09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Sorry to hear about Pac's dude
tired.gif
. On another note Kelly's talkinga good game...We'll see if it pans out. I got Pun by UD.

Anyone know what Kelly means when he says Paul trying to weasel out this time?
proably talking about when PW was going to move on a fight someone else since kelly was taken so long

Mayweather-Marquez comes up short at gate, draws $6.8 million
Updated 3h 37m ago | Comments 5 | Recommend 3 E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions |

By J. Michael Falgoust, USA TODAY While it remains unknown how well Floyd Mayweather's return to the ring did on pay-per-view and closed circuit, his easy 12-round decision against a Mexican opponent didn't sell out despite it being Mexican Independence weekend.
Attendance at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas was announced at 13,116, but Thursday the numbers from the Nevada State Athletic Commission showed that 12,009 tickets were sold at face value, 895 tickets were comps - or giveaways - and 2,645 went unsold.

The total gate: $6,811,300.

The base salary for Mayweather was $10 million while Juan Manuel Marquez cleared $2 million.

Golden Boy Promotions, co-promoter of the event, said after Saturday show that early reports indicated the bout would approach and possibly exceed one million PPV buys which would be a gross of at least $50 million. Richard Schaefer, CEO of GBP, said that the numbers would be released by week's end.

He also said Mayweather's next bout would be completely up to the former welterweight champion, though Schaefer is pushing for him to meet 147-pound champion Shane Mosley rather than current pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.

Pacquiao has a Nov. 14 date with Miguel Cotto. Both are promoted by Bob Arum's Top Rank.

"It's up to Floyd," Schaefer said. "Oscar had the choice to pick who he wanted to fight. Now Floyd Mayweather is in that position. He has inherited the vacant throne of pay-per-view king.

"This fight might put his average pay-per-view performance to over a million per fight. Who has done that? Nobody? When you are the pay-per-view king you can pick the dates. The date will be there for you, just like it was for Oscar."

In May, Pacquiao's junior welterweight championship bout with Ricky Hatton drew 15,368 with a $8,832,950 gate.

Anybody else have a tough time watching Fight Night Club on Versus b/c this ring announcer chick is so damn awful??

Edit** They did NOT just bring Victor Ortiz in like a superstar knowing damn well his heart pumps kool-aid. I guess De La Hoya is sticking by his quitter.

HBO Sports reported today that one million pay-per-view buys were generated from last Saturday's welterweight fight between Floyd Mayweather and Juan Manuel Marquez at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The fight was promoted by Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions.

Reminded me I gotta check out that Rafael chat see if he shaved his head as yet...

Arreola tricked everyone at the weigh-in...he had a vest under his shirt and buffer announced he was 271...he's at 251 for the fight...somewhere Rob issmiling ear to ear.

Seems like Dan is shaving his head but he wants to do it live on SC
laugh.gif

Sixteen years after they first met, Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins will finally fight again.

The light heavyweight stars signed an agreement Friday night to meet in a rematch sometime in the first quarter of 2010, according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer and Square Ring CEO John Wirt.

The deal is contingent on Jones' first winning a planned Dec. 2 fight in Australia against Australian cruiserweight Danny Green.

Under the terms of the agreement, it is a 50-50 split of the revenue. However, if there is a knockout, the winner of the fight will get 60 percent and the loser 40 percent.

When Hopkins and Jones first met in 1993, Jones won a unanimous decision to claim a vacant middleweight title.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Sixteen years after they first met, Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins will finally fight again.

The light heavyweight stars signed an agreement Friday night to meet in a rematch sometime in the first quarter of 2010, according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer and Square Ring CEO John Wirt.

The deal is contingent on Jones' first winning a planned Dec. 2 fight in Australia against Australian cruiserweight Danny Green.

Under the terms of the agreement, it is a 50-50 split of the revenue. However, if there is a knockout, the winner of the fight will get 60 percent and the loser 40 percent.

When Hopkins and Jones first met in 1993, Jones won a unanimous decision to claim a vacant middleweight title.

Came in here to post that...

*goes back to lurking*
nerd.gif

Now thats a fight
pimp.gif
im torn ive always been behind B HOP but ROY is that dude its like my parents are fighting and im caught in the middle of a divorce
laugh.gif
its nothing like that at all..

Still don't believe that fight will come off...their egos are too big. Plus, who's to say that Green won't beat RJJ...doubt it.
laugh.gif

pimp.gif
Arreola comin' in ready to fight...watch him shock the Boxingworld.

EDIT:

HBO Sports reported today that one million pay-per-view buys were generated from last Saturday's welterweight fight between Floyd Mayweather and Juan Manuel Marquez at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The fight was promoted by Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions.
pimp.gif
People still think Boxing is dead?

This helps Mayweather if/when it's time to discuss him Vs. Pac-Man. 60/40 or 55/45 in Floyd's favor...

I dont think Arreola is ready to face a guy that Jabs and is technically sound.

I always hope someone other than the Russians win so we can see soem excitement but I dont think its goin down

Vitali has never been down in his career I'm interested to see if Chris can put him on his back.

And I don't want to see Bernard/RJJ 2, I'd rather Bernard either fight Dawson/Glen or Adamek.

I forgot to ask, but did any of you watch Floyd vs JMM last week in the movie theater? if so how was it?

Back
Top Bottom