Why the All-Ivy League Story Stirs Up Tensions b/w African Immigrants and Black Americans

bingo. affirmative action, that's the term I was thinking of.

how is it discriminatory opinion when its obviously going on? im not going to waste my time researching students that got accepted into ivy league schools and comparing thousands of grades to prove something to you, you can do that yourself. Affirmative action is real, you can keep living in la-la land if you want to

You said you THINK HE MIGHT have been, the way you worded it just sounds like something you added on to the story. Why didn't you just say, he was on the football team according to the guy.

Show me objective evidence of ivy league schools accepting black people with subpar grades then we'll talk, otherwise all of this if simply your own discriminatory opinions. Like I said, Ivy league is not starving for qualified black students like lesser tier schools.
I said I think he might've been because I have no clue if the story was true. For all I know he could've been making the guy up (don't see why he would do that, but people be weird like that sometime :lol:). I didn't ask for the black guys full biography :lol:. If I really wanted to test the validity of it (which would be weird on my part because its not that serious) I could've just pulled up the roster of the football team, wrote down all the names and googled them until one matched to brown or didn't (I could still do that now but that would be pathetic on my part :lol:)

Also says nothing about his SAT score, extracurricular activities, upbringing.....

All we know about this kid is that he's a negro and he plays football.:lol:   Unfortunately this type of racism and one dimensional assessments of the individual follows many very brilliant and very qualified minority students.
man why do you keep calling me a racist? that **** is disrespectful. I care about all human beings equally. I was told the story years ago so forgive me if I don't remember each and every detail of this black kid I never and will most likely never meet. I think he might've either did ok on the SAT or got like a perfect score, I don't remember.

Yea it's just better for you to make assumptions right.

I never said affirmative action wasn't real, I'm saying it's not as much of a factor in ivy league schools because those schools just get all the black kids with ivy league caliber grades. Ivy league schools don't have to settle for black applicants with worse grades.

bdw white women statistically and historically benefit from "affirmative action" than everyone else, but you're probably not tryna hear that.
that's good for the white women, everyone except white men benefit from it which is exactly what I said a few posts above.

at the same time a lot of the black students are given the same opportunities that others have yet choose not to go to school. @LIONBLOOD stay denying it when it is clearly true. there are financial incentives and way more scholarship programs for students that aren't white males (so ya'll don't think im picking on blacks
laugh.gif
). I happened to notice this situation because I am a white male and had a lot less options when applying to college as a result. I mean yeah its good for those other people but im in a situation where im not rich (a lot of people would even consider me lower class) yet I get treated like I am when applying to college (or even a job if/when I choose to get a tax paying job). Its annoying
laugh.gif
So get better scores? I don't know what to tell you bruh. And if so little blacks are going to school, as both you and I concluded. You should be getting in everywhere, the system isn't rigged against you. You do know that these same schools (yes Ivy league) have to include autistic students, and students with various learning disabilities as well. My point isn't to compare blacks or minorities to autistic students, its to point out that the same argument could be made against letting those students in as well, or women ect.... 

Let the hate out, and stop blaming affirmative action for your shortcomings.

NO policy however, is meant to be permanent. There will come a time when Affirmative Action will be counter productive- but that time unfortunately has not come.

Last edited:
So get better scores? I don't know what to tell you bruh. And if so little blacks are going to school, as both you and I concluded. You should be getting in everywhere, the system isn't rigged against you. You do know that these same schools (yes Ivy league) have to include autistic students, and students with various learning disabilities as well. My point isn't to compare blacks or minorities to autistic students, its to point out that the same argument could be made against letting those students in as well, or women ect.... 

Let the hate out, and stop blaming affirmative action on your shortcomings.

NO policy however, is meant to be permanent. There will come a time when Affirmative Action will be counter productive- but that time unfortunately has not come.
well I mean my time is done with that cuz im already in college :lol: but yeah I feel you. The system is rigged somewhat, but so is everything. Its just that so many times minorities are made as the victims when cats don't even have any factual evidence on what the **** happened, yet whites face a lot of the same issues that they do.

@LIONBLOOD I already said multiple times its not only black people, why do you keep ignoring that in my posts? I acknowledged that every group other then white males (basically) are positively affected by affirmative action.

and also, considering black kid had a 90-92 I might as well have been a candidate. I was gonna apply to Harvard but got too lazy to apply. Im lucky I even applied to the schools I did, senior year was not a good year for me :lol:

LOL everyone EXCEPT white men? Dude if nothing but GRADES were used as the only ticket into ivy league schools, it would be like 15 percent white men and nothing but Asians, Africans and other foreigners. :lol:

Stop it.
they don't get in through affirmative action, they get in through "donating" large amounts of money to that specific schools fund (and legacy).

lol and that's NOT an advantage? So buying your way in is ok, but affirmative action is wrong? :lol:
two wrongs don't make a right, I never agreed with that either. **** those rich *** white boys who buy there way through life. At the end of the day those are the type of people that get the high paying jobs but get fired two months later due to having no clue about what they gotta do. That happens because they were paid through school, they did not earn their spot.

lol and that's NOT an advantage? So buying your way in is ok, but affirmative action is wrong? :lol:  

And you missed the point of what I just said, I'm saying white men would fall to the bottom if we were strictly going by academic achievement as the deciding factor for who gets in. Most of these schools would just be 80 percent Asian.
American white men would fall to the bottom. A lot of european white men are not dumbed down by the horrible education system that exists in the US.

