Working a 9-5 sucks hOW DO PEOPLE DO THIS

How do you get away with being sick for so long? Must have a legit doctors note/claim or something that's wild.

That's what I've been said. :lol: She goes offline for hours at a time during the middle of the day and basically does the bare minimum while still getting paid more than me.

My take is that humans aren't meant to be slaves for 45 hours a week. It's so mentally torturous. So debilitating.

We know that people end up with bad backs sitting on chairs for that long. We know that people end up depressed doing the same thing for that long.

I feel bad for people who think that is normal. I think if people quit their jobs and started to get creative with their time, they'd be so much happier. Ultimately that's what it's all about.

Start a blog, learn something like baking and advertise it as a service, take up a bar-tending class, etc.

That's my advice.
Agrees!

She goes offline for hours at a time during the middle of the day and basically does the bare minimum while still getting paid more than me.
the "dirty secret" in my office is that no one works a full day...all my coworkers disappear for extended periods of time at some point

...we use MS Lync as our communicator and it acts as a "tatler" by showing when people have gone inactive...my old supervisor would disappear for like 2 hours and my current boss will disappear for 30+ mins every few hours or so...

people should alter the notification settings if they want to make it look like they're available, you can make it stay green even you are not actively on your desktop for several hours, its really not hard 
mean.gif

laugh.gif

Last edited:
people should alter the notification settings if they want to make it look like they're available, you can make it stay green even you are not actively on your desktop for several hours, its really not hard 
mean.gif

laugh.gif

The first thing I do at every job. NT fam, we in dis.

smokin.gif

I can't do this 9-5 **** forever mane. A few weeks ago I was paid 100 bucks to write two paragraphs in my underwear in bed.

I want to live that dream full-time. For now, I'm grinding at the day job :smh:

I can't do this 9-5 **** forever mane. A few weeks ago I was paid 100 bucks to write two paragraphs in my underwear in bed.

I want to live that dream full-time. For now, I'm grinding at the day job
mean.gif
I'm the opposite, i could never do that, working at home is enough of a struggle for me as is...

i like having a designated place and time to work...but doing that in my drawers does sound awesome 

Last edited:
the "dirty secret" in my office is that no one works a full day...all my coworkers disappear for extended periods of time at some point

...we use MS Lync as our communicator and it acts as a "tatler" by showing when people have gone inactive...my old supervisor would disappear for like 2 hours and my current boss will disappear for 30+ mins every few hours or so...

people should alter the notification settings if they want to make it look like they're available, you can make it stay green even you are not actively on your desktop for several hours, its really not hard :smh:  :lol:  
YOU ARE A LEGEND! THANKS!

If you're working a job that pays well and you don't hate it, you've won the game of life. 9-5 pays for all the fun you have from 6 pm- to 8 am

Last edited:
I'm the opposite, i could never do that, working at home is enough of a struggle for me as is...

i like having a designated place and time to work...but doing that in my drawers does sound awesome 

It's not the working at home bit really, it's the fact that I got paid 100 to do what amounted to maybe 3 hours of work, and the work itself is something I love doing and want to do for the rest of my life.

The underwear bit was an added perk--not having to comply with asinine policies and ****. I wouldn't mind doing that in an office environment.

I just wanna do what I love man.

I hate the thought of going to work 5 days a week..

12 hr shifts, work 14-16 days out of the month >

Combination of both is best. Between office politics and the fact we have zero personal space, I barely have a work space as is.

Biggest issue with being in the office are the hours though. Hate having to b.s. my way to 5:30 when I couldve finished all my work by 3.

I'm a fireman and having 4 days off out the week still doesn't seem like enough to me. I don't know how you guys do it man. I could never go back to that life.
How do you make any money though? Do you have another job as well? You must live somewhere like me that has a low cost of living.

Im at work Mon-Fri 9-6 and Sat 10-2 minimum and sometimes longer if I have a customer. Luckily the company I work for is small, family ran and everyone is awesome. I do need to take more time off though.

Last edited:
What frustrates me most about my 9-5 is that I'm in the office every damn day ,but I could literally do 95% of my work from my house. Actually there's a girl who's "sick" who's been working from home (or wherever she is) since December.

I don't "hate" the 9-5 life but I do hate how you're time is controlled. 2-3 days of telework and a salary increase would make it a LOT more tolerable.

have you tried negotiating this with management? might be worth a shot.

half of my company works from home full time. Our office is based in LA but we got people as far out as Texas who all work from home.. Some of them used to work out of the office and ended up keeping their jobs when they moved out of state. My next goal is to negotiate my own telework time (even though I live 10 miles from the office) since everyone else gets to do it.

I know I'm blessed to have landed with a solid company with good fair management, but damn some of yall lives sound miserable. My 9-5 is cake. I show up late everyday and leave early whenever I need to. Very rarely is there enough work for me to take up the entire day so I spend a lot of my time goofing around on the internet or playing hearthstone. Me and my coworkers usually take a long lunch every Friday (sometimes Thursday too) where we go to the bar, and boss is cool with it as long as we arent coming back completely blitzed.

Last edited:

half of my company works from home full time. Our office is based in LA but we got people as far out as Texas who all work from home.. Some of them used to work out of the office and ended up keeping their jobs when they moved out of state. My next goal is to negotiate my own telework time (even though I live 10 miles from the office) since everyone else gets to do it.

I know I'm blessed to have landed with a solid company with good fair management, but damn some of yall lives sound miserable. My 9-5 is cake. I show up late everyday and leave early whenever I need to. Very rarely is there enough work for me to take up the entire day so I spend a lot of my time goofing around on the internet or playing hearthstone. Me and my coworkers usually take a long lunch every Friday (sometimes Thursday too) where we go to the bar, and boss is cool with it as long as we arent coming back completely blitzed.

My boss is completely against people working from home, unless its like a snow emergency and the office is closed.

Hell, me and another girl in my group are the only people in my department (40+) without laptops. And we arent even the lowest level employees. Theres epic levels of foolishness going on at my job, but I aint even tryna get into all that.

My boss is completely against people working from home, unless its like a snow emergency and the office is closed.

Hell, me and another girl in my group are the only people in my department (40+) without laptops. And we arent even the lowest level employees. Theres epic levels of foolishness going on at my job, but I aint even tryna get into all that.

damn i feel for you brother. my last job i worked with idiot managers and supervisors who didnt understand the concept of managing people. it was terrible. thank god i got out of that situation. best of luck to you, hope you find greener pastures sooner than later.

i've been working from home for majority of my career ...especially the past 7 years. with significant stretches where i travelled which was not bad because i was mostly in decent places. now i have a real normal 9-5 gig and its definitely wearing on me. WFH is like a rare occurence and im just not used to this culture.

my favorite MS lync trick is to play a movie....until that movie ends you wont go inactive :smokin

Sounds like you work in Esports

my favorite MS lync trick is to play a movie....until that movie ends you wont go inactive
smokin.gif
not a bad strategy 

i have mine set for green to 2 hours...i think itll even stay green if you're desktop locks you out, which mine does after 20 mins or so...
ALWAYS APPEAR ACTIVE ON MICROSOFT LYNC

February 11, 2014  
b741dc6048b3844ab93f75ec4b4c49a9
Written by Ajay Singh

Sometimes intelligent behavior of a software becomes more trouble than help. One such feature is auto changing status of Microsoft Lync.  It sets your status Away if you leave your system inactive for 5 minutes. There are scenarios when we don’t want this to happen. Lets see how can we change this setting and always appear Active on Lync.

These steps will work with Microsoft Lync  2010 as well as Lync 2013 –

1) Open Options dialog box by clicking on the Gear icon at the top right side of Lync. It will expose Tools> Options. Click on Options.

OpenOptionsDialog.png

2) An Options dialog box will appear on screen. Here on the left hand side you have setting groups like – General, Personal etc. Click on group ‘Status’ here.

3) This will show you all settings related with Status. On right pane of this screen you will see that first two settings are responsible for showing your Lync Status as Inactive and Away. By default this is at 5 minutes. Increase it to a big number as 60 or 90 minutes and your Lync will show ‘Active’ Status for next 90 minutes even if you are not on system.

LyncStatusSettings.png

This change will allow you to practically disable the auto changing Away status of Microsoft Lync and will help you to keep your status always Active.

Note : As mentioned by one of the readers (in below comments), if you do not have admin right to change this setting. A workaround to prevent your system from going into Inactive or Idle status is to use this tiny free tool ‘NoSleep’. It keeps shaking your mouse cursor a bit after a small time interval, thus does not let your system to go into sleep mode. 
simple-smile.png

http://www.techovity.com/always-appear-active-microsoft-lync/

to be honest though, I'm pretty sure my boss and the higher ups know about this type of ****, as i mentioned in an earlier post its the "dirty little secret" of my office...

as long as you are not being blatantly obvious you are not working, nobody says anything for us...

*our job is chill as **** (too chill in my opinion), but advancement is rare and people don't LEARN anything, which creates a problem for lateral mobility if people want out, like me...if i am ever able to get out of here, I'm probably going to have to start on the bottom somewhere else 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom