Your XXL 2017 Freshman Class

2017-xxl-freshman-cover.jpg

It’s that time of year again for the reveal of the new XXL Freshman Class. This one is particularly special because it marks our 10th anniversary of the Freshman franchise. We launched the first issue in 2007 and the Freshman franchise has exploded into popularity over the past decade. And it comes together the same way as when it first started. We talk to everyone we possibly can—industry tastemakers, rappers, our friends, fellow hip-hop heads, the guy working at the bagel shop, whoever—to get their input on who they think should be picked for the class. Then we argue it out as a staff and narrow down the list.

This year’s Freshman Class includes the Bay Area’s Kamaiyah, The Bronx’s A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, Philadelphia’s PnB Rock, Tokyo representer Madeintyo, Atlanta’s Playboi Carti, Portland’s Aminé, Atlanta’s Kap G, Ventura, Calif.’s Kyle; Houston’s Ugly God and 10th Spot winner XXXTentacion.

this is basically a Atlantic/Interscope photo op
laugh.gif
mean.gif

Dead @ Kap G

Last edited:
A Boogie, Madeintyo, and Playboi Carti are the only ones I knew where they were from before actually reading this :lol:

I ain't really mad, a lot of these dudes do have legit buzz

At this point its kinda blatant what's going on tho :lol:

Last edited:
XXL went with people who actually has buzz this year well for the most part :lol:

This. Can't be mad at this list from that standpoint, cause (minus Anime) I've seen all these names a lot even if I haven't heard the music. I'd probably take off Anime and Kamaiyah for 6lack and Famous Dex. I would mention Dreezy, but she probably should have been on there 2 years ago

A boogie, PNB, and Kamaiyah cool. Only person with potential to be big is PNB

I can't really disagree with anyone on here. I've heard of all of these people before.

As for listening to any of them? I'm good. PNB Rock and A Boogie got a few songs I like, Uber Everywhere was cool....everything else tho? Ehh.

Carti and XXX are probably going to be the biggest two on here...and I recognize their fanbases but that **** ain't for me. 

No WSG or Conway smh.

I'm glad Conway, WSG, Tee Grizzley, and Payroll weren't on there. They deserve more than to be surrounded by mostly trolling non-rapping dudes. Plus, they would fit more on some of the previous issues, like 07, 2010, and maybe '13

Last edited:
damn they went FULL weirdo rap :lol:

boogie should've been included with his Co-D Don Q & Conway/westside gunn.

No WSG or Conway smh.

I'm glad Conway, WSG, Tee Grizzley, and Payroll weren't on there. They deserve more than to be surrounded by mostly trolling non-rapping dudes. Plus, they would fit more on some of the previous issues, like 07, 2010, and maybe '13

they'll be there next year guaranteed with da shady/aftermath signing.

they'll just be late like French Montana was.

No tee grizz this list is fufu. He had a bigger song than all of them

Kamaiyah is sonically the best artist up there. Kap G is the best technical rapper

That Xxxtentacion dude :rofl: I've only heard one song ever and it's trash

Might as well do a "XXL Freshman Producers" list, cause they carrying these so called rappers

WSG x Conway Should've def been in..but you know polictics XXL wants to go the pop route esp with XXx..I'm not sold on dude

XXX was the fan vote actually

Also i have no idea who Kami is but i def agree with everyone saying Conway & WSG should be on there. They shoulda been on it last yr honestly. Anderson Paak even mentioned that

Back
Top Bottom