:lol: you're a funny dude. You stay attacking me on a personal level when I never once disrespected you.

Then why are you focusing on one wrong? And if I took your approach, I should just assume every white person bought their way in. :lol:

I brought it up, I wasn't focusing on it as the only wrong that exists. Also this article is about a black kid, not a snobby white boy. If it was then that would be a different story.

Um, the Asian foreigners would still  dominate. I'm very familiar with Europe, the education system there is nothing to brag about. :lol:
there are different education systems from country to country, it's not one main system like in the US.

I bet if it were about a snobby white boy, you wouldn't comment on it in a negative way. Just a hunch. :\
wrong hunch. No need to assume anything about me, I haven't done so about you so please give me that courtesy.

Alp, stick to sneakers and reselling. You really brought up affirmative action? You do know that white women are the main beneficiaries of it in employment and education right? This myth that black people are taking seats from white students has to end. If that were true we'd see a lot more people of color on campuses. Those numbers are inflated as well as other racial groups have identified themselves as black in thinking it would help them beat the system.

Alp, stick to sneakers and reselling. You really brought up affirmative action? You do know that white women are the main beneficiaries of it in employment and education right? This myth that black people are taking seats from white students has to end. If that were true we'd see a lot more people of color on campuses. Those numbers are inflated as well as other racial groups have identified themselves as black in thinking it would help them beat the system.
:lol: whatever dude, lionblood even admitted it happens(although not in ivy, and we just spent the last hour back and forth on the subject).

LOL so if I made a thread about a kid who got into Yale who was white, you would start making random assumptions about them buying their way into college? :lol:

Yea  I believe you. >D
I'm not sure. If I'm on nt at the time, read it and feel a certain type of way about it I'll definitely bring it up, why not? I dislike all people equally, I'm not a racist :lol:

I read what he said. No one said it didn't happen. It doesn't happen to the extent that people like you would like to believe. It was never your seat to begin with. Take off the invisible backpack and stick to sneakers.

I read what he said. No one said it didn't happen. It doesn't happen to the extent that people like you would like to believe. It was never your seat to begin with. Take off the invisible backpack and stick to sneakers.
man who are you with all these insinuations about me? I've never talked to you before yet you're assuming a lot about me. Get outta here with that.

Da hairline at dat young age... Why is this a story? Also they allow hats at his school ...
that boy got a 5.0 b. theyd let him diddy bop through the hallways all day.
Is he da only kid in history to get a 5.0.. How's a 5.0 possible ? Is there weighted or class ?
yea its weighted, its a way for some schools to make their curriculum seem better

he probably has a ton of AP classes which would give you higher than a 4.0 at some schools

my hs still doesnt offer anything higher than a 4.0 even if you had all AP classes, and universities know that and take it into account

the only exception i can think of is if a school offered IB courses, but even still that sounds dumb to adjust the 4.0 system just because of those courses

Reading a high school GPA without knowing anything else is pretty useless. Some high schools are better than others

That said, alp has to stop acting like he was not offered a seat at an elite college just because they decided to give it to some minority

Yes. Saying he's not the typical African American kid is stereotypical and offensive.

I'm not mad though. Racists and bigots are all over helping run the world.

I get mad when an injustice occurs...but the actual situation at hand is a win for dude. So it's all good.
good for him but cost the seat of some intelligent white kid or something. blacks can get into ivy league schools way easier than whites which isint right either.
WTF, kid has a 4.0 gpa and is involved in a bunch of extracurriculars, and you discredit him by saying it was easier and allude to him taking the seat to a more qualified white prospect

Cornell- 5-10%e

Dartmouth- 7-9%

Harvard- 6-10%

Yale- 6-11%

Columbia- 7-12%

Brown- 5-9%

Princeton- 7-11%

Penn- 7-9%

those are the percentages of black students at all of the ivy leagues (the numbers vary because they have a population that identifies as two or more races so i idiotically assumed those kids are all black/white mixes to help the black pop out, but if you want the exclusively black population, use the lower number)

there are more asians at ivys than blacks btw (i think an avg of 10-15% asian pop at all schools)

all of the ivys have a 44% or better white population 

and its easier for a black kid to get into an ivy league? 

news flash, private education institutions never had to adhere to affirmative action and dont adhere to affirmative action, they can let whoever they want in and turn whoever they want down without explanation, they just cant exclusively turn someone down because theyre black/asian/etc because that would be discrimination

ivy leagues clearly have a quota for how many blacks they want in their school, so no black kid is taking an intelligent white kids seat, she/he is taking an intelligent black kids seat

First of shout out to homeboy, love to see a young black brother going the damn thing :smokin

Secondly, African American, West Indian immigrants and African immigrants need to stop the pettiness, and try to understand where each other are coming from. And from a dude who grew up in the Caribbean, black immigrants really need to stop the BS of categorizing African American as lazy/ignorant/ etc.

My parents came here from Sudan. I grew up with both the Sudanese and Black American influences. I never had the mentality that some African immigrants have about black folk.

Yes. Saying he's not the typical African American kid is stereotypical and offensive.

I'm not mad though. Racists and bigots are all over helping run the world.

I get mad when an injustice occurs...but the actual situation at hand is a win for dude. So it's all good
good for him but cost the seat of some intelligent white kid or something. blacks can get into ivy league schools way easier than whites which isint right either.

:rofl: shut up

Back
Top Bottom