Why does J Cole think hiding is gonna be good for his career?? Vol Milk Carton overdue

born sinner was a great album all the way around

I feel he should have pushed sparks will fly as a single

born sinner was a great album all the way around

I feel he should have pushed sparks will fly as a single
I still think 'Villuminati' should've had a Jay-Z verse on it.

Just like Jay should've been on "God's Gift" and not "Mr. Nice Watch"

are you kidding me?....that j.cole was on the radio nonstop months and months of hearing ..."if i said i was in love"

cole gonna drop a album be on the radio for another two years with it 

I think it's already been decided behind closed doors on a business level that Cole won't be a superstar rapper 10 years from now going strong so it don't matter if he goes through these bouts of disappearing anymore. At this point make the best of his situation.

i think youre right. but i ask why? why does he choose to not put himself at that level? like i said before i know jay z aint helping out but jeez...cole got the name and fan base to push himself if he wanted to.
Some ppl aint built for it when you see what you have to be willing to do. Some dudes don't make the right connections at the right time.

Sometimes the ppl with real power stop backing him cuz they want to cut their losses.

I'm a Cole fans so I wouldn't mind being wrong but it doesn't seem hopeful.

What I don't get a dudes saying they want better for Cole. How can you want more for another grown man who himself is very much enjoying his own life and is very successful? Maybe y'all should become rappers and do what you think Cole should do because to say you don't like where his career is, might be the dumbest thing to say regarding an artist you're a fan of. :lol: it's a grown man's life and career that he seems to be enjoying, yet you wanna see him be the greatest he can be? How by selling more records? That's a simple minded view if I've ever seen one. Dude is living out his dream. Kids are starving, dudes are in jail for life, and he out here with hits, women, and money......But he needs to do better :lol:

Last edited:
I think it's already been decided behind closed doors on a business level that Cole won't be a superstar rapper 10 years from now going strong so it don't matter if he goes through these bouts of disappearing anymore. At this point make the best of his situation.

i think youre right. but i ask why? why does he choose to not put himself at that level? like i said before i know jay z aint helping out but jeez...cole got the name and fan base to push himself if he wanted to.

I call BS on all of this...

Cole has been around 5 years now....and he may not be a "superstar" but he is the most successful new rapper after Drake, Nicki Minaj and Kendrick Lamar. Does he have as much relevance in the mainstream, no. But is the mainstream the reason he is were he is now, or is it a loyal fanbase?

To not be relevant...he has albums that have outsold Rick Ross and Kanye West. His albums have outsold every other new rapper who subscribes to your idea of "exposure" and to top it off he doesnt even make MAINSTREAM Music. And I get it... its not just about sales... its about being on peoples minds too right, but I think u guys are ignoring the larger scope of things.

How many rappers are truly relevant and have sustained that interest for a significant amount of time? Its less than 10 right now.

I, like all other fans want to see dude win and be at the top but at the same time...why cant it be done on his terms? After two albums...What happened with Jay-Z? Vol 2 right?...and the rest is history

and to be honest... for Cole to be a traditional "superstar", it will have to be a 180... most of dudes appeal as that he just a normal guy, its only so far the media can push that. His status may not scream superstar but it can make for longevity and quality music... look at Nas.
I gotta say some of this post just bolsters my points.

You go year to year with new rappers that even see some success there aren't many if any. So Cole being in 4th place after 5 years isn't saying much. I mean really giving his backing and the money put behind him it should be more than that honestly. At the very least I know Jay-Z is/was thinking that he shouldn't be below Kendrick Lamar given subject matter.

Nothing in my post spoke on Cole not being relevant. Just not a superstar. He'll be relatively known but I'm specifically talking about breaking in to that exclusive club of Jay, Ye, Wayne, Ross, etc. on a mainstream level. That's usually decided unfortunately in hip hop today in the first two years of their career once they start getting mainstream attention along with their first two album releases. Now yeah not many are gonna reach that, this aint the 90s or mid 2000s anymore but still.. There isn't gonna be somebody recreating Drake's buzz but looking at Kendrick having the whole west behind him shows that a new rapper can sustain consistent support and be up there with the big names.

And yeah, lets look at Nas. Cole's not gonna accomplish half of what he's done the way he's going. It's unfair first off cuz of the time Nas came to prominence. If you just arguing respected rapper sure Cole may be that 10 years from now highly ranked. He may get the internet acclaim but that about it. Keep in mind even Nas almost did the full 180 with IWW.

Jay's a whole different exception given how old he is, when he started and when he snatched his opportunity. He'd still be low level if Big was alive. He might not be where he is today if Pac is alive. He may be a few notches below if Nas ever got his **** together and was dominant. Jay had a lot of breaks on his way to fame but yeah if you want to say Cole might get lucky sure. Kanye, Wayne, Jay, Ross and a few others can die tomorrow, then he can get in a huge beef with Kendrick (don't even have to win) and possibly become the biggest name in rap repping the East/Carolinas if he manages to survive and surpass everybody else that'll be trying to grab the title.

What I don't get a dudes saying they want better for Cole. How can you want more for another grown man who himself is very much enjoying his own life and is very successful? Maybe y'all should become rappers and do what you think Cole should do because to say you don't like where his career is, might be the dumbest thing to say regarding an artist you're a fan of. :lol: it's a grown man's life and career that he seems to be enjoying, yet you wanna see him be the greatest he can be? How by selling more records? That's a simple minded view if I've ever seen one. Dude is living out his dream. Kids are starving, dudes are in jail for life, and he out here with hits, women, and money......But he needs to do better :lol:
This is no different than rooting for a sports player in it's own way. Not hard to grasp.

