Why is Detroit is in such a rough shape?

i've been there a couple of times and i'd really say it's all a mind state...

certain places are bad, other places are comin up. if i were going to start a company, that's somewhere i would like to start it.

the real problem is the shrinking population.

You guys don't know the first thing about unions or how the auto industry works.  Unless you live here or have spent some significant time here, you have no idea what the problems of metro Detroit are.  FYI, I live in the metro area, work in the auto industry, and am a proud member of the UAW.  Reading these comments from outsiders on why things are this way are hilarious.

Some GM car assembly workers in Canada make $55/hr which is equivalent or more than what some doctors make...

Just saying...

The UAW was a problem. They were a big problem. Government Motors would have been better off declaring bankruptcy and then renegotiating their contract. That bailout money went to the UAW.

I may not know how unions or the auto industry work but I do know crippling liabilities and cash burn when I see it.

How many people on here talking down on unions really know anything about them? Some people think we're over paid, but our pay and benefits make up only 8.4% of the cost of a vehicle. The things that we fight for, that the uninformed considers greed, are fair wages and benefits for a fair days work for everyone. That includes nonunion members. Everyone on here has benefited from unions directly or indirectly from the thing they've fought for

Weekends without work
All breaks at work, including your lunch breaks
Paid vacation
Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Sick leave
Social Security
Minimum wage
Civil Rights Act/Title VII - prohibits employer discrimination
8-hour work day
Overtime pay
Child labor laws
Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
40-hour work week
Workers’ compensation (workers’ comp)
Unemployment insurance
Pensions
Workplace safety standards and regulations
Employer health care insurance
Collective bargaining rights for employees
Wrongful termination laws
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)
Whistleblower protection laws
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) - prohibits employers from using a lie detector test on an employee
Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
Compensation increases and evaluations (i.e. raises)
Sexual harassment laws
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Holiday pay
Employer dental, life, and vision insurance
Privacy rights
Pregnancy and parental leave
Military leave
The right to strike
Public education for children
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 - requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work
Laws ending sweatshops in the United States

I mean, why do you think most manufacturing doesn't happen in the US anymore? It cost too much.

The vast majority of the blame lies with the corporate leadership of GM, Chrysler, and Ford.

They took their market position for granted and got their ***** handed to them by the Japanese, Europeans, and Koreans. They did not get beat simply because of the cost of labor. 

It eventually had to do with huge liabilities on top of decreasing earnings and market share but they literally designed and built **** for 2 decades. The big 3 weren't competitive on price, design, or reliability. What did they expect? 

I'm not a fan of overbearing unions but the corporate leadership of the big 3 precipitated the meltdown.  They ran the businesses into the ground. Plain and simple. 

Last edited:
How many people on here talking down on unions really know anything about them? Some people think we're over paid, but our pay and benefits make up only 8.4% of the cost of a vehicle. The things that we fight for, that the uninformed considers greed, are fair wages and benefits for a fair days work for everyone. That includes nonunion members. Everyone on here has benefited from unions directly or indirectly from the thing they've fought for

Weekends without work
All breaks at work, including your lunch breaks
Paid vacation
Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Sick leave
Social Security
Minimum wage
Civil Rights Act/Title VII - prohibits employer discrimination
8-hour work day
Overtime pay
Child labor laws
Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
40-hour work week
Workers’ compensation (workers’ comp)
Unemployment insurance
Pensions
Workplace safety standards and regulations
Employer health care insurance
Collective bargaining rights for employees
Wrongful termination laws
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)
Whistleblower protection laws
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) - prohibits employers from using a lie detector test on an employee
Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
Compensation increases and evaluations (i.e. raises)
Sexual harassment laws
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Holiday pay
Employer dental, life, and vision insurance
Privacy rights
Pregnancy and parental leave
Military leave
The right to strike
Public education for children
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 - requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work
Laws ending sweatshops in the United States

We understand that and I personally respect what unions have done in the past, but in all reality, unions have outlived their usefulness

I've been part of a union for 2+ years, never again

probably one of the best discussions ive seen on NT in the last few days

ive always wondered the same thing though :\

How is it misleading when it's there in plain sight?

Because no one is going home with $128,000. They're trying to make it seem as if the workers are getting checks for $2,560 every week when that's not true

Back
Top Bottom