☆☆ 2012 NBA Finals ☆☆ The King has been crowned; Heat win 2012 NBA Finals! Bron Finals MVP.

Zach Lowe and Tom Haberstroh examined the issue of back-to-back-to-back games awhile back.
The most grueling stretches of 1998-99

When people bring up the alleged sloppiness of the 1998-99 lockout-shortened season (sloppiness that is more than alleged, unfortunately), they tend to bring up the dreaded back-to-back-to-back, a stretch of three games in three nights that doesn’t exist in a normal 82-game season. The NBA had use the back-to-back-to-back in 1999 to squeeze 50 games into three months.

Many have studied the good ol’ back-to-back, with Tom Haberstroh of ESPN.com recently looking at which teams struggled most — and the few that actually thrived — playing on consecutive nights in 2010-11. He found that teams, on average, played about three points per 100 possessions worse on the second night of a back-to-back, and that defense typically suffered more than offense.

Just for kicks, I decided to take a quick look what happened on back-to-back-to-backs in 1999, to see if we’ll be in for a bunch of super-ugly games featuring exhausted players should the league resort again to a compressed season. The basic findings:

• There actually weren’t too many back-to-back-back stretches — 64 in all among the league’s 29 teams, or about two such stretches per team. Of course, two back-to-back-to-back stretches amounts to six games, which in 1999 accounted for 12 percent of a team’s 50-game schedule — a significant chunk. Pity the 13 teams who had three such stretches, accounting for nearly 20 percent of their total schedule.

• Teams playing the third game of a back-to-back-to-back — when they’d be most fatigued, in theory — went a combined 28-36, for a winning percentage of about .438. Interestingly, that winning percentage is almost exactly what we expect from teams playing on the second end of a back-to-back in an 82-game season, according to the most comprehensive long-term studies. So no big change there.

• As I wrote on Thursday, the average team scored (and thus allowed) 102.1 points per 100 possessions in 1998-99, the worst overall scoring rate in any season since the league installed the three-point line. Turns out, that didn’t change much in this (very small) sample of back-to-back-to-backs. Teams on the final night of such stretches averaged about 102.6 points per 100 possessions, according to Basketball-Reference. I’d have to dig a little deeper to see if any of the other fatigue indicators (turnovers, fouls, a slower pace) popped up in these games, but the overall scoring output for offenses remained the same.

• The drop-off happened on defense, again mirroring what Haberstroh found for teams on back-to-backs last season. Teams at the end of these dreaded 1999 stretches allowed about 103.1 points allowed per 100 possessions, which amounted to somewhere around an extra 1.2 points per game given the average pace of play that season. That’s not a huge change, but it’s something.

• This might be the thing to watch if we go down this road again: There were more blowouts in these games than we’d expect on an average night of NBA action. The average scoring margin jumped significantly, with winners outscoring losers by about 13 points per 100 possessions. That’s nearly two full points higher than the average per-possession scoring gap last season, according to Neil Paine, one of the wizards behind Basketball-Reference.

But wait! It turns out the fatigued teams were just as likely as more rested teams to come out on the winning side of these lop-sided blowouts. There is no rhyme or reason to any of this, which probably has to do with the small sample size involved and the general wackiness of the 1999 season.

• The league could not matchup teams so that rest was equal, at least when these triple-game stretches were concerned. Only four of these 64 games featured two teams each playing on the final end of a back-to-back-to-back. The league schedule is a complicated thing, and they did make up for some of this rest differential by giving the victims — those teams playing their third straight game against a more rested club — a game or two in the opposite scenario.

To sum it up: Playing on the third straight night of a back-to-back-to-back stretch was a disadvantage in 1999, but perhaps not quite as big of one as we’d expect. Let’s hope we don’t have to look at how this plays out in 2012.

Link
Originally Posted by Scientific Method

It's playoff rematches, contentious matchups in fact, except for the Lakers Bulls. That's the game that makes little sense. Two big markets, so I guess you want to include them, but I would have either said Lakers vs Mavericks (extra salt bringing the winners into the other team's building) then and given you like a Grizzlies vs Thunder. Well I guess the Mavericks have to get their rings though and we'll get to see if Cuban followed through on his "something else too" promised he brainstormed about out loud where it was sounding like he was thinking cars or something for every player but couldn't figure out how it would be legal and not a cap violation.
@mcuban Almost there Mavs fans ! Can't wait to present solid gold commemorative mouse pads I got the guys !!

Just realized that the Heat will be in the building while the Mavs get their "rings" and raise the banner
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Right?

I hope the Heat blow the mavs out on christmas day and show that this year is different.

http://www.jamalcrawford.org/
 Jamal Crawford and A PLUS Youth Program are presenting the Jamal Crawford H206 Classic, a charity basketball game featuring current professional basketball athletes originally from Seattle, playing against professionals from around the country. The game will take place on Thursday, December 15, 2011 at 7:30 p.m. at the Alaska Airlines Arena at Hec Edmundson Pavilion at the University of Washington. 

Participating players include Brandon Jennings, John Wall, LaMarcus Aldridge, Baron Davis, Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Demar Derozen, Isaiah Thomas, Jamal Crawford, Spencer Hawes, Nate Robinson, Terrance Williams, Jason Terry, Martell Webster, and many more will be announced in the days leading up to the game via Hoops 206 Charity Basketball Classic Facebook page.

Please see image below for map of available seating. All seats are General Admission and are seated on a first come first serve basis. 

Are most charity games cancelled? Any word on this? Players usually start training camps a month prior to the season right?

all those games will be canceled. training camp starts the 9th, i dont see players leaving camp or anything just do a game when they will start getting paid now
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MoNeyLiCiouS

are those times eastern or pacific?

Miami vs Dallas shouldve been the last/main game instead of Lakers vs Bulls. If it were up to me I wouldve gone with Lakers vs Miami again.

Eastern, and I agree.

Don't like to nitpick but the games should've started at 2:30/3:00. Everyone is home, there should be a primetime evening game.

the NFL has a primetime game xmas night. not sure if the NBA is going to try and go head to head with them.

with everything that has gone one they MUST keep the Xmas schedule the same with all the stars and big name teams and open the season up that way.

Maaan, I am hoping for massive sales on NBA.com to try to placate the fans. Need to get my Pistons' gear up.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

the NFL has a primetime game xmas night. not sure if the NBA is going to try and go head to head with them.

with everything that has gone one they MUST keep the Xmas schedule the same with all the stars and big name teams and open the season up that way.
They will. Derrick Rose and Kobe Bryant is big enough to sustain viewers. Even if it was Mavs/Heat, it'd still get huge ratings for it being opening night. Christmas night will be all NBA.

Originally Posted by Old English

Maaan, I am hoping for massive sales on NBA.com to try to placate the fans. Need to get my Pistons' gear up.

NBA.com never has good sales so dont count it. the most they ever have is 15% which is worthless.

I wish Shaq was still playing, i would love to see him on a back to back to back
roll.gif

With all these games so close together Boozer wont make it past the second week
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by jmause3

I wish Shaq was still playing, i would love to see him on a back to back to back
roll.gif
See him? You would see him in one of three games in a back to back to back
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Old English

Dude, Pistons be GIVING away stuff, not on the nba.com site but I think it's called Palace Locker Room or something. I literally remember paying .99 cents for swingmans, got road and away, and Ben Wallace finals swingmans was like 2.99. %@++ was ridiculous

Curious to see what team takes advantage of the amnesty clause first and what big name if any is the first to be refurbished

Originally Posted by jmause3

roll.gif

With all these games so close together Boozer wont make it past the second week
30t6p3b.gif

Scares me to death, plus Noah has been injury prone the last few years

Back
Top Bottom