⚽️THE FOOTY THREAD:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised no one has mentioned Mbappe’s comments on South American football. This is his quote: “Argentina and Brazil are not playing top games to qualify for the World Cup 2022. Football is not as developed as it is in Europe and it comes from watching the last World Cup. ”

He is way off base here. Every South American nation plays each other twice during World Cup qualifiers. France played Ukraine, Finland, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Kazakhstan to qualify :rolleyes

example of that French racism people were talking about the other day.
What does racism have to do with football elitism? He didn't say anything racist. Hell, former Argentine international and Liverpool player Maxi Rodriguez said echoed similar sentiments when he left Liverpool to go back to Argentina to help "rescue" the game. And this was in 2012.

Someone saying this country isn't as good in football or their quality of football isn't as good as ours isn't the same as someone making monkey chants and throwing bananas at you or threatening to kill you cause you're of another race.

Screenshot_20220525-132450_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
This is about to be wild if PSG really about to ask for MBappe's approval on player moves?

Man's got enough time to see what the transfer market is like...ya know decide what tactics he wants to deploy...and then see who fits those tactics positionally...and ask management to make moves

This is about to be wild if PSG really about to ask for MBappe's approval on player moves?

Man's got enough time to see what the transfer market is like...ya know decide what tactics he wants to deploy...and then see who fits those tactics positionally...and ask management to make moves

considering he doesn't even have to play in ligue 1 and they'd still win it, I'm sure he has enough free time. only thing he has to worry about is CL and national team stuff. plenty of time to manage the club :lol:

What does racism have to do with football elitism? He didn't say anything racist. Hell, former Argentine international and Liverpool player Maxi Rodriguez said echoed similar sentiments when he left Liverpool to go back to Argentina to help "rescue" the game. And this was in 2012.

Someone saying this country isn't as good in football or their quality of football isn't as good as ours isn't the same as someone making monkey chants and throwing bananas at you or threatening to kill you cause you're of another race.

it's a racist talking point, no reason for him to even say that.

a player saying things about his own country is not the same.

Europeans have always looked down on the global south this is no different.

it's a racist talking point, no reason for him to even say that.

a player saying things about his own country is not the same.

Europeans have always looked down on the global south this is no different.
We talk about the quality of football in various countries everyday. We laughed when Italy lost to Northern Macedonia. That is what you equate to racism? MBappe is a black man and the Brazilian team has a bunch of Afro Brazilians, but somehow he's being racist for saying the quality of football isn't good in his opinion.

Last edited:

I wouldn’t call it racist but it comes from a place of elitism and ignorance. How is football in Argentina and Brazil less developed when European clubs are poaching more and more of these kids at a younger age? Maxi Rodriguez’s comments are a byproduct of that. Our domestic leagues suffer because quality players that used to leave in their early to mid-20s are leaving as teenagers and only coming back home when they’re washed.

If our football was inferior, there wouldn’t be so many latin players in Europe. Take any big club in Europe and you’ll find an Argentine or Brazilian player on that roster.

I wouldn’t call it racist but it comes from a place of elitism and ignorance. How is football in Argentina and Brazil less developed when European clubs are poaching more and more of these kids at a younger age? Maxi Rodriguez’s comments are a byproduct of that. Our domestic leagues suffer because quality players that used to leave in their early to mid-20s are leaving as teenagers and only coming back home when they’re washed.

If our football was inferior, there wouldn’t be so many latin players in Europe. Take any big club in Europe and you’ll find an Argentine or Brazilian player on that roster.
And thats why in my initial post I said it could be elitism, but hombre is claiming it's 'French racism" when it had nothing to do with the conversation DripNick DripNick and I were having. We discussed racism in France towards its minority occupants. HNL HI HNL HI claimed a black French man is being racist towards 2 countries cause he said in his opinion the football wasn't comparable. One of which team is predominantly black people. Do you see how absurd that sounds?

In NY a white guy traveled hundreds of miles to a predominantly black neighborhood, stalk the citizens and murder them in mass because they are black due to his racist ideology , but somehow discussing the quality of football in other country is on par cause couple feelings are hurt that you don't think their team is nice.

South America only has 2 countries capable of winning a World Cup. Europe always has at least 4.

But you guys used to still win them all the time. It didn’t matter.

Then Europe leveled up in the 2000’s and it’s been a breeze for them since.

I really don’t get what Mbappe said being so wrong.

I really don’t get what Mbappe said being so wrong.

What’s wrong is the notion that South American qualifiers are a cake walk. Again, every South American nation plays each other twice during World Cup qualifiers. France, meanwhile, had to play Ukraine, Finland, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Kazakhstan to qualify. You don’t see the irony there?

I’m not surprised you agree with him though. You’re one of the many Europeans that believes the Copa America is a joke of a tournament.

He’s also wrong with the notion that South American football is less developed when every big European club, including his own, features stars from Argentina and Brazil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom