⚽️The Footy Thread: German Super Cup, International Champions Cup, Copa Libertadores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teams name is really the “antlers”? :lol:
Kashima translates to Deer Island. I think they might be the most successful J League teams since the league's creation in in the early 90s.

I actually watch the league from time to time thru my Japanese channels. It's actually quite entertaining. I find it much better than mls...

seems like an unfair assumption that Zidane can't manage a team from the ground up. Has he ever had the chance? I honestly think if he is willing you hire him as soon as you can and then back him and let him build a team. I can obviously see the argument for Poch and i don't think anyone would be mad at either getting the job. But using Zidanes work as Real as "thats all he can do" seems short sighted.

seems like an unfair assumption that Zidane can't manage a team from the ground up. Has he ever had the chance? I honestly think if he is willing you hire him as soon as you can and then back him and let him build a team. I can obviously see the argument for Poch and i don't think anyone would be mad at either getting the job. But using Zidanes work as Real as "thats all he can do" seems short sighted.

I wouldn’t write him off as being unable to do it. I just think he’s above taking over Woodward and Mou’s dumpster fire. Dude is a winner. And I personally enjoy believing in the magic aura of Zizou. The magic would wear off if I were to see him manage a side that was reprogramming itself from Mou habits, and taking Ls to the likes of Bournemouth in the process.

Zizou is a classy, cultured, elegant man. And I wouldn’t want to see him manage a team that’s incapable of playing football that represents those aspects of his personality.

:rofl:

jose.jpg

Very valid point. I think a lot of us are basing it off of the fact, he knew there was a rebuild needed and decided to part ways in Madrid . One could argue he also knew Madrid’s base has zero patience and saw the writing on the wall. Either way you make a very interesting argument. I don’t think United has the leeway to see if zidane can do a job. The next appointment has to be the right manager or we run the risk of running into a Liverpool (no shots) like situation

Kashima translates to Deer Island. I think they might be the most successful J League teams since the league's creation in in the early 90s.

I actually watch the league from time to time thru my Japanese channels. It's actually quite entertaining. I find it much better than mls...

tenor.gif

Name makes much more sense now. Learn something new everyday

Very valid point. I think a lot of us are basing it off of the fact, he knew there was a rebuild needed and decided to part ways in Madrid . One could argue he also knew Madrid’s base has zero patience and saw the writing on the wall. Either way you make a very interesting argument. I don’t think United has the leeway to see if zidane can do a job. The next appointment has to be the right manager or we run the risk of running into a Liverpool (no shots) like situation

But hasn’t every signing after David Moyes (especially the Jose appointment) had urgency of being the “right manager” to prevent that risk?

United seem to be in a repeat cycle of panic to win the league and it’s crashed harder and harder each season because they get more desperate every season to “get it right”

They might need to pull a 76ers and start completely from the ground up

Last edited:
I don't really buy in to the idea of a full rebuild being needed when you have the likes of Real and Chelsea sacking managers every other season and still competing for top honors. You're telling me that arguably the richest club around needs a 3-4 rebuild every time to compete?

What the club needs is a good restructuring up top and getting away from the whole notion that a manger should have total control over club dealings moreso than a total rebuild.

Most modern top clubs have someone in a role dedicated to handling recruitment who works in tandem with the manager to build a squad to help execute whatever coherent long term strategy/plan they've come up with. United seems to be only club where managers expect to be given the power to sign any and everyone they want on a whim regardless of whether it lines up with the clubs long term aims or strategy

Need footy men back in charge of footy related decisions...

I don't really buy in to the idea of a full rebuild being needed when you have the likes of Real and Chelsea sacking managers every other season and still competing for top honors. You're telling me that arguably the richest club around needs a 3-4 rebuild every time to compete?

What the club needs is a good restructuring up top and getting away from the whole notion that a manger should have total control over club dealings moreso than a total rebuild.

Most modern top clubs have someone in a role dedicated to handling recruitment who works in tandem with the manager to build a squad to help execute whatever coherent long term strategy/plan they've come up with. United seems to be only club where managers expect to be given the power to sign any and everyone they want on a whim regardless of whether it lines up with the clubs long term aims or strategy

Need footy men back in charge of footy related decisions...

Real Madrid can afford to sack managers when they have the pull and spending mentality to bring in the absolute best quality that Europe has to offer. Even if their manager is buns (like this season) they can still make a deep run in the CL off the strength of their squad alone. And if not, they have a trophy cabinet that will persuade any player that coming there is the best option. If United wants to be on that level they need to win something of note. Sure United is the richest club, but they aren’t the biggest club. What attracts fans and investors isn’t the same as what will attract the best players. Especially when there’s 4-5 other teams in the same league better than you. Plus the competition can pay similar wages.

Chelsea wins the league one season then the next they drop out of every European competition in a rinse and repeat cycle that somehow works for them. If United wants to be in that position, you have to take the risks involved. But you have to be well prepared like Chelsea is. Chelsea will sign a manager and back him completely that first season, win the league then crash out and sack him year 2-3. But you have to completely subscribe to that managers philosophy of football for that time being. Chelsea doesn’t have a historic “identity”. Their players change style with the manager, defensive, attacking, Sarri-ball, whatever wins is what they roll with.

But you can’t have it both ways. You can’t want a manager to play the “United way”, but hire him based on his achievements playing a completely different style of football then expect him to change up what worked for him. It’s going to fail every time.

But I agree, United need football minded individuals back in charge because they’ll sort the issues out

RAC1 is reporting Barca has secured the loan of out of favor CB Jeison Murillo from Valencia. I wonder what happened between him & Marcelino? I’d actually start this dude over oompa looompa.

Quick moment of appreciation for Pepe, a solid veteran addition to Wolves. Hopefully he makes our back line stronger. But here’s a look back at one of his greatest highlights...

The commentator :rofl:

Another angle

:rofl: :rofl:

Dude went absolutely berserk, one of the craziest things I’ve ever seen in footy

Last edited:
Hat trick Bale!

Don’t remember the last time I saw him smile like that in a white shirt. He’s occupying the left wing and Marcelo has 2 assists to him. Could be a new tandem :nerd:

Starting to think a super villain kidnapped the real Modric after he won the golden ball and replaced him with whatever we’ve been watching the last few months

I understand Father Time is undefeated, but a sudden drop off like this without any injury is strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom