Why Most Minority Kids Can't Swim....

laugh.gif
smh.gif

[h1]Why Most Minority Kids Can't Swim[/h1] [h2]National Study Parental fear is the main reason many black and Latino children cannot swim[/h2]
With the summer swimming season upon us, USA Swimming, the governing body for competitive swimming, has released a sobering study that found most minority children don't know how to swim.

The study, of more than 2,000 children and parents in six cities from Boston to San Diego, found that nearly 70 percent of African American children and 58 percent of Hispanic children have little or no ability to swim, while the number of white children who cannot swim is a lower — but still troubling — 40 percent. Also, fewer than half the children who said they can swim have taken lessons with certified instructors, which means they may be overestimating their ability.

The strong implication of the study, compiled at the University of Memphis, is that a large percentage of minority children are in danger of drowning, something national statistics bear out. According to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, African American children age 5 to 14 drowned at 3.1 times the rate of white children between 2000 and 2006.

This is tragic, in part because it can be prevented.

The study found the overwhelming reason minority children are not given swimming lessons isn't high cost or lack of access to pools, but their parents' fear of the water.

Link
We were clowning my boy (who's from Jamaica) a few years back when we went to the island....he, and the rest of his family can't swim and they grew up about 100 feet from the beach.  Dude won't go in the water without his floaties.....

laugh.gif
smh.gif

[h1]Why Most Minority Kids Can't Swim[/h1] [h2]National Study Parental fear is the main reason many black and Latino children cannot swim[/h2]
With the summer swimming season upon us, USA Swimming, the governing body for competitive swimming, has released a sobering study that found most minority children don't know how to swim.

The study, of more than 2,000 children and parents in six cities from Boston to San Diego, found that nearly 70 percent of African American children and 58 percent of Hispanic children have little or no ability to swim, while the number of white children who cannot swim is a lower — but still troubling — 40 percent. Also, fewer than half the children who said they can swim have taken lessons with certified instructors, which means they may be overestimating their ability.

The strong implication of the study, compiled at the University of Memphis, is that a large percentage of minority children are in danger of drowning, something national statistics bear out. According to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, African American children age 5 to 14 drowned at 3.1 times the rate of white children between 2000 and 2006.

This is tragic, in part because it can be prevented.

The study found the overwhelming reason minority children are not given swimming lessons isn't high cost or lack of access to pools, but their parents' fear of the water.

Link
We were clowning my boy (who's from Jamaica) a few years back when we went to the island....he, and the rest of his family can't swim and they grew up about 100 feet from the beach.  Dude won't go in the water without his floaties.....

Well I know a lot of my family can't swim because they fear drowning.

I had to teach myself how to swim.

Well I know a lot of my family can't swim because they fear drowning.

I had to teach myself how to swim.

Originally Posted by J23S

I'm black and can't swim

My two little sisters can though. I'm not afraid but I had a bad experience my first time trying to swim. I'm going to try my luck this summer though.

Originally Posted by J23S

I'm black and can't swim

My two little sisters can though. I'm not afraid but I had a bad experience my first time trying to swim. I'm going to try my luck this summer though.

I'm black and I can swim. Mom dukes just threw me in there when I was a kid and I managed to not drown, been dead man's floatin ever since.

Seeing a grown @%+ man with floaties on tho is
smh.gif
roll.gif

EDIT: Funny that OP mentioned Jamaican's, I know a ton of them that can't swim
laugh.gif
. You would think they woulda learned at some point seeing as how the island is surrounded by water

I'm black and I can swim. Mom dukes just threw me in there when I was a kid and I managed to not drown, been dead man's floatin ever since.

Seeing a grown @%+ man with floaties on tho is
smh.gif
roll.gif

EDIT: Funny that OP mentioned Jamaican's, I know a ton of them that can't swim
laugh.gif
. You would think they woulda learned at some point seeing as how the island is surrounded by water

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

uhh

most minority kids can't swim is because they don't have pools in the hood.

THIS

how the trailor park gonna have a pool tho?
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom