⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jackie Mac get the **** out. You don't have to agree with Kyrie but to boil it down saying yes you are property :lol: :smh: glad I don't listen to whatever pod that is

Yeah I heard this on Russillo's pod with her and Bill Simmons; instantly disappointed. Jackie is great and I love most of her stuff but the lack of lenses or optics with that comment is crazy. No damn player is property, it's their services that are being rendered via contract. He obviously isn't trying to play right now for whatever reason and they're taking money from him, which it seems he's content with, that's his discretion. To say he's letting his teammates or Nets fans down, that's okay. But to suggest that he's owned property was crazy ignorant. Was it because everybody on that pod is white AND Celtics fans? I don't know...

Yup...

If it's the other stuff going on in the world that's got his mind in other places, that's certainly understandable.

But miss me with the 'woe is me' nonsense about being someone's property while you're cashing $7m a year as a rookie that had to move to Cleveland. Boohoo.

yeah Going full on Bull in a China shop on this one is not it.

Bill Simmons and his platform are slowly becoming Parler.

What have the Celtics accomplished though in the grand scheme of things post 2008? Seriously.

Show have won THREE chips since then

Depends on what you perceive as an accomplishment. If it's only championships, then nothing. Not sure dealing in absolutes is fair though unless you completely disregard the spectrum that includes every other team.

could a professional league exist if players were able to choose what teams
🤔
kyrie going break the mode. would love to see him involved in running a basketball league

This is how international soccer operates (although on a much larger scale). Teams have soccer academies where they train kids as young as 12. Each team scouts and recruits young kids. Trains them for years through their academies (which are essentially minor league, farm systems) with the hopes of eventually promoting these players to their top team.

Yup...

If it's the other stuff going on in the world that's got his mind in other places, that's certainly understandable.

But miss me with the 'woe is me' nonsense about being someone's property while you're cashing $7m a year as a rookie that had to move to Cleveland. Boohoo.

This ain't it

The pick swaps a few years down the line aren't nothing though. That's how Boston ended up with Tatum.

Nets will be really good for the next few years, but things could look a lot different after that.
Yea, Houston clearly got a good haul. I’d probably have preferred Simmons over the uncertainty, but that dude is an extremely flawed player himself a the foundational piece for a trade. Given Embiid’s health, Morey is foolish for letting Maxey hold up that deal. Although it sounds like Tilman started playing funny with the picks he wanted as well. Having a **** meddling owner will do that, though.

that and salary cap
guys like kd, steph, and bron should be making 100m a yr

That's just dumb. Abolishing the draft and abolishing the salary cap would turn the NBA into a worse version of international soccer where literally the only difference between winning and losing is having a wealthy owner. Top players like LeBron and AD would be making $70m or $80m per year and a rookie like Zion would be making $25-$30m. There would be even worse imbalance than it is now.

This is how international soccer operates (although on a much larger scale). Teams have soccer academies where they train kids as young as 12. Each team scouts and recruits young kids. Trains them for years through their academies (which are essentially minor league, farm systems) with the hopes of eventually promoting these players to their top team.
is this similiar to mlb? teams set up shop in the Dominican Rep and sign these kids up

You can just slot teams money by win-loss record and let them negotiate with players. Worst team can sign a player for $10M, best team can only sign a player for $2M.

If it doesn’t end up working this year, I can see a scenario in which this is the Nets downfall while the Knicks turn it around a bit.

This is all speculation and they probably won't do away with the draft, but the NBA would probably have to follow the path of world football and open academies and bring in cats to tryouts, house them, feed them and provide them with education etc. There would be varying subdivisions, not just NBA and G league. Teams would have youth clubs etc. I don't think the NBA is there yet financially or globablly.

is this similiar to mlb? teams set up shop in the Dominican Rep and sign these kids up

MLB is weird. American (HS/college) players go into the draft, Caribbean players get signed outright off the islands, and Japanese/Korean players have to be "posted" by their teams to be bid on by anonymous bidders and their team gets a cut.

It's similar although MLB still has a draft that allows worse teams to get better prospects. International soccer has no such structure and no way to close the gap between the halves and have nots. There's no revenue sharing, no salary cap, no luxury tax and in soccer you have the ability to "buy" players (The Lakers could pay The hornets a $100m "transfer fee" to just buy Zion outright)

Teams like Chelsea, that were historically awful, immediately become the best teams in the world the moment they get a new billionaire owner who's willing to spend money.

Simmons gotta drop 50 tonight. He gotta show me something that would have me reconsider having him on the trade black for every decent perimeter scorer.

Jackie outta line for the verbiage. A contract does not mean you are somebody's property. They're certain obligations that have to be filled in order to keep the contract but that wasn't the right way to say it.
She is on the right side of the argument when it comes to the draft, but she stated it is the most **** way possible. I cringed at her comment

The draft is here to stay too. Makes the most sense all things considered

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom