☆☆☆☆ - The Official St.Louis Cardinals 2012 Season thread - ☆☆☆☆

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

The Cards will be fine when Albert leaves. We just have to wait and see what management does signing other free agents.

I think THAT will be a problem.............If albert decides to wait too long, there may not be anyone else to sign, we cant sit back and wait for him to make a decision on where he is gonna go.
Him leaving isnt a big deal...........THAT is the only issue i have with this whole thing.

get a SS and 2nd basemen, put craig in right, berkman at first and a speedy center fielder, and we`re good to go

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

The Cards will be fine when Albert leaves. We just have to wait and see what management does signing other free agents.

I think THAT will be a problem.............If albert decides to wait too long, there may not be anyone else to sign, we cant sit back and wait for him to make a decision on where he is gonna go.
Him leaving isnt a big deal...........THAT is the only issue i have with this whole thing.

get a SS and 2nd basemen, put craig in right, berkman at first and a speedy center fielder, and we`re good to go
JCH3, pac hit the nail on the head. Berkman was given an extension at the end of the season so he can play 1st when Albert bounces. Do you guys watch MLB network? Hot Stove more or less thinks we're going to go after Rollins.

JCH3, pac hit the nail on the head. Berkman was given an extension at the end of the season so he can play 1st when Albert bounces. Do you guys watch MLB network? Hot Stove more or less thinks we're going to go after Rollins.

Naaa....my cable network doesnt have mlb network
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Rollins is alright i guess........bat has been inconsistent lately, his defense is impeccable tho.   and like furcal, has had allot of injuries

I wonder how much he will ask for though

The only reason I brought Craig up at 1B was for the long term.  He can hit, his OF defense is solid, but isn't so good that we can't afford to plug another OF in his place.
I would say Berkman might have 2 years left.  I can't see him playing beyond that.

I don't have MLB Network, I would need to upgrade to the next tier on U-Verse but I don't watch enough TV to justify it.

Our lineup

SS/CF/2nd
Freese (craig)
Berkman
Holliday
Craig (freese)
Molina
SS/CF/2nd
SS/CF/2nd
pitcher

Mike Matheny is our new head coach, and i have absolutely NO idea why...............
frown.gif
frown.gif

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7230926/st-louis-cardinals-name-mike-matheny-team-new-manager

The team announced the move on its Twitter feed. A press conference is scheduled for Monday at 11 a.m., CST at Busch Stadium.

Matheny will follow Tony La Russa who became the first manager in major league history to step down following a season in which he led his team to the World Series title.

The Cardinals defeated the Texas Rangers in seven games to win a National League-best 11th championship and the franchise's second under La Russa.

While Matheny, a former major league catcher, inherits the defending champions, there still remains great uncertainty in St. Louis as slugger Albert Pujols remains available on the free agent market.

I'm not sure what to think. I like Matheny a lot - but having no managerial experience whatsoever isn't a factor?

[h3]
[h3]Matheny takes managerial post for Cardinals[/h3][h4]Former catcher introduced as successor to iconic La Russa[/h4]
By Matthew Leach / MLB.com | 11/14/11 12:01 PM EST

ST. LOUIS -- The Cardinals are betting on character.

One of the most respected -- even revered -- players in the club's recent era, Mike Matheny, was formally introduced as the 49th manager in team history during a news conference at Busch Stadium on Monday. The club announced its decision, which came after fewer than two weeks of deliberation, on Sunday evening.

"Today we begin a new chapter in the history of the St. Louis Cardinals and trust the managerial duties to Mike Matheny," general manager John Mozeliak said. "His leadership, his passion, his intelligence and his work ethic, all of these assets will lead to his success as manager of the Cardinals."

Matheny takes over for Tony La Russa, who retired on Halloween after 16 seasons at the helm of the Cardinals. His hire represents a significant change in direction for an organization that has leaned on experienced managers for the past three decades.

"I'd like to congratulate Tony La Russa on a Hall of Fame career, baseball as a whole and personally, me as a player, for investing in me over the last four years to help make this a reality," Matheny said.

