🎾 OFFICIAL AGASSI RETRO THREAD - ATC II 2024 Hot Lava 🎾

Who determines the supply?
There has been a big increase in the number of resale shops and resellers since the past 12 years. They are the buyer’s competition. I will say Nike would need to produce more of a in demand item to reduce the effect of reselling. Quantity of sales of a limited or gr thing depends on msrp and buyer’s demand.

The flaw in thinking is that resellers buy up as much stock as possible, limited or not. Not the regular buyer/collector who outnumber the resellers.

The average buyer probably would buy 1-2 pairs, let’s say. Supply could meet demand if its basically unlimited. Its not met when its limited, and here the problem of reselling comes into the situation.

A 2,900 pair sneaker ends up being bought by let’s say 10-25 resellers who are able to get 700 pairs. Thats 700 less regular buyers without a chance to buy a limited item at retail. Yes limited items are treated like lotteries or literally raffles, but the reseller makes it more unfair for those who wanted to own it in their collection or use it, instead of profit off of it. But this is “capitalism”.

Bought a pair of Hot Lavas on GOAT for $286 after tax and shipping. More than I wanted to spend on these, for sure, but I’m lucky that I’m a size 9.

Now I hope they ship.
yep. all the bigger sizes like 11, are about in the $330+ range.

There has been a big increase in the number of resale shops and resellers since the past 12 years. They are the buyer’s competition. I will say Nike would need to produce more of a in demand item to reduce the effect of reselling. Quantity of sales of a limited or gr thing depends on msrp and buyer’s demand.

The flaw in thinking is that resellers buy up as much stock as possible, limited or not. Not the regular buyer/collector who outnumber the resellers.

The average buyer probably would buy 1-2 pairs, let’s say. Supply could meet demand if its basically unlimited. Its not met when its limited, and here the problem of reselling comes into the situation.

A 2,900 pair sneaker ends up being bought by let’s say 10-25 resellers who are able to get 700 pairs. Thats 700 less regular buyers without a chance to buy a limited item at retail. Yes limited items are treated like lotteries or literally raffles, but the reseller makes it more unfair for those who wanted to own it in their collection or use it, instead of profit off of it. But this is “capitalism”.

I agree resellers do make the purchasing of said product more difficult I never refuted that at all.

But resellers only eat when Nike under produces a shoe at this point. This isn't like 2020 where every single shoe was selling out and reselling. The vast majority of retro Nikes can be had for retail or even below as long as their not super hyped.

I wouldn't classify this shoe as super hyped either because it wasn't just grossly underproduced. If Nike announced a wider release of the ATC 2 lava and that foot stores were getting pairs we would be seeing prices on after market sites plummet.

I agree resellers do make the purchasing of said product more difficult I never refuted that at all.

But resellers only eat when Nike under produces a shoe at this point. This isn't like 2020 where every single shoe was selling out and reselling. The vast majority of retro Nikes can be had for retail or even below as long as their not super hyped.

I wouldn't classify this shoe as super hyped either because it wasn't just grossly underproduced. If Nike announced a wider release of the ATC 2 lava and that foot stores were getting pairs we would be seeing prices on after market sites plummet.
And what started this hype train was the galaxy foams, then yeezy 2, Mags, etc. Some say the 09 yeezys or the 2011 banned or the first pigeon sb dunks, but I think the amount of reselling was not as competitive as it is today, some may have been a little bit more lucky to get a retail pair, some didn’t.

So theres such a difference between being able to get 2014 lavas and 2024 lavas. Nike made the 2024 lavas in a reimagined type of way. This developed alot of interest and demand. And then they chose to make them limited, which is an annoyance for some to obtain and a profitable sneaker for others.

Yup. Way faster than I anticipated. Wa figuring the next was the Racer Pinks in early 2025. Hopefully these are WAY more available! I can't imagine them making these limited as it's not a color that is anywhere near as loved vs the Hot Lava pair. Only the true tennis geeks & OG sneaker heads know what these are. I'll be grabbing these wherever I can!!

They’re definitely not dropping in 2 weeks. Fall 2025. I’m sure that October 1 date is a placeholder.

Nike can cut out resellers very easily if they want to.

Look at what the resell is on panda dunks vs what it used to be.

Simple supply and demand. Nike is very in tune with what products are desired. This release going the way it did was on purpose. Resellers are opportunistic, Nike creates the opportunity.
But also, look at the INTEREST in Panda Dunks now vs what they used to be.

