will I be too old to go back to school?

What's up bros? I just graduated from my university this summer with a BA in journalism. My goal was to be a sports columnist for some newspaper in Toronto but I learned the hard way that this field is extremely low on demand and high in competition. I have a year of experience writing for my university newspaper but that's nothing compared to what most journalist candidates have on their portfolio.

So I was thinking about going back next year and doing an undergrad in buisness and then applying for an mba after. You think this would be a good idea? To be honest, the main reasons I wanna go back is cause its been four months since I graduated and I still can't find a job. I've gotten a couple of interviews but I always mess up cause I'm not good at improvising on the spot. Another reason I wanna go back is because I miss the university atmosphere and learning new things. I'm 23 right now and will be 24 next fall if I go back, which makes me think I might start to feel old and out of place going to class with a bunch of 18 year olds and what not.

What do you guys think? All advice is appreciated.

24?! :lol: bro I'm 26 and I'll be going back for accounting. You're never to old to better yourself and you're def never to old to make money. I had ppl in my class who were in their 40's even had a dude who was about 50 or 60. Do you pleighboi

Plus you'll be more focused hence better grades and you'll be done in no time. All the incoming freshman all they wanna do is party and hang out.

Last edited:
If you go back to school as undergrad after you graduated with a BA can you still used those core classes credits towards the new degree?

Man I'm older then you and finishing up a degree now. I took some years off to gain work experience and now am back at it so I can apply for better jobs.

There's no "too old" but there is such thing as too busy. Going to school is not a side thing nor anything I'd suggest to do part time. When you work full time, kids, ect... School just gets harder to do. Not impossible though

Lol @ being too old at 24...

Pros:

You will make much better grades than everyone else
You get to have young yambs come to you for help (you realize how easy they are)
You don't have to start all the way over. You can use your core classes and start from junior level courses

Cons

Internships might be tough

Alternatives:

Enter into 1.5 year masters program that isn't an MBA (accountancy, fiance, economics,marketing). These are normally masters of science degrees...THEN go into a top tier MBA

Or...

Go directly into the MBA. You don't have to have a business degree to get an MBA.

Word of advice... Don't pay a ton unless they're A. A huge regional player or B. Top 15-20...

Like... Here in Dallas... I wouldn't go to TCU because its not ranked high, plus SMU is the same price, ranked higher, and has more clout...

However... If I wanted to live in Houston or Austin, SMU doesn't really have much pull down there because its more of a Dallas based network.

You have ONE chance at the MBA...meaning if you get one from a small state school... Then you realize its not helping you as much and want to go to UC Berkeley or Wharton ... Then they'll deny you.

Schools that transcend across the nation are Top 10 andivy leagues.

You gotta SMASH the GMAT to get into those top tier schools.

First things first find out what you want to do with your life and make sure the pay and the job is there before you get another degree that is useless to you.

There's no "too old" but there is such thing as too busy. Going to school is not a side thing nor anything I'd suggest to do part time. When you work full time, kids, ect... School just gets harder to do. Not impossible though
I would say yes too undergrad only because there are so many classes and busy work.

However, it gets done...

Masters programs are different. Its a more mature atmosphere and less busy work.

One thing I stress to ANYONE in college... Is SUMMER CLASSES!!

They're so awesome. You get ahead, and the classes 90% of the time are more relaxed than spring and fall.

I'm on pace to graduate in 2 full years.... Part timing it.

One chick I have classes with decided not to take summer school courses a d have to take to a full year and a half more to graduate.

I'm 31 and am the VP of Operations at my company and even with all my hard work, I feel like I lucked out on a lot of opportunities to get here. The pay is great and after having gotten married a couple weeks ago, I decided last year to tie up some "loose ends" and get my business degree. I get my associates in 3 weeks and will continue in the spring to earn my bachelors.

If anything, I really wish I would've did this earlier as I feel like I wasted my 19-25 years just coasting with no goals and I too, thought being mid 20's was "too old" to be in school. Ever since going back though, there's nothing like having older (30+) people in your classes because those are the really motivated types.

Last edited:
OP, youre NEVER too old to go back to school

People should be like trees, and never stop growing. 8)

DO IT !!!!

no youre not to old, put in the work now so you do have to work so hard later. Go for the mba and skip the undergrad if you can

Not at all man...I started my BS in Engineering at 22...this is gonna take at least 5 to 6 years but i never had a second thought.

the only problem is that the older you get, the harder it is for you to focus on studying. There are just way too many other things to worry about as you grow older.

that being said, work hard and it may take shorter time for you to finish your degree.

I know a guy in his mid 30s doing his bachelor's in my college...the guy got screwed over by his ex-wife and wanted to start a new life.

I'm on pace to graduate in 2 full years.... Part timing it.

One chick I have classes with decided not to take summer school courses a d have to take to a full year and a half more to graduate.

I thought you made a post that you graduated and got a Financial Analyst job you wanted. Are you getting your MBA now while working that job?

I thought you made a post that you graduated and got a Financial Analyst job you wanted. Are you getting your MBA now while working that job?
Naw...

I got the financial analyst job ... But I still had a year to graduate.

The only finance experience I had was the 1 year of school. My undergrad was marketing and I had been in retail my entire work career. (Had some small internships here and there)

OP please believe there will always be someone older than you in one of your classes. You are never too old for school

Naw...

I got the financial analyst job ... But I still had a year to graduate.

The only finance experience I had was the 1 year of school. My undergrad was marketing and I had been in retail my entire work career. (Had some small internships here and there)

Is your current employer paying for you to finish school now? That's the only way I'm going back.

All I'm doing now is getting certifications that my job pays for. I am starting to think about going back for my MBA though. I am lucky I was hired in a position where I get a $10K raise every year but that stops after 2016 so I'd like to be equipped with a MBA by then to assist in finding another job.

I don't see going back to school full time as an option so I will have to do the part time thing as well. Most likely will end up taking night classes. The biggest thing for me now is figuring out where I want to go when I do go back, and, of course, getting my employer to pay for it. I think these two things will be related to eachother. Gotta see what my options are.

Thanks for all the positive insight bros. I'm gonna go to my university tomorrow and find out my options for applying to a second degree.

I know it's common knowledge that you're never too old to get educated, but I figured that by the time I complete a second degree and then an mba, I'll be 28-29 and most of my peers at that age will have well established careers by then while I'll just be a fresh grad.

im not sayin this to be a ****...........

i know 3 ppl with journalism degrees, cousins on both side an a female i know

all very smart ppl with big dreams

all struggling

also

its not too late, my female cousin with the degree is now going back to school she is in her 30s......shes been doing 2-3 year stints at various jobs, ATT, Hertz etc

Last edited:
Thanks for all the positive insight bros. I'm gonna go to my university tomorrow and find out my options for applying to a second degree.

I know it's common knowledge that you're never too old to get educated, but I figured that by the time I complete a second degree and then an mba, I'll be 28-29 and most of my peers at that age will have well established careers by then while I'll just be a fresh grad.
you do know the average age of MBA applicants is 28.... Right?

Dont be hasty. Think about debt long and hard. In this economy, pursuing another degree and incurring more debt can put you in a situation worse than you were before when its all said and done. Be thorough in your research and make sure this is something that will make you happy.

Student loans seem like fake money until you're out in the real world and getting exploited by never-ending interest rates.

Back
Top Bottom