Each of the team's past three full-time managers, La Russa, Joe Torre and %*@@!% Herzog, had previously made the playoffs as a manager before being hired. The last man who didn't fit that profile was another former Gold Glover in St. Louis, Ken Boyer, who managed from 1978-80 after winning five Gold Gloves as a third baseman with the Cardinals.

"I loved to play the game of baseball and I believe all the experiences I've learned up to this point, from the field and off the field, have led me to this point right now, to be what I was made to be," Matheny said. "And as I sit here as the manager of the St. Louis Cardinals, I have to tell you, this is the greatest honor of my life."

A longtime big league catcher, Matheny beat out a diverse group of candidates. The Cardinals interviewed six contenders over the past week, including the team's incumbent third-base coach, Jose Oquendo, and former Red Sox manager Terry Francona, as well as Ryne Sandberg, Joe McEwing and Chris Maloney. All but Matheny had either Major League coaching or managing experience, or Minor League managing experience.

Matheny, 41, has neither. He has served as a special assistant to Mozeliak, and as an instructor in Spring Training, but had yet to coach or manage in pro ball. However, no one in recent Cardinals history has been more highly regarded personally by teammates, coaches or the front office.

"I can't tell [Cardinals fans] how excited I am about this opportunity," Matheny said. "I know there is a high level of expectation, a high level of what has been known as the Cardinal way, and I plan to carry through with it."

Cardinals players responded to the hiring on Sunday.

Matt Holliday texted, "I'm pumped. I love Mike."

On Twitter, David Freese tweeted, "Love the hire. STL should be pumped," while Jon Jay said, "Excited for the chance to play for Mike Matheny."

An alumnus of the University of Michigan, Matheny played the largest portion of his 13-season Major League career with St. Louis, winning three of his four Gold Gloves as a member of the Cardinals, with whom he spent five full seasons. He retired due to the effects of a concussion he suffered in 2006 while playing for the Giants, and also spent parts of five seasons with the Brewers and one with the Blue Jays.

Over his Major League career, Matheny batted .239 with a .293 on-base percentage, a .344 slugging percentage and 67 home runs. He was widely regarded as among the best defensive catchers in the game for much of his career, if not the best, and served as a mentor to current Cards catching star Yadier Molina, who took over for him in 2005.

In recent years, Matheny served as a catching instructor and special assistant in the Cardinals' organization. Even during his playing days, he was considered a candidate to coach or manage at some point, but the leap directly into managing the Cardinals is surely a steep one.

One thing he may offer, though, is continuity for a team that seems likely to bring back the bulk of its roster after winning the World Series. A significant portion of the Cardinals' coaching staff is likely to return, a source said. That includes pitching coach Dave Duncan, who is under contract for 2012 and is known to think very highly of Matheny.

Matheny makes his home in the St. Louis area. He and his wife, Kristen, have five children.

He was the inaugural winner of the Darryl Kile Award, presented by the St. Louis chapter of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. The Kile Award is voted upon by Cardinals players each year and given to the Cardinal who best exemplifies the late pitcher's traits as "a good teammate, a great friend, a fine father and a humble man."

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com.

I admit that I was a little taken back when the announcement was made, however I am going to wait before I form an opinion on the situation. We have to give Matheny the benefit of the doubt and believe that the decision makers knew what they were doing when they hired him.
[/h3]

It seems as if the hire is well liked as far as the players go.......We`ll see how it goes when they start playing and signing other players.

Looks like this thread is about to gain a pulse with the Winter Meetings in full swing. Miami is making the push for Albert, looks like he will reach all of his milestones in a different uniform. Greed is a %!$%#+*!++!#
30t6p3b.gif

Damn, there he goes. I woke up late today, and Facebook has been blowing up.

Overall - while it sucks to see him go, this is a good thing for the Cardinals long term. They can't afford any $250 million contract, that is just insanity. Thanks for the memories Albert, good luck. Now what the hell do I do with this Pujols jersey?

JCH3 wrote:
Damn, there he goes. I woke up late today, and Facebook has been blowing up.

Overall - while it sucks to see him go, this is a good thing for the Cardinals long term. They can't afford any $250 million contract, that is just insanity. Thanks for the memories Albert, good luck. Now what the hell do I do with this Pujols jersey?
I was getting ready for work when the story broke here in Los Angeles. My exact reaction went like
eek.gif
mad.gif
ohwell.gif
tired.gif
. We all know it's best for the Cards though and though the shock of it all cast a shadow of uncertainty, we must realize we are better off without him (long-term).

Now I am wondering what management is going to do because there is quite a bit of money to make smart moves. I've heard that we are shopping Lohse, which is excellent news. The sooner we get rid of him the better. We also need to give Wainwright an extension, letting him get to free-agency would be a disaster. We still have a hole at SS and the bullpen needs work too. I am comfortable with Mott as the closer, now get him some set up and some protection.

I plan on getting rid of all of the Pujols memorabilia that I have collected over the years. I just don't know who would be interested in it.
30t6p3b.gif

justkeep it man.....he will be enshrined as a cardinal when he is done, at least we got 2 chips, that alone is woth keeping the stuff.

i was kind of in shock, but my son was PISSED. ill post a video of it when my computer gets fixed.

now.....signings, where do we go from here?

Maybe I will put in a box and just put it away. You and I reacted the same way, your son is right to be pissed too. I love being a Cardinals fan, there is no other team like us, but I do hate how we are a mid market team and couldn't keep arguably the greatest player you are I will probably ever witness. If he breaks the all time home run record, it's going to sting watch him doing it in an Angels uniform. I do know where we go from here though, strengthening the bullpen, locking up Wainwright and dealing Lohse. Getting another outfielder and upgrading at SS.

heard they offered 5 years first........they knew he wasn't coming back, it was a done deal after that.

Naaa...buster olney said it on espn radio here in stl.

We resigned furcal got two years......only people that won't be back is dotel, albert, rhodes and maybe theriot, but they haven't decided in him yet, he was good off the bench.

I'm good with the Furcal signing and I think the moves made from here on out will be minimal. I just hope Fielder leaves the NL Central.

Thought I'd post this article from ESPN the magazine.

[h1]
[h1]Down to his last strike[/h1][h3]David Freese overcame his own indifference, injuries and three brushes with the law[/h3]
By Molly Knight
ESPN The Magazine

This story appears in the Dec. 26 issue of ESPN The Magazine.

mag_bd_freese_576.jpg

AT 1 A.M. ON A FROSTBITTEN THANKSGIVING MORNING in St. Louis, David Freese waits on a downtown sidewalk while an autograph seeker runs back to her car to look for a Sharpie. Freese and several friends have just left a bar that was half-empty when they arrived an hour earlier but swelled to capacity when patrons began texting their friends that the local boy from Lafayette High-turned-World Series MVP was there. As he sat on a corner bar stool in jeans and a button-down sipping ice water through a straw, the room closed in on him.Suddenly he was the center of it, surrounded by fans, many of them tipsy, edging closer for a photograph, a handshake or a chance to tell him the story of where they were when he hit the triple and then the homer that saved the Cardinals' season. "It's crazy. A couple of months ago, no one knew who he was," said Freese's close friend Mark Sanders as he watched the scene unfold.

It's barely a month since Freese's historic postseason carried the Cards to their 11th championship, so his buddies are still getting used to the idea that he belongs to St. Louis -- now and probably forever. When baseball historians look back on 2011, they will unearth a season defined by unbelievable comebacks from teams down to their last strikes. If they look closer, they will discover that the unlikely hero in the middle of this narrative of resilience had been rehearsing his role since he first faced the idea of becoming an adult. "For so many reasons, I shouldn't have been there," said the 28-year-old third baseman in an interview at Busch Stadium earlier that day. "I shouldn't even be in this game."

On the surface, Freese is referring to his three alcohol-related arrests in the past nine years, but really he's talking about the battle he's fought with a part of himself for much longer. It's the private struggle that makes it impossible for him to take any of his newfound fame for granted. Amid a whirlwind of media demands, including a Tonight Show visit and presenting at the CMA Awards, he takes the time on his walk to the clubhouse to greet every stadium worker he passes by name. He insists he still has a hard time believing a reporter would fly 2,000 miles to talk to him. He says he doesn't want this article to focus on his past mistakes, but during the course of an hourlong conversation, he can't stop himself from circling back to them. The wounds are too fresh to ignore, and it's impossible for him to fully describe what it feels like to be on top of the world without putting it in the context of how dramatically his life has turned around.

Without saying so directly, he cautions not to tell his story so it feels easy to wrap up. Starting with baseball itself. He admits he hasn't always loved it and at times fell back on it simply because it was enforced structure. Always a Cardinals fan, he soured on playing the game as a teenager and quit after his senior year, turning down a scholarship to play at the University of Missouri and instead opting to enroll as a regular student. He pledged Sigma Alpha Epsilon and, like many red-blooded 18-year-olds, developed a fondness for partying. "My GPA was just brutal, and I was headed down the wrong road," Freese says. "Baseball was in the rearview mirror."

So he left Mizzou after a year, moved home with his folks and asked the coach at St. Louis Community College-Meramec for a spot. Just as he was getting back on track in the fall of 2002, he was hit with his first DUI. "It was pretty awful, because things hadn't really changed," says Freese. But he clung to the game. Sanders, who also played baseball, met Freese and was blown away by his instincts. At a summer-ball game, they faced a pitcher with a filthy slider, and after two at-bats, Sanders had struck out twice, badly fooled. Freese was 2-for-2 with two doubles. "So I asked him: 'Is this guy tipping his pitches? How are you doing this?'" says Sanders. "And he tells me he's been listening to the way the catcher's gear squeaks to figure out if he's setting up inside or outside." Sanders followed his lead and in his next at-bat roped a double.

After two years at Meramec, Freese left home for South Alabama and played well enough to be named Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year in 2006. The Padres selected him in the ninth round, just before the Cardinals could take him. "They picked our pockets," says former Cards exec Jeff Luhnow, who was recently hired as the Astros' GM. "He was always a guy we liked, so we kept a close eye on him." When the Padres called the Cardinals about centerfielder Jim Edmonds a year and a half later, St. Louis asked for Freese. A deal was reached, and Cards GM John Mozeliak called Freese to inform him he'd be coming home. "I was sitting in a Burger King and screened the call because I didn't recognize the number," Freese says. "When I heard the message, I thought it was a buddy playing a joke on me."

He eventually called back, spent most of the next two seasons with the Cardinals' Triple-A Memphis team and went into 2010 projected as the Cardinals' third baseman. Then, during the off-season, he was hit with his second DUI. (A public intoxication charge two years earlier had been dropped.)

[+] Enlarge
Jeff Curry/US PresswireDavid Freese twice saved the Cardinals' season in Game 6 and will forever be a St. Louis legend.

When asked for details about the road he was on, Freese declines to answer. He makes it clear that he was embarrassed and distraught about the incident, enough so that he did something behind the scenes to flip the script. He credits Matt Holliday. After the DUI, the Cardinals outfielder told Freese, who is single and prefers living alone, to stick by him, that he wasn't going to let him screw up his gift. Last off-season, the two were always together, hitting, lifting and hanging out at Holliday's house. They talked about life, relationships, busting your !!$ and putting the bad behind you. "That was the greatest thing, because I had a role model to learn from daily," says Freese, who isn't drinking now. "He's a big brother to me -- a great teammate, person, everything. He's a big reason I'm still in this game." Holliday says he took Freese under his wing mostly because he liked him. "He'd had some adversity, sure, but he's a good person and a low-key, humble guy people are drawn to," Holliday says. "He's matured and recognizes what's important."

Throughout his ordeals, there was never any doubt that Freese could hit a baseball hard. He is tall (6'2") and slender for a third baseman, with a quick bat and decent pop. In 604 career at-bats, he's hitting a solid .298/.354/.429 with 15 HRs and 98 RBIs. But freak injuries have kept him off the field for roughly half of his three big league seasons. In 2009, he had left-ankle surgery. In 2010, when a rehab assignment took him to Double-A, he was rounding third base and blew out his right ankle so badly that he needed reconstructive surgery that took eight months to heal. Doctors cleared him for spring training in February but told him they wished his wheel had up to two more months to recover. No worries: A fastball to the hand on May 1 caused him to miss that much. "Breaking my hand actually allowed me to play through the postseason," says Freese. "My ankles got to recover. Funny how things work out."

You'll have to excuse the pitchers from the Phillies, Brewers and Rangers for not laughing after Freese torched them with a .397/.465/.794 line with five home runs while setting or tying playoff records with 21 RBIs, 50 total bases and 25 hits. After going 1-for-9 with six strikeouts vs. Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels> in the first three National League division series games, Freese experienced a Game 4 brain click that changed history. In his first at-bat, he was late on a Roy Oswalt off-speed pitch and knew he didn't have a chance in hell of catching up to his fastball. Watching video in the Busch clubhouse, Freese realized the issue was that he wasn't planting his front foot quickly enough. "From that moment, everything took off," he says. Next at-bat, he doubled to give the Cardinals the lead in the pivotal game. In the sixth, he hit a homer to seal it.

Two hits to help knock out the Phillies would have been enough to elevate Freese to pinup status in baseball-obsessed St. Louis, but he wasn't done. Game 6 of the World Series will be replayed for as long as people search for poetry in sports, but it sure started out ugly. The error-prone Cardinals committed three blunders in the first five innings, including a lazy popup that Freese took off his cap. After the incidents and injuries, a baseball to the noggin during the biggest game of his life seemed appropriate. "When that ball bounced off my head, the front page is flashing through my head saying: Hometown Kid Blows It," recalls Freese.

When the bottom of the ninth began with the Cardinals down two and Neftali Feliz on the mound, it looked as if all that was left was the defeathering. With two on and one out, Freese watched from the on-deck circle as Allen Craig struck out looking. "I'm walking up to the plate going, Geez, what an awesome spot to be in, never having faced Feliz in my life, and that guy is just nasty," Freese says. The flame-throwing righty started Freese off with two sliders. "I'm thinking, This is not fun," he says. Freese swung through the third pitch, a fastball that allowed him to adjust his timing. Down 1 and 2, he looked for a fastball middle away and got it. Rightfielder Nelson Cruz was playing in. Off the bat Freese heard the home crowd erupt, but he was running so hard he didn't see the play. When they erupted again, he knew it had fallen. He hit third base on his knees. "I knew where my family was sitting, so I looked up and saw my mom losing her mind," Freese says.

What happened next was bonkers. Leading off the 11th, Freese told himself to just get on. He worked the count to 3 and 0 against Mark Lowe but realized there was no way he'd get the green light. The next pitch was a ball the umpire called a strike, which kept Freese in the batter's box, albeit peeved. He took a good cut on 3 and 1 but missed. Down to his last strike, again, Freese remembered Lowe had struck out teammate Lance Berkman on a devastating changeup earlier in the series. He hadn't seen it yet, so he geared up for it. "People ask if I was trying to hit a home run, but every time in my life I've tried to do that, I've grounded out to third," says Freese. "I was just trying to put the ball in play." He did, sort of. It landed over the centerfield fence. The Cardinals took the Series the next night, and Freese's life changed again.

Now children approach him nervously for his signature in sandwich shops. Cubs fans confess they find him awesome and then swear him to secrecy. Free pizza comes his way. At a recent boxing event benefiting local firefighters and police officers at the Scottrade Center, a bodyguard and velvet VIP rope weren't enough to keep the masses around him from creating a fire hazard.

It would be easy for Freese's ego to spin off this planet after the October he just had, but all the muck he's waded through doesn't allow that. His redemption story would have had book publishers and motivational-speaker agents lined up, but he wants that stuff kept private, locked up, far from where it could hurt him again. He won't be anyone's poster boy. He wants to be the guy in the cold waiting for a fan to return so he can sign, the guy to count on to battle back with two strikes.

[/h1]

ST. LOUIS • The Cardinals intensified their talks with the agent for switch-hitting outfielder Carlos Beltran late Wednesday night and into Thursday morning. Beltran has been a target of the team since Albert Pujols signed with the Los Angeles Angels.

The Cleveland Indians joined the handful of teams that are making bids for the free agent and former All-Star, according to two reports late Wednesday night and later confirmed by the Post-Dispatch.

Beltran is expected to make a decision before Christmas on Sunday on where he'll play in 2012. A source familiar with the negotations said the offers that have been presented Beltran are varied and that his decisions could come down to where he wants to play as much as how much he wants to play for. It has been reported that Beltran, who will turn 35 in April, is weighing both two- and three-year offers.

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney and CBS Sports' Scott Miller reported late Wednesday night that the Indians had lunged into the picture.

Read more: [url=http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/cardinals-talks-with-beltran-intensify/article_d74d0942-2cb2-11e1-8aa9-001a4bcf6878.html#ixzz1hI2XMakW]http://www.stltoday.com/s...f6878.html#ixzz1hI2XMakW[/url]
If the money is right I hope he chooses St. Louis.

• .....nice fill in until craig comes back and spells him and jay in center.
now we need a pitcher to replace westbrook or lohse

2-26....not bad

furcal/shu
freese/craig/beltran
holliday
berk
beltran/freese/craig
molina
shu/furcal
2nd baseman
pitcher

not a bad lineup........we are going to have to manufacture more runs this year without alberts power, but we will score runs

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Beltran reaches two-year deal with Cards[/h3]
By Matthew Leach / MLB.com | 12/22/11 8:40 PM EST

ST. LOUIS -- A familiar face on the other side of the diamond, Carlos Beltran is going to be on the Cardinals' side.

The six-time All-Star agreed to terms on a two-year contract with St. Louis on Thursday evening, pending a physical. According to Yahoo.com, the deal is worth $25 million.

Beltran has played for the Royals, Astros, Mets and Giants in a 14-year Major League career, finishing the 2011 season with San Francisco. He was one of the top remaining free agents left on the market and would represent one of the Cardinals' biggest external signings in several years.

"Beltran is a proven outfielder who obviously has been a tough opponent against the Cardinals for many years," said Cardinals' senior vice president John Mozeliak in a statement.  "It is going to be nice to have his bat and competitive nature working for us instead of on the other side of the field for the next couple of years."

The last player to sign with the Cardinals for more than two years without already being in the organization was Adam Kennedy in November of 2006. The last time St. Louis gave more than $20 million guaranteed to a free agent who was not already in the organization was the winter of 2001-2002, when it signed Tino Martinez and Jason Isringhausen.

A switch-hitting outfielder, Beltran has one of baseball's most well-rounded offensive games. He is a lifetime .283 hitter with both on-base ability (a career .361 average) and power (.496 slugging percentage). He's one of the most efficient base-stealers in Major League history, with 293 steals in 334 attempts for an 87.7 percent success rate. In 2011, he put up a combined .300/.385/.525 line in 142 games with the Mets and Giants.

The 34-year-old native of Puerto Rico will add depth to a Cardinals lineup that will be without Albert Pujols in 2012. Pujols signed with the Angels as a free agent earlier in December.

Beltran, a three-time Gold Glove winner in center field, moved to right field in 2011 as he made his way back to full strength from knee surgery. He will likely start the 2011 season in right field, with Lance Berkman moving to first base, while Allen Craig is out due to his own offseason knee operation.

Once Craig comes back, Beltran would probably still play plenty of right field. But he also could get more time in center field, spelling Jon Jay against left-handed pitchers and allowing new manager Mike Matheny a great deal of flexibility in making out his lineup.

Best known in St. Louis as the victim of Adam Wainwright's strikeout that ended the 2006 National League Championship Series, Beltran has an extensive history with the Redbirds. He also starred in the 2004 NLCS in which the Cards edged the Astros in seven games, and faced them both as an NL player as well as in Interleague Play, when he was with Kansas City.

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Obviously, You're Not a Golfer and follow him on Twitter at @MatthewHLeach. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I really like this acquisition for our club, let's just hope Carlos can remain healthy for these two seasons. We're not finished guys, Lohse needs to be traded A.S.A.P!!

Back
Top Bottom