09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

I fought a guy that looked like Valuev.. I lost by TKO
smh.gif
and I was also thesmaller guy just like Valuev's opponents. Just for that, I hope Haye kicks his %%%

SHANE MOSLEY: "FLOYD'S A LITTLE INTIMIDATED AND AFRAID OF ME"
By Ben Thompson | September 24, 2009

"I think Floyd's a little intimidated and afraid of me and he doesn't really want to fight me. He wants to jump around and fight these little guys. He wants to fight Marquez and he's hoping Pacquiao will win so he can go and fight Pacquiao and then he'll go back into retirement...I know his style. I know what he's going to do and I know what he's going to try and do and I'm ready to capitalize on it," stated welterweight champion Shane Mosley as he talked about the recent confrontation he had with Floyd Mayweather Jr. after his lopsided victory over Juan Manuel Marquez. Check out what he had to say about Mayweather's performance, the confrontation and much more as Mosley makes it clear that he's eager to be the first to give Mayweaher a loss.

BT: What's good Sugar?

SM: Ah man, I'm just hanging out in LA right now.

BT: So you got the boxing world buzzing with that confrontation you had with Lil Floyd during the post-fight interview. I gotta admit, that was probably the most excitement there was on that entire card (laughing).

SM: I know. I give a lot of credit to Marquez for even going the distance. I mean, he was so little, being like two weight classes under Mayweather. For him to be able to do that was great on his part.

BT: No doubt. Can you give us a quick recap of what went down and what was said between you and Floyd?

SM: Well, first of all, I heard my name being mentioned. Max Kellerman called my name and started walking towards him and I see Mayweather flagging me over. I said, alright, maybe he wants to fight. He just did his warm-up fight and now he's ready to fight the welterweight champion. So I just went over there and I was like, "Yeah, let's give the fans what they want to see, a real fight; a good fight with two great fighters that fight!" I don't know if he liked that too much so he kind of got mad at Max Kellerman and was wanting to beat up Max Kellerman. All Max did was say there was another welterweight fighter out there by the name of Shane Mosley and that just threw Floyd for a loop. I think Floyd's a little intimidated and afraid of me and he doesn't really want to fight me. He wants to jump around and fight these little guys. He wants to fight Marquez and he's hoping Pacquiao will win so he can go and fight Pacquiao and then he'll go back into retirement. He'll steal money like he said on ESPN when he said he was going to steal some more money and then go back off and do such and such. That's what I really don't understand. Everybody wants to retire now. I mean, Mayweather's talking about he wants to retire, Pacquiao wants to retire and be President of the Philippines, Cotto wants to retire after the fight with Pacquiao; all that means is that nobody wants to fight Sugar Shane Mosley.

BT: Floyd was trying to accuse you of being disrespectful by stealing his shine and...

SM: (CUtting in) There wasn't no shine. There wasn't no shine. It was a snoozer and Floyd should be ashamed of beating up the lightweight champion of the world and really, he's not even a lightweight. He's really a jr. lightweight. He moved up and beat Juan Diaz, who's pretty much a lightweight, and that was good because it showed that he's pound-for-pound one of the best fighters, Marquez. But to jump from jr. lightweight all the way up to welterweight and try to fight somebody like a Mayweather that doesn't really engage or anything, I mean, that's like two or three different weight classes, you can't do that. It would be hard for me to jump up and fight a guy like Roy Jones or somebody back when I was pound-for-pound and he was considered to be pound-for-pound. That's just not fair.

BT: That's funny you say that because Floyd claims the only reason why he fought Marquez was because Marquez called him out and...

SM: (Cutting in) I called him out before Marquez. I called him out before, but nobody heard me. I said yeah, I want to fight Mayweather and I called him out right after he fought Oscar. I was like, "Okay, you fought Oscar. Good. You made your money, now fight me!"

BT: Right. You called him out then and you called him out after the Marquez fight. When Marquez called him out, it was okay, but when you called him out, he said you were being disrespectful. It seems like when he actually has guys in his own weight class calling him out, he wants to get defensive.