No coincidence that Pandas were the most sought after and talked about shoe when they were limited to a few influential people on social media and in real life. They were a status symbol for the 20 and under crowd. Soon as Nike started making it so every Tom, ****, and Harry could get them it was over. Circle of popularity. Once the "not so cool" kids can get the status symbol the cool kids move on, and that thing dies in cultural relevance and therefore sales/resale.

What Nike did with these ATCIIs is the only hand they had to play in terms of trying to popularize this model before they do a bunch of bigger drops for different color ways (like the Pixels). Get people talking about it, and wanting it. Even 24 hours before this release people was still talking about "I hope I didn't enter too many raffles" and "I'll wait til discount/outlets" ... Wasn't even on any kids' radar. All Nike did was reveal that they limited and all of a sudden people who didn't care are fiending for them. All of a sudden this is the "best release of the year, with the best leather, and shape of 2024, blah blah"....

Guarantee Nike gonna drop HELLA Pixels hoping the hype from Hot Lavas carries over. It won't. I can see those coming out in a decent size GR drop and people side stepping them once they realize they not limited, and don't have resale

No coincidence that Pandas were the most sought after and talked about shoe when they were limited to a few influential people on social media and in real life. They were a status symbol for the 20 and under crowd. Soon as Nike started making it so every Tom, ****, and Harry could get them it was over. Circle of popularity. Once the "not so cool" kids can get the status symbol the cool kids move on, and that thing dies in cultural relevance and therefore sales/resale.

What Nike did with these ATCIIs is the only hand they had to play in terms of trying to popularize this model before they do a bunch of bigger drops for different color ways (like the Pixels). Get people talking about it, and wanting it. Even 24 hours before this release people was still talking about "I hope I didn't enter too many raffles" and "I'll wait til discount/outlets" ... Wasn't even on any kids' radar. All Nike did was reveal that they limited and all of a sudden people who didn't care are fiending for them. All of a sudden this is the "best release of the year, with the best leather, and shape of 2024, blah blah"....

Guarantee Nike gonna drop HELLA Pixels hoping the hype from Hot Lavas carries over. It won't. I can see those coming out in a decent size GR drop and people side stepping them once they realize they not limited, and don't have resale
Same with the Mac Attack. Every color way is bombing.

Not atc related but these look good
IMG_6664.jpeg

IMG_6684.jpeg

If they released the pixels first in low numbers, the same thing would’ve happened… the nerds and the tennis geeks fighting over them doing the same thing.

Only speaking for myself, but I wanted ultramarine air max 180s… I don’t want the black pair or the Olympic pair. I wanted the lavas I don’t want pixels or the pink.

IMG_9825.png
IMG_9826.png

the height from the last retro became shorter?
this retro’s shape looks good, the colors look better. I noticed the height difference and overall how a little smaller they look compared to the 2014. Maybe its the picture or angle.

Hmmm....impossible to compare with those pics.

Definitely agree this was intentional artificially created demand. As per the 180s, I don't care what colorways they launch after nor how limited they are, I only wanted the UM and these Lavas....Maybe hype for other colorways help with the general pop, however, most people wouldn't even have knows these existed if they weren't paying attention, no?

Personally, I just want my overpriced SX purchase to freak'n ship from the laze a** seller already so I can be done with this release and enjoy the shoes. NOT offloading my '19s until I see these in hand though as there's a high probability these never ship and the price is even more stupid when I get to re-ordering; out of principle not going much beyond what I already paid.

the top of the 2024 looks a few mm shorter than the 2014, looking at scollards post. But one of his is 11.5 the other 11. Another member will let us know.

the top of the 2024 looks a few mm shorter than the 2014, looking at scollards post. But one of his is 11.5 the other 11. Another member will let us know.
Well IF I had a pair the first thing I was going to do was take pic with 2014 2019 and 2024 lined up!

Yeah I'm still salty on missing these. 😡

IMG_9825.png
IMG_9826.png

the height from the last retro became shorter?
this retro’s shape looks good, the colors look better. I noticed the height difference and overall how a little smaller they look compared to the 2014. Maybe its the picture or angle.

I see it too, but I'm not mad at it. I think they've subtly modernised the retro with that lower, more elaborate collar height/shape. It could be that the bro just knows how to lace and present their kicks TBH because they look awesome, as do his 14s.

Damn, the resell shafting I took is justified - these look incredible. I hope mine come through and with a toe looking similar to these 24s.

Back
Top Bottom