his?)

Cole verses on My N Just Made Bail and TKO are show stealers. But u telling me that he gotta campaign for those to get the credit they deserve?

The reason they dont get hyped is either cuz he not buddy buddy with the "tastemakers" or that the records themselves dont hit the mainstream relevance meter.

Dudes said this same thing before BS dropped and what happened? Cole is choosing to appeal to the fans who will be around and not the fickle fans which is why this works for him. No shots but that twitter comment sounds like an entitled fan, Cole doesn't owe you a twitter response and he teens to answer a lot of questions during interviews (hot 97, power 105, etc...) On top of that, every time Cole tweets it gets a lot of attention so I'd say it's working fine for him. Cole has more success marketing the way he wants than most artist who are being told what they can and can't do. When there is a slight decline in his success then I'd be worried but he's good. I'm really glad he's one of the few artist that doesn't drop music all the time and I wish more artist did the same.

any radio spins? we got hardcore cole fans in HERE who dont know bout this song nor made bail. whatever, yall dont wanna see it. if you want better for cole, you'd want him to have more exposure. its simple as that. there is no conceivable way that less exposure will further his career or boost sales or popularity. now im not saying OVERexposure is good, cuz its not. but on a scale of 1-10, cole is literally a 3 on exposure right now.

and btw, 660,000? that is not good for an artist with as much hype behind him as cole. artists like future and migos pass a mill in the first week on youtube. 660k is a good number for an unsigned artist on the comeup. factor that in with its not even just his fans responsible for that, its his fans AND asap rockys AND pusha Ts! On a justin timberlake track!? between all 3 of em, 660k?

You can't use Future and Migos as a example that Cole needs more exposure. :lol: Didn't Cole's last album push like 200,000 the 1st week. Futures got a huge buzz and he still ain't touching those #'s and Migos damn sure ain't. Migos and Future are trends and nothing more, I don't even think their own fans take 'em serious. I already said I'm not even a J Cole fan but I respect him as a rapper and his #'s show his fans don't care if he's not doing 50 features and all on the TV. They know this _ can spit and he makes great music, so they go to his shows and buy his music. Cole is doing a lot better than these turn up and trap rappers that can be replaced right now.

It'll catch up with him soon enough. Same with Kendrick, they aren't Jay Z. It's not about dropping something every week but it's also not about dropping something twice a year either.. They got strong followings now, but over time it will dwindle if this keeps up. They haven't earned that status yet...

Jcole goof'd. Him and drake were def 1-2 back around 09-10. But since then its like Lebron and Darko

any radio spins? we got hardcore cole fans in HERE who dont know bout this song nor made bail. whatever, yall dont wanna see it. if you want better for cole, you'd want him to have more exposure. its simple as that. there is no conceivable way that less exposure will further his career or boost sales or popularity. now im not saying OVERexposure is good, cuz its not. but on a scale of 1-10, cole is literally a 3 on exposure right now.

and btw, 660,000? that is not good for an artist with as much hype behind him as cole. artists like future and migos pass a mill in the first week on youtube. 660k is a good number for an unsigned artist on the comeup. factor that in with its not even just his fans responsible for that, its his fans AND asap rockys AND pusha Ts! On a justin timberlake track!? between all 3 of em, 660k?
You can't use Future and Migos as a example that Cole needs more exposure.
laugh.gif
Didn't Cole's last album push like 200,000 the 1st week. Futures got a huge buzz and he still ain't touching those #'s and Migos damn sure ain't. Migos and Future are trends and nothing more, I don't even think their own fans take 'em serious. I already said I'm not even a J Cole fan but I respect him as a rapper and his #'s show his fans don't care if he's not doing 50 features and all on the TV. They know this _ can spit and he makes great music, so they go to his shows and buy his music. Cole is doing a lot better than these turn up and trap rappers that can be replaced right now.

As surprising as it may sound in the last 2 years the only rappers who have sold more first week are Em, Drake, Jay, and Kanye.

I see where both sides are coming from though. As far as Twitter back when it first started Wiz  was prolly one of the first artists I noticed on there really using it to connect with his fans in a different way. Nowadays you gotta sell yourself and craft a image, if the people really **** with you and buy into what you're about they'll support you 100%. I think Wiz did a good job of using Twitter and those DayTodays to craft a image, this ***** had everybody wanting to smoke papers and wear Chucks for a lil min 
laugh.gif
 He wouldn't be where is today without it.

At the same time that's not the only way of going about it. Seems like Cole wants to market himself as that everyday regular dude. Ya'll might want him to have more exposure but I know people who are fans who like the fact that he's not "all everywhere like the other mainstream artists".

@TEKtheMAESTRO  I think you might be underestimating the value of a loyal fanbase who really buy into your ****. Future does numbers on Youtube but only sold 50k first week and he getting outsold by Iggy right now 
laugh.gif
. I don't think less exposure will help him but I don't think he's in a dire position either. Look at Tyler The Creator and Asap Rocky I know hella dudes who have never heard a song from either of these ****** a day in their lives (Save for maybe ****** Problems) and they sold 90k and 139k first week while dudes like Future and Big Sean teetering around 50-60k.

Last edited:
Cole be ramblin sometimes, a lot of songs on Born Sinner were all over the place, no real subject matter

too many people to reply to. let me summarize everything with this. im not saying cole cant be great without improving his marketing and exposure. im saying he wont reach his GREATEST potential without doing so. as a fan, i want him to climb as high as he can. its as simple as that. is cole good already? yes. undoubtedly so. can he do better? YES. and thats what alot of us want to see.

as for dude implying cole doesnt have bars... ur wilin. cole has dropped a weak bar here or there but to say wut YOURE saying? no sir.

J. Cole isn't a gimmick rapper like most "artists" these days, so he doesn't have to be in the public eye scrambling for as much fame/attention/money as he can before his gimmick is up. 

It also seems like J. Cole doesn't want to be super famous. It seems like he wants to make enough quality music that will in turn enable him to make a quality living, without having to live with the hoop-la that comes with being a "mega-star" like Drake, Kanye, etc. 

I think J. Cole will be just fine using the approach that he does.

It's literally one dude in hear yelling "J Cole needs more exposure". For what though? Loyal fans are better.

As a loyal fan of his. I know he'll give us a bunch of free **** leading up to an album then I'll buy his album. I've been mostly satisfied so far although his albums could be better.

I'd like a spare song here or there but it doesn't bother me. J Cole does't follow the music is disposable approach that every rapper without a fan base has to do. He doesn't need to saturate everything.

I prefer someone taking time, and putting out a QUALITY album than throwing out 20 songs a year and 90% being trash

The only thing that can hurt Cole is putting out bad music but I don't see that happening. Cole has conditioned his fans from jump to accept the artist he is today, the reason these other artist are always dropping music is because they've done this from jump and that's what their fans are expecting.

The mixtape/internet age has spoiled people.

Bruh acting like its been hella years since Cole dropped a album :lol:

Eh...he has been relatively quiet as of lately..But When He Does Drop He Comes Correct..
Quality>>> Quantity
LoL..Gucci mane just dropped 3 Different Collaboration Mixtapes Today..And My Common Sense Tell Me There All 98.3% Trash.

J. Cole isn't a gimmick rapper like most "artists" these days, so he doesn't have to be in the public eye scrambling for as much fame/attention/money as he can before his gimmick is up. 

It also seems like J. Cole doesn't want to be super famous. It seems like he wants to make enough quality music that will in turn enable him to make a quality living, without having to live with the hoop-la that comes with being a "mega-star" like Drake, Kanye, etc. 

I think J. Cole will be just fine using the approach that he does.

This. Loyal fans>>>

Anyone who doesn't think Cole has a mixtape or at least an EP up his sleeve for this summer hasn't caught on to Jermaine yet.

He wouldn't be touring around the country for 1 dollar tickets...spending thousands and thousands of his dollars, weeks of his time, on not promoting jack ****.

Sure he's celebrating the Warm Up... but cmon guys. This guys going to be back to trending on twitter as soon as he hits that first tour stop, then bam. We'll get something. Just trust.

I remember last year he dropped a verse teasing a "warm up 2"... i have a good feeling its coming.
Im calling it now, so quote me.

I got faith... he's going to give us music either during or right after this upcoming summer tour.

Wouldn't even be shocked if it was The Warm Up 2. You guys will see. :smokin

Im just going to be patiently waiting while some other dudes are having heart attacks thinking this dude aint putting out music for 6 more years :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom