Why is Jerry Rice the GOAT?

All those numbers in an era where it wasnt known as a "passing league" and QBs throwing for 4000+ yds, where DBs were allowed to be more physical against receivers and where Safeties didnt get penalized and flagged for hits to the head. There might have been better athletes, and physical freaks compared to Jerry, but Jerry is the GOAT WR.

All those numbers in an era where it wasnt known as a "passing league" and QBs throwing for 4000+ yds, where DBs were allowed to be more physical against receivers and where Safeties didnt get penalized and flagged for hits to the head. There might have been better athletes, and physical freaks compared to Jerry, but Jerry is the GOAT WR.

Yep

Hutson's accolades are sick as well

I did a class report on him in the 3rd grade. I think I talked to his assistant on the phone to answer the questions. I've seen him at Best Buy too.

Prime Calvin Johnson>every wide receiver ever.

No semblance of a running game or even decent other wide out to keep the pressure off and he's still about to put the most receiving yards in a season ever.

Last edited:
I just came here to say it feels good knowing the top 3 wide receivers of all time played for the 49ers (Rice, Owens, Moss).

if he stay's healthy aj green can be the GOAT , panthers shouldnt of thought twice and got him in 2011 and RG3 in 2012

Prime Calvin Johnson>every wide receiver ever.
No semblance of a running game or even decent other wide out to keep the pressure off and he's still about to put the most receiving yards in a season ever.

LOL stop it

Prime Andre > Prime Calvin

Blessed to have watched the latter half of Rice's career and the entirety of Moss' career.

Without doubt Moss is the more talented WR. Theres never been a WR in the history of the NFL to just come into the league and dominate in the fashion in which he did. Never.

But I'll put it like this. I was in Moms womb when Rice started dominating and looking at colleges by the time he stopped performing at the elite level. :x

I think you just had to be there for Rice, because what stood out to me about him was just his consistency. Consistent greatness - perfect route after perfect route, play after play, game after game, season after season. Dude was 40 and his hairline had receded to the top of his head, yet he was still pulling down 90 receptions.

Rice's GOAT receiver status is pretty much set in stone for me. I'd say Moss was the most talented receiver I've seen. For a time there in Minnesota I'd have said he was the best player in the league who wasn't a QB.

Last edited:
It is set in stone for just about everyone. He was voted the best football player ever by his peers for a reason

LOL stop it

Man I still don't get how people can put Andre over Calvin. Calvin straight up abuses db's, Lions have no other weapons and teams know he is going to get the ball and still can't stop it. Only thing people used to say is Andre goes over the middle and Calvin doesn't. Well over the last few years Calvin has proved that wrong, he is faster, taller, and more physical. IMO he has the ability to go down as the greatest ever. But I don't think it is fair to compare Jerry and him. Jerry relied more on excellent route running and all that, Calvin while his route running has became a lot more polished still out plays players with his physical abilities.

Jerry Rice is definitely the goat. Oh and Jerry wasn't afraid of the middle at all. His quick slant routes were a thing of beauty. The hit he took from Atwater and shook it off was nuts.

Last edited:
I just came here to say it feels good knowing the top 3 wide receivers of all time played for the 49ers (Rice, Owens, Moss).

I was happy that at one point 2 of the 3 best ever were Vikings (Carter and Moss). I can't argue or discredit guys like Calvin who have obviously passed Carter, but it just seems to me that CC is a guy a lot of people will forget about.

LOL stop it

You obviously have no idea what your talking about, Andre has never had more then 9 tds in a season and Calvin right now with 4 games left has 1,428 yds, which is better then all but 2 of Andre's seasons.

Rice's work ethic and game speed is what set him apart from everyone. He wasn't a workout warrior. He was far from it. But in games, he was unstoppable.

As for Randy Moss, he's basically Shaquille O'Neal. He had all the tools to be the best ever, but didn't care enough to be the best.

oh, word? :rolleyes

That's what I thought. Like really? Jerry Rice was great at everything. Work ethnic for days.

Man I still don't get how people can put Andre over Calvin. Calvin straight up abuses db's, Lions have no other weapons and teams know he is going to get the ball and still can't stop it. Only thing people used to say is Andre goes over the middle and Calvin doesn't. Well over the last few years Calvin has proved that wrong, he is faster, taller, and more physical. IMO he has the ability to go down as the greatest ever. But I don't think it is fair to compare Jerry and him. Jerry relied more on excellent route running and all that, Calvin while his route running has became a lot more polished still out plays players with his physical abilities.

Andre is no longer in his prime. Assuming the past 2 seasons has been Calvin's prime, Andre was better at his peak. Obviously Calvins the better WR now.

You obviously have no idea what your talking about, Andre has never had more then 9 tds in a season and Calvin right now with 4 games left has 1,428 yds, which is better then all but 2 of Andre's seasons.

Ahh the good ol fashion I only look at stats argument. Calvin might be puttin up yardage this season, but its far from his most consistent season. Hes third in the league with 8 dropped passes this season. Hes obviously better than Andre now, but Andre in his prime was better than Calvin is right now. Thats not to say Calvin wont get better.

Back
Top Bottom