I keep telling ya'll
Drake = Jay
Cole = Nas
Nas at the start of his career was better than Jay though.

Drake is completely eclipsing Cole to the point few even compare the two. Not to mention I don't see him particularly giving ppl chances to sneak in. Mainstream rap would have to completely shift away from what makes Drake popular and he'd have to fail to adapt to what's new.

I feel it's slight disrespect to Nas as much as it is high praise to Cole to make those parallels. Same with Drake and Jay given Jay has a healthy early catalog of dope albums before they just become whack no substance rap albums like now. Drake only has some early mix tapes showing dope lyricism.

I say let Drake be Drake and let Cole be Cole.

Last edited:
It's not at all the same. The entire point of sports is to win. The entire point of music is enjoyment. If a team is losing they're going to be mad and so are the fans.

In this case Cole seems to be perfectly happy with his hits, money, and women.......he's winning. Yet fans want more for him (more fame) when that's not even what music is about...fans feel some type of way about first week sales when artist barely even get paid from sales.

Two completely different concepts.

When Your team loses you're mad because you're pulling for them to win the game...that's why you watch.

If your favorite artist is making music you enjoy but isn't as buzzing as the next artist...there is no reason to be mad or want more for him, especially if he's happy. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
It's not at all the same. The entire point of sports is to win. The entire point of music is enjoyment. If a team is losing they're going to be mad and so are the fans.

In this case Cole seems to be perfectly happy with his hits, money, and women.......he's winning. Yet fans want more for him (more fame) when that's not even what music is about...fans feel some type of way about first week sales when artist barely even get paid from sales.

When Your team loses you're mad because you're pulling for them to win the game...that's why you watch.

If your favorite artist is making music you enjoy but isn't as buzzing as the next artist...there is no reason to be mad or want more for him, especially if he's happy. Makes no sense.
it makes perfect sense to want to see people you care about do better. even if they dont want better for themselves. arguing against that point would be ignorant.

so as long as someone is happy, you should hope for them to elevate further? cole was happy with the first album... should we not have wanted it to do better overall? make more impact?

music IS about enjoyment. but when an artist drops an album every 2 or 3 years...and nearly nothing else in between...theres not much for you to enjoy. So yall can be on that "im happy to wait" train all you like. personally...i dont like waiting. And when I'm waiting... im thinking "I wish hed drop something." The fact that I'm WAITING on him to drop, means i want him to. So, essentially...all of us WANT him to drop something. Otherwise youd forget about it and whenever it drops, it drops.

And no, I dont want to be a rapper for whoever posted it earlier. However, as a music producer, when i get another chance to work with him...I will try to ask him about it

More fame =/= better, is my point

Especially if the person is thriving and happy without it.

Last edited:
When you don't make gimmick music you don't have to release songs/mixtapes every month. He's one of the top 5 selling rap artists in the country, he'll be just fine.

Nas was a superstar though. If you weren't listening to hiphop and musicor were too young in the 90s I could see how you may think otherwise. But he was a rap superstar, albeit it was brief (95-00).

Cole will never hit that plateau because music is completely different. His style and music making is not what is in trend right now, nas set trends briefly in music in terms of subject matter and content. Cole can't set trends because of others massive influence (drake)

When you don't make gimmick music you don't have to release songs/mixtapes every month. He's one of the top 5 selling rap artists in the country, he'll be just fine.
you guys keep covering for him saying when you dont make gimmick music. comparing him to his direct competition (kendrick lets say) they dont make ANYTHING gimmicky but still release far more music than him. and no u dont have to release a song or mixtape every month.. but how about dropping at least a GUEST verse every 3 months. is that asking too much? yall WAITING for music, but excusing why its not here yet and saying youll wait till basically next year cuz cole says so. suit yourselves. im not with that.

when i like something i want more of it. sooner than later. has nothing to do with gimmicks. everything to do with hes got over 200 songs sitting on a hard drive that none of his fans have heard and wont make the cut for an album but he refuses to drop even 1.

example... the songs he left off of cole world would be AMAZING. one of which even pays homage to nas. real quality music. its too late to put it on an album. and he let the hype for it die down by bigging it up and never dropping it. why not release it to please the fans?

Last edited:
I guess some people don't remember in the 90's rappers used to take 2-5 years in between albums with no mixtapes at all maybe a few features. 

I guess I don't mind waiting because I'm still enjoying the music he's already released along with music from other artist.

I guess the concept is that foreign to you that it real is hard to comprehend.

In the rap game as it is now and basically as it has always been. For a rapper to win awards, go multi-platinum and even diamond, to make more and more money, gain more and more fame, to make moves to further elevate and extend their celebrity and personal wealth is all seen as winning.

Fans have their fav rappers. Root for them, back them in w/e support they choose to. It's because they enjoy the music is why they continue to support the rapper even more more than strictly just looking for music they enjoy.

We're not talking about the point of music. This is the clear disconnect and where you go off with a whole different train of thought.

See this right here is a bit of an assumption. How does Cole seem to be perfectly happy? What are you getting that from? Like is it just cuz he's not complaining that you can say he seems like he's "perfectly happy"? Even if he was happy I'm not sure what that has to with a fans wanting him to be a bigger star and to "win" as far as the standards of being a successful rapper goes which vary. There's winning and then there's winning more.

Again for most ppl this isn't something that hard to understand where it doesn't make sense.
Not if you understand what's being compared.
I can see you don't understand it or grasp this concept.
More fame =/= better, is my point

Especially if the person is thriving and happy without it.
Something that you don't know is the case or not.

Regardless that's what they're choosing to gauge it by, fame, money, constant success.

Just cuz more fame doesn't always equal to better doesn't mean that more fame can't equal to better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom