Ω Godfather of Harlem on EPIX Sun 10pm Ω Starring Forest Whittaker

Godfather of Harlem is dope but I think almost everyone agrees that they should have used music from that era. After an intense first couple of minutes in the 60s you get thrown out of rhythm by Rick Ross in the opening credits in every episode, feels kinda weird.

most music from that area wasnt gritty , so its hard to convey feeling during that time period with most music...... they could use some soulful music/ conscious music from the 70's/ 80's alongside the music they currently have

My only issue is them playing hip hop during scenes. It just don't fit. :lol:

Frank Lucas exaggerated a lot of his story so they might not show him as Bumpy's lil man.
I guess I am in the minority I don't mind the music at all, not really trying to hear damn swing music. Also might have cost a bit to get the rights to music of that time. They keep mentioning Sinatra I know his estate isn't giving out any music without some money. I think perhaps some soulful music might be able to fill in, however you want to hear some soulfoul R&B music when Bumpy slicing dudes neck open. I want to hear something gritty like DMX in the background talking about he the ebola virus all of his dudes is pirates.

I guess I am in the minority I don't mind the music at all, not really trying to hear damn swing music. Also might have cost a bit to get the rights to music of that time. They keep mentioning Sinatra I know his estate isn't giving out any music without some money. I think perhaps some soulful music might be able to fill in, however you want to hear some soulfoul R&B music when Bumpy slicing dudes neck open. I want to hear something gritty like DMX in the background talking about he the ebola virus all of his dudes is pirates.

That's what gangsters back then was listening to. It would be accurate for that time period. Dudes would do drug deals, murder, and get in the car and listen to Sam Cooke. Playing hip hop makes it sound forced as opposed to being authentic.

Last edited:
Godfather, Goodfellas, Hoodlum, every gangster movie had music from that time period.

It wasn't gritty hip hop in the 60's and 70's. :lol:

They shoulda tried to get Anderson Paak and Leon Bridges to do some songs like that era if they couldn't get songs cleared.

To me it looked like a specific choice to get rappers of today to do the soundtrack. Not that they couldn't clear music from that era. One of the producere is behind that.

I dont mind it much as long as I can't tell who it is but when its some whack rapper like Ross it can be a bit distracting.

Damn Mayme a ho out her ****ing Doug Jones while telling Bumpy to not have his women call the house.

Dude playing Cassius looked nothing like him.

Godfather, Goodfellas, Hoodlum, every gangster movie had music from that time period.

It wasn't gritty hip hop in the 60's and 70's. :lol:

They shoulda tried to get Anderson Paak and Leon Bridges to do some songs like that era if they couldn't get songs cleared.
Word. How I felt when they played Jay z in the Gatsby movie with DiCaprio. Ish was corny to me

Damn Mayme a ho out her ****ing Doug Jones while telling Bumpy to not have his women call the house.

Dude playing Cassius looked nothing like him.

surprised she hoeing out here. Thought she was down smh. She probably think Bump out here doing his own thing. Makes you wonder how and what she was doing while he was locked up.

they could of had some smooth sampled music from that time with current artist but yeah soundtrack seems off.

I think they depicted Cassius Clay good enough. Def the best show on TV now next to Succession.

surprised she hoeing out here. Thought she was down smh. She probably think Bump out here doing his own thing. Makes you wonder how and what she was doing while he was locked up.
I'm wondering if ever since he got out of prison and is already older he simply aint hitting it right.

From that small scene I assume Mayme was smashing Jones while Bunpy was locked up.

I'm wondering if ever since he got out of prison and is already older he simply aint hitting it right.

From that small scene I assume Mayme was smashing Jones while Bunpy was locked up.

I’m thinking this too. He probably isn’t and is too wrapped up in his day to day business and dealings and older.

Got a feeling Bump finds out from someone and then goes right back to his old thing.

I think the soundtrack has been cool. Cassius and Malcolm are great casting. This show is exceeding the hype so far :pimp:

I think the soundtrack has been cool. Cassius and Malcolm are great casting. This show is exceeding the hype so far :pimp:
Yeah re-watched with the wife series so far no the rap is cool. When they need period specific music they play it.
guapo guapo guapo, smh ...
Should have known dude always been dirty ever since Carlito's Way, he put Benny Blanco from the Bronx onto Carlito. I will say IDGAF about the musician dude just asking for the *** whoopin every episode.

Just binged this today. Such a dope a show. Forrest Whitaker did a great job, as well as the the actor who played Malcolm X. Is the show all factual? Did Bumpy and Muhammad Ali actually have an interaction? That was pretty cool to see.

Also Mayme is fine as hell!

Back
Top Bottom