SM: He didn't say that when he was calling people out. When he was coming up, he was calling everybody out. He would say the same thing. He was calling out everybody, taking microphones and doing all kinds of crazy stuff. Now when it's done to him, he gets all defensive; he gets all scared and cries like a little baby.

BT: I saw Bernard up there with you guys when everything went down. What was Bernard saying?

SM: Bernard was probably saying a whole lot of things. "Fight the real welterweight champion" and stuff. Bernard was all over him. Bernard said a lot of things. He pissed him off some more. After, me and Bernard was basically telling him he needs to fight a real welterweight champion, not being disrespectful or anything, but just saying that he needs to fight a real fighter, he got scared, intimidated and what did he do? He wants to beat up Max Kellerman now (laughing). He don't want to fight Bernard, he don't want to fight me, but he'll fight Max Kellerman. He'll beat Max up. Actually, Max can beat him up. I was asking Max, because I know Max did a little bit of boxing in New York a little bit back when Zab Judah was coming up so he can box a little bit too as well, so maybe he might want to throw a few blows at Mayweather and see what happens. Mayweather would definitely fight him for some good money too. Mayweather would fight Max, he'll fight Marquez, he'll fight Pacquiao, he'll fight all the little guys. He may even fight Juan Diaz next.

BT: (Laughing) Max might weigh too much for Floyd.

SM: Yeah, but Max doesn't have that experience so he'll fight Max (laughing).

BT: (Laughing) What did you think about Floyd not even bothering to make the catchweight of 144 pounds?

SM: He knew he wasn't going down to 144. He figured he'd give away $600,000, not hurt himself or anything and blow up to whatever weight he went up to. Like I said, Marquez is really a jr. lightweight. He weighed in at 142 and probably went to the ring at 142 (laughing).

BT: (Laughing) It was pretty much an unfair fight, but just from what you saw out of Floyd in the ring, what did you think about his performance after being out of the ring for two years.

SM: It looks like he still has some speed and snap. I mean, I'll just be real, he's a talented fighter. He does good things, but it's hard to tell anything when you're fighting somebody so small. You can't really judge him and say, "Wow. He really looked good." It's hard for me to judge that. I can't judge really what he did. It looked like a little sparring session. Just like he said on ESPN, he went and stole some money and it's back off into the sunset. He paid his tax bill or whatever he had to pay and it's off into the sunset.

BT: I pretty much expected Floyd to win. I think the only thing that kind of shocked me was that Marquez only landed like 60 punches or something like that.

SM: 69 punches. That's shocking too, but it's the way you fight. If Floyd don't want you to land anything, he can move around, duck and dodge, and, you know, especially with a little guy. I mean, come on. When a guy is so much smaller than you, it's not even fair. It wasn't even a fair fight really. It was like him going in there and doing a sparring session, picking up a check and gone, claiming he's the best pound-for-pound and all that stuff. It's not fair to the fans. It's not fair to anybody. It's not fair to Marquez. It's just not...he needs to be fighting welterweights. If he came back and he fought Berto, if he came back and he fought Clottey or Margarito or myself, well, he wouldn't even have to fight me first because I'm the champion, but if he just fought anybody in the welterweight division, then I could say, "Okay, he looked good doing this and doing that against this opponent." But I can't judge that. Even if he went to the 140-pound division and fought somebody in the 140-pound divison that moved up to 47, Timothy Bradley or somebody, anybody, anybody in the 140-pound division, Nate Campbell, just fight anybody around your weight. You can't fight guys that are 130 pounds and make them move up to 47 and you don't even make 144. I mean, come on.

BT: Yeah, that's true. That's messed up when you put it like that.

SM: It's sad. It's just sad and there's no way around it. They wouldn't dare let me in the ring with anybody like Marquez. People wouldn't buy it. They'll criticize me, they'll talk bad about me and they'll almost want to ban me from boxing if I were to fight Marquez (laughing).

BT: (Laughing) Wow.

SM: They wouldn't even let me, at the time when Mayweather fought Arturo Gatti and the time he fought Carlos Baldomir, they didn't even want me to fight them two guys. I couldn't even fight them.

BT: Yeah, I think I remember them [HBO] rejecting Arturo Gatti as an opponent for you at one point.

SM: Yeah. They rejected Gatti. HBO, they rejected Gatti as an opponent for me and then Mayweather turns around and fights him. And then after that, I said, "Let me fight Carlos Baldomir." Mayweather just fought him and I think maybe I had lost to Winky or something like that so I said, "Let me fight Carlos Baldomir. I'll go back down to welterweight. Let me fight him." They said, "Oh, no. Mayweather just beat him up." I said, "Well, I mean, I just lost. Baldomir beat Arturo Gatti and Zab Judah. Mayweather beat him, but let's see how I do with him and we can make a match with me and Mayweather." They said, "Oh, no, no, no." They rejected me from Carlos Baldomir. I'm like, what's going on? Then Carlos Baldomir goes up to 154 and he fights Vernon Forrest. So I'm like, wait a minute, how does this happen? It's crazy. For me to fight Juan Manuel Marquez? Come on! I give Marquez all the credit in the world. I think that he's a great fighter and I respect him. I watch his tapes. I watch him fight. I like the way he fights. I like his style. I like everything that he does. He's got good power. He's got good speed. He's a technician. He's all that. At 130, 135 pounds, he's all that. I'd put my money on him, but you put him in there with me, I mean, come on. That's like me fighting Chad Dawson right now. I mean, yeah, I believe that I'm more skilled, I believe I'm pound-for-pound the best, I believe I'm this and that, but the man is a light heavyweight. Southpaw, tall, I mean, come on. He's good. He's champion. It'd be like me fighting Bernard Hopkins.

BT: I don't know, I'd give you a pretty good shot against Bernard. Bernard's getting up there in age (laughing).

SM: Oh, I'd have a good shot. I'd have a good shot against Bernard. Maybe that's something that actually might happen, but the fact is Bernard's a light heavyweight and I'm a welterweight. It's just different. We're not in the same weight class. He has a lot of advantages. I would say it's more like fighting Chad Dawson because Chad Dawson is a mover. He moves around, he boxes and I'd have to run in and try to get him. Bernard will probably plant a little bit more and try to do stuff, maybe, because Bernard moves a lot too. It's just the styles of the fight, a counterpuncher against a counterpuncer and then you have Marquez being so much smaller and Mayweather being so much bigger, it just wasn't fair. It wasn't fair.

BT: I didn't even get a chance to see Marquez doing anything against Mayweather. In fact, I didn't see any of Juan Manuel Marquez in that fight with Mayweather. I don't know if it's because he moved up in weight or because Floyd was just shutting him down like that, but...

SM: (Cutting in) That's exactly what it was. He moved up in weight. He's a 130-pounder. He's faster at 130, he has more power, everything. He goes up to 142, loses his speed, loses his snap, loses his power, because he hits harder when he's at 135 than he does at 142, I mean, all of these disadvantages, he was just at a disadvantage from the jump. He did everything he could do, he fought his heart out, went the distance with the guy, I mean, come on. Margarito didn't even go the distance with me. He went the distance with Floyd.

BT: I take it it would be a totally different fight with Sugar Shane Mosley in there with Mayweather. You do a pretty mean imitation of Floyd and his style.

SM: Right! I know his style. I know what he's going to do and I know what he's going to try and do and I'm ready to capitalize on it!

Valuev so goddamn big and muscular and punches softer than Juan Diaz. Didn't he lose to Jean "Watch Paint Dry" Ruiz? Or was it a draw?

He's lost his buzz by looking like such a pansy pulling out of both fights with the Klitschko brothers after talking so much +!%%.

I hope Valuev annihilates him and we don't have to hear from him again.

Ouch
laugh.gif

I just don't like fighters who talk that much and then back down. Granted the back injury set him back. But the second fight was there for him and hebacked away. His chin was paper soft at 190 too. I don't see him sticking around heavyweight too long even if he does beat Valuev. He ever fight Wlad orVitali it's lights out in rounds 3-5.

He talks alot but its needed when fighters like Wlad and Vitali are the faces of the division.

That beer looks delicious. I want one.

No. It was mentioned but at the time, Floyd was a Friday nite fight guy and Shane was goin after guys like oscar in his prime.
what the hell are you talking about?

and if shane wants to fight a smaller fighter then go ahead nothing wrong with it, just dont call out others for doing it when your doing the samething

Originally Posted by Proshares

He's lost his buzz by looking like such a pansy pulling out of both fights with the Klitschko brothers after talking so much +!%%.

I hope Valuev annihilates him and we don't have to hear from him again.

Exactly^...

And the LAST THING the heavyweight division needs is fighters posing and then backing out of fights because they're scared

Mayweather disrespected Marquez, boxing

Thursday, September 24, 2009 | Print Entry

Floyd Mayweather Jr. didn't take nearly enough grief for not making weight for Saturday's fight with Juan Manuel Marquez. Missing weight happens from time to time for fighters. It's never good, but, alas, it happens.

However, what really ticks me off is the way this one went down. I truly believe Mayweather, who was 146 pounds, never had any intention of making the contract weight of 144. Ever. Not from the day the deal was done in late April until the time he stepped on the scale Friday.

He treated Marquez like a chump and got away with it by paying him a few extra bucks. But, really, what is $600,000 when Mayweather stands to earn eight figures even after paying Marquez and paying off more than $5 million in IRS debts, especially when all indications are that the pay-per-view is going through the roof and likely will crack 1 million buys? Mayweather also disregarded the Nevada State Athletic Commission's request for a bout contract (which lists the weight) to be filed in a timely fashion. Instead he waited until just minutes before the weigh-in.

Why do you think the contract weight was kept such a secret for the entire promotion, even though I did my own digging and got the contract weight correct from Day 1? Because Mayweather never intended to make it. Still, nobody from the promotion would speak about what the weight was on the record until Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, with his back to the wall, had no choice but to address it after the weigh-in debacle.

The whole weight thing was fishy from the outset, and then the weight was suddenly changed from 144 to 147 at the last minute to accommodate Mayweather. Golden Boy, Marquez's promoter, did its fighter a disservice by not protecting him in any way all in the name of not upsetting Mayweather, the prima donna. Better not upset the star because he stands to make Golden Boy a lot more money than Marquez on future fights. Even though Golden Boy doesn't have an official promotional contract with Mayweather, it does have a relationship with him going forward.

HBO was also complicit in weight-gate, simply turning the other way and never insisting that a basic fact of the promotion it supported to the hilt be announced to the public, especially when the media asked for it time and again. I've covered boxing for close to a decade. I don't remember a single fight in which the weight was kept a secret despite repeated requests.

Now, did two pounds make the difference between Mayweather winning and losing? Probably not. But that still doesn't make it right for him to run roughshod over everyone, and it sure wasn't right for everyone around him to facilitate the fraud. Mayweather should have been a professional about it and made the weight.

It was one thing for Mayweather to select Marquez, the lightweight champion and a much smaller man, as his comeback opponent. But for Mayweather to give himself an even greater advantage against a man who weighed 142 pounds, seven more than he had ever weighed for a fight in his life, showed no class.

If Mayweather wonders why he hasn't gotten more credit for his lopsided victory over Marquez, he need only look in the mirror.

By the way, if there's a silver lining to Marquez losing, and losing badly, it might be that thousands of young Mexican boxing hopefuls won't ever drink their own pee given how poorly that whole thing worked out.

• It was a bad night for Marquez, but an even worse one for his trainer, Nacho Beristain, who went 0-2 on the night. In addition to Marquez losing, Beristain also trains Vicente Escobedo, who was outclassed by Michael Katsidis in their lightweight bout.

• I've always been an admirer of Shane Mosley because he's always had a lot of class on top of his great talent. But I thought he showed no class by getting in the way of Mayweather's postfight interview on the pay-per-view, no doubt egged on by fellow Golden Boy partner Bernard Hopkins, who couldn't keep himself out of the camera frame if his life depended on it. Mosley has been making desperate callouts for months. First it was a rematch with Miguel Cotto, then Manny Pacquiao and now Mayweather. He's calling out everyone other than the dude he might actually fight, Andre Berto. There's a time and place to do what Mosley did and it's not 30 seconds after Mayweather won his fight. He did deserve at least a few minutes to enjoy his moment. Maybe Mosley has been hanging out too much with Kanye West?

• There's been a lot of talk about a rematch between Juan Diaz and Paulie Malignaggi after the hometown decision Diaz got in Houston when they met Aug. 22. HBO, which did the fight, was interested enough in the rematch of the excellent fight that it met with Malignaggi and promoter Lou DiBella a few weeks ago and told them to their face they wanted to do it again. But there's a difference between genuinely wanting to do a rematch and lip service. How else to explain HBO's offer this week of only $750,000 for a Dec. 12 card? That's the same amount HBO paid last time even though the rematch is much bigger after all the publicity the first fight received. And instead of a co-promotion between Golden Boy and DiBella, it would be solely a Golden Boy-promoted card as part of its output deal with the network or a makeup call to Golden Boy for handling potential Mosley and Hopkins dates like hand grenades. Under the terms offered, don't count on a rematch.

• I think Golden Boy's signing of prodigy Jorge Linares is the best in company history so far.

• The first time a press conference was planned to announce the Kelly Pavlik-Paul Williams middleweight championship fight, it was called off the day before because of Pavlik's staph infection and the fight was left in limbo. Now, they'll try it again. Pavlik promoter Top Rank and Williams promoter Dan Goossen are planning a Sept. 29 news conference at the New York Giants practice facility in New Jersey to formally announce the fight is back on for Dec. 5 in Atlantic City. It's about time.

• I had a Showtime camera crew at my house this week to tape an interview for a preview show it is producing on the upcoming Super Six World Boxing Classic. Spending a half hour talking about the tournament got me even more pumped up for it to start. The three opening-round fights are Arthur Abraham-Jermain Taylor and Carl Froch-Andre Dirrell on Oct. 17 and Mikkel Kessler-Andre Ward on Nov. 21, and there's not a bad match in the bunch. But if I had to pick, I am most interested in the Kessler-Ward showdown.

• Gotta give a big thank you to Scott Ghertner, who handles media relations at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. I've worked with him on dozens of fights over the years and he's always been a huge help. But last Saturday night he went above and beyond the call of duty to help me out during the Mayweather-Marquez undercard when the wireless in the Grand Garden Arena crapped out. Now, if only he could get the Ms. Pacman game back into the press room for big fights.

• Paging Sergio Martinez.

• Organizers of the Nov. 7 Nikolai Valuev-David Haye heavyweight title bout struck a deal with mandatory challenger John Ruiz to step aside. Why didn't I think of paying Ruiz not to fight years ago?

• So, Ricardo Mayorga is suing Don King and wants to participate in mixed martial arts. I can't see either working out too well for Mayorga. He's a buffoon.

• I've got nothing against Rocky Juarez. In fact, I like him. He's a good guy and an honest fighter. But after six title shots, I don't think I need to see him another one, at least for awhile.

DVD pick of the week: Got a few DVDs of older fights recently from a buddy of mine, so I've been watching. One of them I especially enjoyed. It was from May 23, 1981 at famed Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. The CBS telecast (those were the days!) featured Wilfred Benitez, four fights removed from his welterweight title loss to Sugar Ray Leonard, challenging Maurice Hope for a junior middleweight title. It was a good fight that Benitez was controlling when he knocked Hope cold with a right hand against the ropes in the 12th round of the scheduled 15-rounder. It was a spectacular knockout. Benitez knew it was over, grinning widely as Hope fell to the canvas. The victory gave Benitez a championship in his third division. He would successfully defend the title twice, including a win against Roberto Duran, before losing it via tight decision to Thomas Hearns.

i really think Rafel hates PBF

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Floyd Mayweather Jr. didn't take nearly enough grief for not making weight for Saturday's fight with Juan Manuel Marquez. Missing weight happens from time to time for fighters. It's never good, but, alas, it happens.

However, what really ticks me off is the way this one went down. I truly believe Mayweather, who was 146 pounds, never had any intention of making the contract weight of 144. Ever. Not from the day the deal was done in late April until the time he stepped on the scale Friday.

He treated Marquez like a chump and got away with it by paying him a few extra bucks. But, really, what is $600,000 when Mayweather stands to earn eight figures even after paying Marquez and paying off more than $5 million in IRS debts, especially when all indications are that the pay-per-view is going through the roof and likely will crack 1 million buys? Mayweather also disregarded the Nevada State Athletic Commission's request for a bout contract (which lists the weight) to be filed in a timely fashion. Instead he waited until just minutes before the weigh-in.

Why do you think the contract weight was kept such a secret for the entire promotion, even though I did my own digging and got the contract weight correct from Day 1? Because Mayweather never intended to make it. Still, nobody from the promotion would speak about what the weight was on the record until Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, with his back to the wall, had no choice but to address it after the weigh-in debacle.

The whole weight thing was fishy from the outset, and then the weight was suddenly changed from 144 to 147 at the last minute to accommodate Mayweather. Golden Boy, Marquez's promoter, did its fighter a disservice by not protecting him in any way all in the name of not upsetting Mayweather, the prima donna. Better not upset the star because he stands to make Golden Boy a lot more money than Marquez on future fights. Even though Golden Boy doesn't have an official promotional contract with Mayweather, it does have a relationship with him going forward.

HBO was also complicit in weight-gate, simply turning the other way and never insisting that a basic fact of the promotion it supported to the hilt be announced to the public, especially when the media asked for it time and again. I've covered boxing for close to a decade. I don't remember a single fight in which the weight was kept a secret despite repeated requests.

Now, did two pounds make the difference between Mayweather winning and losing? Probably not. But that still doesn't make it right for him to run roughshod over everyone, and it sure wasn't right for everyone around him to facilitate the fraud. Mayweather should have been a professional about it and made the weight.

It was one thing for Mayweather to select Marquez, the lightweight champion and a much smaller man, as his comeback opponent. But for Mayweather to give himself an even greater advantage against a man who weighed 142 pounds, seven more than he had ever weighed for a fight in his life, showed no class.

If Mayweather wonders why he hasn't gotten more credit for his lopsided victory over Marquez, he need only look in the mirror.

By the way, if there's a silver lining to Marquez losing, and losing badly, it might be that thousands of young Mexican boxing hopefuls won't ever drink their own pee given how poorly that whole thing worked out.

• It was a bad night for Marquez, but an even worse one for his trainer, Nacho Beristain, who went 0-2 on the night. In addition to Marquez losing, Beristain also trains Vicente Escobedo, who was outclassed by Michael Katsidis in their lightweight bout.

• I've always been an admirer of Shane Mosley because he's always had a lot of class on top of his great talent. But I thought he showed no class by getting in the way of Mayweather's postfight interview on the pay-per-view, no doubt egged on by fellow Golden Boy partner Bernard Hopkins, who couldn't keep himself out of the camera frame if his life depended on it. Mosley has been making desperate callouts for months. First it was a rematch with Miguel Cotto, then Manny Pacquiao and now Mayweather. He's calling out everyone other than the dude he might actually fight, Andre Berto. There's a time and place to do what Mosley did and it's not 30 seconds after Mayweather won his fight. He did deserve at least a few minutes to enjoy his moment. Maybe Mosley has been hanging out too much with Kanye West?

• There's been a lot of talk about a rematch between Juan Diaz and Paulie Malignaggi after the hometown decision Diaz got in Houston when they met Aug. 22. HBO, which did the fight, was interested enough in the rematch of the excellent fight that it met with Malignaggi and promoter Lou DiBella a few weeks ago and told them to their face they wanted to do it again. But there's a difference between genuinely wanting to do a rematch and lip service. How else to explain HBO's offer this week of only $750,000 for a Dec. 12 card? That's the same amount HBO paid last time even though the rematch is much bigger after all the publicity the first fight received. And instead of a co-promotion between Golden Boy and DiBella, it would be solely a Golden Boy-promoted card as part of its output deal with the network or a makeup call to Golden Boy for handling potential Mosley and Hopkins dates like hand grenades. Under the terms offered, don't count on a rematch.

• I think Golden Boy's signing of prodigy Jorge Linares is the best in company history so far.

• The first time a press conference was planned to announce the Kelly Pavlik-Paul Williams middleweight championship fight, it was called off the day before because of Pavlik's staph infection and the fight was left in limbo. Now, they'll try it again. Pavlik promoter Top Rank and Williams promoter Dan Goossen are planning a Sept. 29 news conference at the New York Giants practice facility in New Jersey to formally announce the fight is back on for Dec. 5 in Atlantic City. It's about time.

• I had a Showtime camera crew at my house this week to tape an interview for a preview show it is producing on the upcoming Super Six World Boxing Classic. Spending a half hour talking about the tournament got me even more pumped up for it to start. The three opening-round fights are Arthur Abraham-Jermain Taylor and Carl Froch-Andre Dirrell on Oct. 17 and Mikkel Kessler-Andre Ward on Nov. 21, and there's not a bad match in the bunch. But if I had to pick, I am most interested in the Kessler-Ward showdown.

• Gotta give a big thank you to Scott Ghertner, who handles media relations at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. I've worked with him on dozens of fights over the years and he's always been a huge help. But last Saturday night he went above and beyond the call of duty to help me out during the Mayweather-Marquez undercard when the wireless in the Grand Garden Arena crapped out. Now, if only he could get the Ms. Pacman game back into the press room for big fights.

• Organizers of the Nov. 7 Nikolai Valuev-David Haye heavyweight title bout struck a deal with mandatory challenger John Ruiz to step aside. Why didn't I think of paying Ruiz not to fight years ago?

• So, Ricardo Mayorga is suing Don King and wants to participate in mixed martial arts. I can't see either working out too well for Mayorga. He's a buffoon.

• I've got nothing against Rocky Juarez. In fact, I like him. He's a good guy and an honest fighter. But after six title shots, I don't think I need to see him another one, at least for awhile.

DVD pick of the week: Got a few DVDs of older fights recently from a buddy of mine, so I've been watching. One of them I especially enjoyed. It was from May 23, 1981 at famed Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. The CBS telecast (those were the days!) featured Wilfred Benitez, four fights removed from his welterweight title loss to Sugar Ray Leonard, challenging Maurice Hope for a junior middleweight title. It was a good fight that Benitez was controlling when he knocked Hope cold with a right hand against the ropes in the 12th round of the scheduled 15-rounder. It was a spectacular knockout. Benitez knew it was over, grinning widely as Hope fell to the canvas. The victory gave Benitez a championship in his third division. He would successfully defend the title twice, including a win against Roberto Duran, before losing it via tight decision to Thomas Hearns.
What the hell are youuuu talking about??
laugh.gif
Dude just speaksfacts. U cant get mad at the truth. Floyd has yall boys sooo fooled its unreal. I will give him his props when he starts fighting dudes in his division. Win orlose.

Raf just knows that if/when PBF and Pac fight and if they do it at a catch weight that Money will do the SAME EXACT thing
laugh.gif
that's partially whyhe's so mad.

Originally Posted by TCERDA

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

What the hell are youuuu talking about??
laugh.gif
Dude just speaks facts. U cant get mad at the truth. Floyd has yall boys sooo fooled its unreal. I will give him his props when he starts fighting dudes in his division. Win or lose.

Raph speaks the truth, Floyd new exactly what he was doing when he signed the contract. I mean c'mon there's millions of dollars at stake.With that being said, I dont think there would of been much of a difference if he came in at a couple of pounds lower. He still would have the size and speedadvantage. It just goes to show you why so many people want him to fight a true welterweight. I mean cmon now how long has he been in the division, dude issaying is he is the greatest of all time and he's never fought Mosley or Cotto? Floyd got everyong duped.

If David Haye gets pounded by Valuev (
sick.gif
), then he's a smart man to dodge the Klitschko brothers.

Am I the only one who's completely awe struck by the two titans? It seems like there's a lot of love for Chris Arreola on this board, and I understandthe sentiments of wanting an American champion, but I love these two guys as boxers. Even though Wladimir started off very rocky when Vitali was entering thelimelight, he has recovered very-well, and I love seeing these two succeed. Average American audiences may not love it, but I do. They been knockingheavyweights out for years now.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

It seems like there's a lot of love for Chris Arreola on this board, and I understand the sentiments of wanting an American champion
Really?
laugh.gif

Almost everyone on here has picked Klitschko to win.

Well, yeah they HAVE picked him to win, but it's not really saying much.
laugh.gif

Vitali is the favorite.

But I'm saying, there are a lot of fans of certain people, but not really for Vitali.

[h2]Pacquiao mourns mentor's death[/h2]
By NICK GIONGCO

September 24, 2009, 7:54pm

pacquiao_23.jpg

Manny Pacquiao continues his training in Baguio City despite the death of his former manager and mentor Rod Nazario on Thursday. (Photo by RIZALDY COMANDA)

With a heavy heart, Manny Pacquiao showed up for training on Thursday in Baguio despite learning about the passing of the man widely credited for his rise to superstardom.

"I am deeply saddened by the passing of Rodolfo Nazario, who was not only a loving father and husband but a great loss to me and the sport of boxing," said Pacquiao in a statement released shortly after Nazario's death at age 74 owing to lung cancer at the Perpetual Help Hospital in Las Piñas.

"I will forever cherish our fondest memories in and outside the ring. We will terribly miss him," said Pacquiao, who fought under Nazario from 1995 until 2005.

Pacquiao, who is preparing for a November 14 showdown with Miguel Cotto, said he will take a break from his hectic schedule in Baguio to pay his last respects to Nazario on Sunday.

A day after Pacquiao arrived from the recent publicity tour in the US and Puerto Rico, he came to visit Nazario at the hospital twice and even promised the ailing boxing man that he will put one of his fighters - super-flyweight Eden Sonsona - in the undercard of the Cotto fight.

Nazario even celebrated his 74th birthday in style last September 12 but was rushed to the hospital after complaining of severe weakness a few days later.

It was Nazario who brought Pacquiao to the US in 2001 in search of a big fight.

After only a few weeks of training at the Wild Card Boxing Club of Freddie Roach, Nazario got a call from then promoter Murad Muhammad about a fight underneath an Oscar De La Hoya headliner at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao stole the show and stopped Lehlo Ledwaba of South Africa to win the International Boxing Federation super-bantamweight title then notched a string of victories in the next four years, the most unforgettable being his 11th-round demolition of Marco Antonio Barrera in November 2003 in San Antonio, Texas.

They parted ways in 2005, shortly after Pacquiao's defeat to Erik Morales, but they kissed and made up. In fact, when Pacquiao flattened Ricky Hatton last May, Nazario, despite his delicate situation, was at ringside in the company of pals Moy Lainez and Gerry Garcia.

"He was surrounded by his loved ones when the time came," said Moy Lainez, a close friend of Nazario.

Last Friday, a day after arriving from the grueling press tour in the US and Puerto Rico, Pacquiao dropped by the Perpetual Help Hospital in Las Piñas, Metro Manila, that afternoon after working out the Wild Card Fitness Gym on President's Ave. in Parañaque.

Pacquiao had been often seen visiting his former boss before and after every major fight.

Nazario is survived by his wife, Supreme Court Justice Minita Chico-Nazario, and children Roderick, Rommel, and Karen. He also had four children from his first wife, Emenita - Roberto, Raymundo, Dedet, and Myra.

Nazario's remains will lie in state at the Funararia Paz in Sucat, Parañaque. Interment will be announced later.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

It seems like there's a lot of love for Chris Arreola on this board, and I understand the sentiments of wanting an American champion
Really?
laugh.gif

Almost everyone on here has picked Klitschko to win.
Ya man, the only one who really likes him that much and roots for him is Rob
laugh.gif
it's an LA thing.

But I heard he's at 252 today
nerd.gif

Watching Ghost II interview now...

Anyone know what Kelly means when he says Paul trying to weasel out this time?

laugh.gif
@ Winky can't break egg shells.

Back
Top Bottom